Ants

N

notan641

How should you float your ant? Should it ride on top like a dry fly? Or slightly under the surface? Or along the bottom? Will a trout eat it anywhere he happens to see one? What does an ant do when it gets in the water? I have caught one fish ever with an ant but I always hear how irresistable they are to trout>

notan641 wrote:
How should you float your ant? Should it ride on top like a dry fly? Or slightly under the surface? Or along the bottom? Will a trout eat it anywhere he happens to see one? What does an ant do when it gets in the water? I have caught one fish ever with an ant but I always hear how irresistable they are to trout>

I tie mine outta foam, so they ride pretty high on the water. Never had an issue with the fish not wanting them because they were too "floaty".

+1 on the foam ant... i fished them for the first time this past spring. I tried several different patterns with different presentation and the foam ant beat them all? Of course this was one time only. I will fish them again and as always, your mileage may vary.

Another +1 on the foam ant and foam beetle. Black craft store foam sheets are cheap. They're easy to tie. Both can be tied in similar way in a few minutes. I fish them like a dry fly. They've pulled out a quite a few picky brown trout for me in low, clear water. One thing I learned is to tie a few strands of white or orange poly yarn on top to help with visibility. I have a hard time seeing a size 18 black foam ant sometimes lol.

notan641 wrote:
How should you float your ant? Should it ride on top like a dry fly?

No, terrestrials shouldn't float high like dry flies.

If you look at terrestrials, they tend to float in the surface film and most of the body tends to be under the surface (very small flying ants can be an exception). Oftentimes, the terrestrials floating on the surface are dead and their legs hang submerged below their bodies.

Foam does indeed work well precisely because it sits the fly in the surface film rather than on top in the manner of hackled dries.

notan641 wrote:
Or along the bottom? Will a trout eat it anywhere he happens to see one?

Yes, trout will eat ants anywhere in the water column.

Drowned terrestrials - this is true for beetles and hoppers too - will often get pulled under by the current and trout will eat them like nymphs drifting in the water column. Try fishing a wet ant (tied to sink) along with a nymph in dead drift, high stick method sometime. The ant can and will catch fish right on the bottom.

724flyfishing wrote: Black craft store foam sheets are cheap. They're easy to tie.

99 cents a sheet at Micheals for 2mm foam. They have a nice selection of colors too.

I've fished foam ants and they aren't my favorite. I like to tie and fish parachute style ants out of superfine dubbing in either black or brown/cinammon. I've had much more success on the parachute style. But yeah, ants work well.

Fishing an ant pattern either in and under the surface is my "default" fly pattern when nothing seems to be hatching from spring to fall, up until the hard frost.

The "windfall" (both literally and figuratively) for the FFer is when winged ants appear in the area. This usually happens in late summer early fall. The number of ants seen by the trout in an area with flying ants can approach hatch-like proportions.

I recommend you tie or buy flying ant patterns during the "hatch", but even non-winged patterns seem to take fish at this time.

Here is some flying ant info I Googled:

Flying Ants

Spectacular swarms of flying ants are a common summer phenomenon. Sometimes people will observe winged ants issuing in large numbers, pushed out by the wingless workers, from a colony established between a sidewalk crack or in a small mound. Other times only the winged forms will be seen, aggregating in large numbers around certain prominent points in the landscape.

Some background. Ants are social insects. The colony is established through the initial efforts of a mated "queen", a sexually mature female. Originally winged, after mating she sheds her wings and the no longer used wing muscles are an important source of nutrients for her during the early stages of colony development. Very, very few queens successfully survive this period and establish a functional colony.

However, if the colony makes it through this period it can begin to grow. Wingless, non-sexually mature workers are reared large numbers of winged ants emerge from colonies which subsequently help expand the colony. After several years, the colony may be well-established and then some resources are put into rearing reproductive forms. These are the winged ants, some females - the potential future queens - and the majority males.

Periodically, usually following by 3-5 days a heavy rain, the winged reproductive forms emerge from the colony in large swarms. Such swarming behavior is usually synchronized by other nearby colonies so large numbers of winged ants suddenly appear. All mating for the species takes place, often over the course of a single day. The males die and the mated females disperse to attempt establishing a new colony.

One behavior associated with some ants during mating swarms is "hilltopping". This refers to their aggregation around prominent points of a landscape where they search for mates. A large tree, the chimney of a roof or even a tractor moving across the plains might serve as such an "action site" for swarming winged ants. My favorite hilltopping site was the top of the US West tower in downtown Denver, which annually is the site for millions of harvester ants to aggregate.

Although dramatic, swarming ants pose no harm or risk of increased ant infestation. Those seen emerging from a colony were always there and are in the process of leaving the colony permanently. Mated females amongst aggregating masses similarly disperse from the area.

Link to source: http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/Pests/flyant.htm

Ants are CANDY to trout! I fish them on the surface and subsurface.

I have had success on small hard bodied drowned ants under a larger foam ant, beetle, or hopper. It is my go to set up for fishing the Savage's low-flow summer pocket water. They have no problem eating them throughout the water column in my experience.

Per Paul G. throw to the bank and fish an orange ant. GG

I've seen many posts about orange ants. (Muddy Creek) I've never seen a picture of the pattern. 16# Thread and black hackle? 18# Sparkle and furnace hen? Solid UV?

Just wondering.

I've always fished my ant (and beetle) patterns dressed to float high. And they work just fine - with the added advantage that I can often see them better floating on the surface.
If anyone has ever fished the winged ants that fall in late summer and autumn, you'll notice that they ride quite high on the waters surface too.
I've often mistaken them for a BWO hatch, because their wings stick up quite high - looking like mayfly wings IMO

What do you use to cut the shape?
I've fished the cabinet liner ants and they worked well, but were VERY hard to see. Eventually they wouldn't float when I wanted them to. I need to try the craft foam.

KeithS wrote:
What do you use to cut the shape?
I've fished the cabinet liner ants and they worked well, but were VERY hard to see. Eventually they wouldn't float when I wanted them to. I need to try the craft foam.

I just use my regular fly tying scissors. It's easy material to work with. You will just have to mess around with the shape to get it to look the way you'd like.

Thanks.

Razorblade, straight edge, and cutting board work great as well.

Using different size paper hole-punches work awesome for making perfect circles out of foam just another fyi, if you don't already know

Back