Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Anybody Ever Fished A Cicada Fly?

From SE PA
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
hehe, yeah, when they were out a few years ago it was some of I've only got like 14 years to wait till it comes around again, lol.

Actually, I know its not that long, there are many broods, and there's periodical cicadas somewhere in PA every couple of years, it's only 17 years for a given spot.

Actually Not According to Penn State Adams, Cumberland, and Franklin Counties will have them next year. Here is the website

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/periodical-cicada

Brood XIV in 2008 was the mother load. I drove for miles on the forest roads in central Pa with the windows down to hear that amazing buzz. I'm sure that I spent a good amount of time in the area for prior hatches but never remember anything like 2008.

Posted on: 2011/5/12 15:08

From Conshy
I just spotted an article that says some states may be getting Cicada's this year....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetec ... 13-years-underground.html

Posted on: 2011/5/12 15:50

From florida
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
I hope to hit it next month in NC and/or TN.

PM me. GG

Posted on: 2011/5/12 15:57

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I just spotted an article that says some states may be getting Cicada's this year

Somewhere gets them virtually every year. Each "brood" is mapped, and no 2 broods of a given type come on the same year. So, of the 17 year cycle cicadas, there are 14 broods, which means only 3 in 17 years are they absent.

But then you have 3 broods which come every 13 years. So overall, while its possible to miss a year here and there, on average there is more than 1 brood hatching in a year, somewhere at least.

This year the Smokies and much of the south got it going on. I'm heading down, tryin to move it up to late June, I can't go any earlier than that. Anyone know when the peak of the fishing time was?

2012 will have Brood I. WV and VA mountains. Maybe even a touch of SC PA!

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fau ... as/Periodical/BroodI.html

2013 is the I-95 corridor. Chance for them on Valley Creek?
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fau ... s/Periodical/BroodII.html

Next main hatch here in PA, though, isn't until 2021.
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fau ... as/Periodical/BroodX.html

And the central PA extravaganza, like the last one, in 2025. I'll be in my mid 40's. Ugh.
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fau ... /Periodical/BroodXIV.html

Posted on: 2011/5/12 16:15

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)

Posted on: 2011/5/12 16:24

Yes. I got to fish a good deal during the last big Cicada hatch. Towards the end of the event, I finally got a good pattern worked out. Man, it looked good, fished well and even the more spooky, oft-hooked fish ate it. I had other patterns that just weren't working as well. A big fly like this in daylight and clear water has a lot of detail to give it up as a phoney. I don't think they'll last until the next session. I'll have to record how I did it so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Syl

Posted on: 2011/5/12 17:44

From Pittsburgh
I got in a few trips out to central PA for the 2008 emergence - and it was awesome. But things were kinda busy at workat that time, and I wasn't able to take off as much as I wanted to.
The next time that brood hatches however, I'll be 70. And should finally be able to fish them as much as I want I hope.

I also fished them on the green river on utah. The annual cicadas there are heavy enough that the fish take them apparantly, every year.

Posted on: 2011/5/12 23:51

From Clinton County, Pa.
In the summer of 08 I fished the Cicada hatch on Spring Creek a number of times. One word says it all, FANTASTIC! Can't wait for the next one!

Posted on: 2011/5/13 7:34

Yes. Very fond memories.

Attach file:

jpg  liveormemorex.jpg (262.79 KB)
772_4dce7abb87606.jpg 1329X727 px

Posted on: 2011/5/14 8:51

From Greensburg, PA
pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
I just spotted an article that says some states may be getting

This year the Smokies and much of the south got it going on. I'm heading down, tryin to move it up to late June, I can't go any earlier than that. Anyone know when the peak of the fishing time was?

Yes, a friend from Nashville was mentioning them last week. Not fondly I might add, but I don't think she fly fishes.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 11:25

The cicada hatch gave me considerable trouble in 2008. My cicada imitations were too small, and my 3x tippet was too light. Broke off what would have been my biggest trout ever.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 11:45

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

barbless wrote:
The cicada hatch gave me considerable trouble in 2008. My cicada imitations were too small, and my 3x tippet was too light. Broke off what would have been my biggest trout ever.
What size were your flys? 3x sounds about right to me. I tied my flies with 94840 Mustad size 4. I thought at times mine were too big. The trout would hit the fly but many times could'nt seem to get that big bug in their mouth. I did however manage to catch quite a few. I used 2x and 3x tippet on my Loomis GL3 9' 6 wt.. It was really fun casting what seemed like a Bass bug to those Trout.

Posted on: 2011/5/14 15:53

From West Chester
Out west in the Fall 2004 I took some Cicada flies to try just for the heck of it. Turns out it was a good thing I did.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/5/15 8:21

From Gunpowder River, MD
Cicada time is to the dry fly fisherman what oktoberfest is to the beer drinker. Fishing can be down right silly at times. The challange with the cicada comes in being able to cast bigger flys acurately. You still have to place it in front of the trout, and some times that requires casting under shallow tree canopy, log jams and the like. To make it extra challanging on the vise I prefer only using natural materails-no plastics-

Brood XIX is what you are reffering to.

The challange is finding decent enough water to fish over down there-If I were to drive down for brood XIX, I would concentrate on the upper Chatooga. The Chatooga is your best bet for hooking into a big, wild, brown trout in that part of the country..Should be good time-10 hour, or so, drive, well worth it to fish over an event that only happens every 13 years or so.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 13:57

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
DotMan, what is that fish? Bull trout? It's a beauty whatever it is...

Posted on: 2011/5/16 14:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com