Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Any Subaru Owners

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
I have been driving a Nissan Xterra for the last 168,000 miles but the rear end is going out and it looks like its time for a new vehicle. As much as I loved the Xterra 19 MPG just isn't going to cut it any more. I have a 4x4 pickup for bad road or off road conditions. What I need is a nice SUV or crossover that will get me to my hunting and fishing spots efficiently, have room for gear and give enough traction when I get on dirt roads and wet grass. I am leading towards a Subaru Outback. Thoughts.

Posted on: 2/28 19:21

Re: Any Subaru Owners

From Landisville
We went with a Forester and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is my wife's daily driver and haven't had any issues with it. I enjoy driving it in all the weather conditions mother nature gave us the last two years. It's a big more "mini-van"ish than the outback. Read that as a little higher, more open and more room inside the vehicle in my opinion.

Posted on: 2/28 19:45

From Sinking Spring, PA
We have two Outbacks. A 2002 and a 2005. We love them. They are awesome in the snow or mud. We've bought the 2002 new and have had very few issues with it after over 160K miles. We bought the 2005 used about 6 years ago and again, very few issues. Also for an all wheel drive they get decent gas mileage.

Posted on: 2/28 20:38

From Banshee
I just got rid of my 2000 outback for a 2010 Forrester. Great vehicles, very solid and great in mud and snow. The new Outbacks are a lot bigger so they will hold a ton of gear.

Posted on: 2/28 20:48

Grab the latest issue of Consumer's Reports (April 2014 Best Cars issue). Forester is the highest rated in its class (small SUV). I'm starting to have issues w/my '09 RAV4 and if the problems continue I'll probably replace it w/a Subaru Forester. They also have the ratings for the mid & large SUV classes.

Posted on: 2/28 20:49

I drove the Forrester thinking that would be the model I would want to go with. It was a peppy vehicle but I liked the ride much better in the Outback.

Posted on: 2/28 21:11

From florida
This topic is in the Off topic. Forum

Posted on: 2/28 21:55

From Honky Tonk Lagoon
Have a 2009 Forester and absolutely love it - great in all weather conditions, holds a lot of fishing/camping gear, and a really comfortable ride.

Posted on: 3/1 6:43

I bought a 2013 Forester last Feb over 10,000 miles no problems Mpg varies from 22 in winter to 26 in summer. Great car good in this lousy weather we are having.

Posted on: 3/1 8:21

From Bucks County
We have a 2012 Forester. Seems to be a very capable, reliable vehicle.
Pro's:
-Good in bad weather
-Affordable
-Comfortable
-Decent MPG
-Reliable

Cons:
-Consumes oil straight from the factory
-Boxer engine design has been known to cause premature head gasket failure due to oil sitting on the bottom side of the gasket when vehicle is off. We have not experienced this, but it is a known issue.
-Expensive, synthetic 0-20w oil required.

We bought it because of the Consumer Reports top rating and haven't been disappointed. The oil consumption is my biggest annoyance with the car. The outback is the same drive train so these observations should be similar with that car.

Posted on: 3/1 10:30

From Pgh
I've owned nothing but Subarus since 1986. My last Impreza Outback model had 159,000 miles on it when I finally traded in on my current Impreza 2008. It has 78000 and is finally broken in. They are great little cars. Nothing fancy. But extremely dependable. Great in snow. Perfect fishing car. MPG is 30 on a trip. Not bad for AWD. The Impreza is a smaller car but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I've actually slept in it a few times with the back seats folded.

Maybe the one thing that could be better is ground clearance. I ripped an oil pan on Sugarloaf mountain because of it. It could use another few inches. Perhaps the newer ones do have more clearance I haven't checked and they do look a bit higher.

Posted on: 3/1 18:48

From Bucks County
Add me to the list. Between my wife and sons, we have four, two Legacy’s and two Outbacks. My youngest inherited my 2006 Outback with 120,000 miles on it. He’s now clocked over 160K and it has yet to require any maintenance other than headlight bulbs. I have a 2011 Outback and enjoy it. The Outback is a great fishing car in either the older or newer style. Lots of room, good MPG, and the AWD comes in handy upstate.

Posted on: 3/1 19:05

From Chester County
Quote:

greenghost wrote:
I've owned nothing but Subarus since 1986. My last Impreza Outback model had 159,000 miles on it when I finally traded in on my current Impreza 2008. It has 78000 and is finally broken in. They are great little cars. Nothing fancy. But extremely dependable. Great in snow. Perfect fishing car. MPG is 30 on a trip. Not bad for AWD. The Impreza is a smaller car but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I've actually slept in it a few times with the back seats folded.

Maybe the one thing that could be better is ground clearance. I ripped an oil pan on Sugarloaf mountain because of it. It could use another few inches. Perhaps the newer ones do have more clearance I haven't checked and they do look a bit higher.

FYI. Check out the Subaru Crosstrek. It's basically a jacked-up (higher ground clearance) Impreza.

Posted on: 3/2 7:47

I'll chime in. I have a 2010 Wrx and my wife drives a 2012 Outback. In my opinion, the Outback is the way to go here. The new version is much larger than the Forester, and it gets great mileage with the 2.5l CVT drivetrain. Average is 28 to 29 mpg, and I've seen 33 on trips for a full tank of gas. I have 87k trouble free miles on mine; she is already in the mid 40k range.

I like a bit more in the way of speed, but I'm thinking my next car might be the Outback 3.6R with the flat 6. You couldn't take either of our cars away from us, and our next cars will likely be Subarus as well.

One more thing- both of them will do things in snow/ice that would shock you. The looks you get from 4x4 trucks when pushing through 12" of snow in a wrx is priceless. I've owned F150, Chevy k1500, Ford Ranger, and currently a Toyota Sequoia; all 4x4. The Sequoia hasn't moved all winter. The subies are the best snow cars I've owned, and this winter has really let them show their stuff.

Posted on: 3/2 8:44

Thanks guys just what I am looking for. I do not want to drive my GMC pickup every time I take a fishing trip. Wanted something that can hold fishing gear and some camping stuff and be able to get around when the roads get bad. Looks like we are n for some heavy snow tonight. Might be a good time tomorrow to go for another test ride.

Posted on: 3/2 11:11

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com