Any alternatives to the Penn's Crk. Green Drake hatch?

froghair5

froghair5

This year I'd really like to fish a Green Drake hatch, but don't want to fight the crowds at Penns. After the hatch at Penn's the same crowd then basically follows the hatch to the Narrow of Fishing Crk. They're kind of like the "Dead Heads" of trout fishing. Can anyone suggest an alternative to either of these two places? I've heard from a couple of sources that I might have some success on Young Woman's Creek or Kettle. Anyone have any experience with the Drakes and either of these two streams?

Big pine has them too. We hit them at the Jam the other year. First weekend of June, I think.

Hit the drakes on Kettle and Pine last year - it was awesome!

Get a hold of Sandfly - Bob will hook you up big time.

Kish creek had decent numbers of green drakes the last time I fished it several years ago. It's only one of many mayflies at that time. I remember seeing 6 or 7 different mayflies coming off all at once. The fish ate everything well but I did way better with a sz. 14 light cahill or grey fox (which is the same fly if you think about it) Maybe a 12. Maybe not. I tied on my X-body green drake, but clearly saw fish were eating other stuff better. It was neat to have those big bugs coming off the water around me, though.
Syl

Cove Creek and Little Bald Eagle in Blair County have them.

It is a ne of a kind event, not that there aren't other streams with the Gr. Dr. it's just that spectacular. I'm going to try to get there this year myself. It was pretty good on Fishing Creek (CL) last year I've also caught it on some NC streams including Pine Creek, but the flies aren't as big on freestone streams as they are on limers. I'm going tosee if I can catch it on Slate Run this year.

in was told that clear shade creek gets them too ive never hit a green drake hatch whats a good size or just have a bunch of sizes to be prepared although i would love to hit the sulphur hatch on the little j some day

Upper Allegheny in Potter Cty. Both above and below Coudy.

I always thought that one of the main advantages of fishing the drake on smaller freestones (whether it was Cross Fork, YWC, Upper Kettle, EF Sinnemahoning, etc, etc. etc.) as opposed to fishing it on Penns was that the former often actually involved catching numerous fish while the latter involved far fewer fish and was a closer cousin to visiting the Shrine of Fatima or some such...

Pine Creek is a good alternative for the simple reason that there is so many miles of water and plenty of room for people to spread out. The Green Drake hatches can be quite phenomenal there too, every bit as amazing as on Penns Creek.

There are Green Drakes on many of the moderately fertile freestone streams. I've seen them on small brookie streams, where little 4-inch brookies were trying to wrestle down the big bugs. They are on Kettle, Young Womans, tribs in the Sinnemahoning drainages etc.

The more infertile, acid rain effected freestoners have low levels of bug life, including the Green Drakes.

Mill Creek in Jefferson and Clarion Counties

Canoe Creek in Blair County - not super intense, but the fish really turn on to them

If you go where you have to walk in on Penns you can get some fishing by yourself during the week.

Any alternatives to the Penn's Crk. Green Drake hatch?

maybe dreaming about it.

There are dark green drakes on some small stream in the Poconos, and there have a coffin fly as the spinner, but are smaller.

Lycoming and its tribs have a population of golden drakes and dark green drakes. However, I've never seen one species hatch in consecutive years. Is that weird?

Yeah no pressure here, just lots of drakes, green, hex, brown, and yellow.....the D.H.A.L.O. area has a lot.. Matt seems to happen here as well in some water, must be the road kill syndrum...lol...

Back