Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Another game of stocked or not.

From South Central,PA
I've been fishing stocked waters this time of year since I like to go where the action is. There have been two fish that have me wondering if they were stocked, wild, or holdover... I wont name the creek but if you look at my location, there is a C&R where I live. That's the spot.

The Brown was caught shortly after stocking. However I had hooked what I believe was the same fish in the same location a week before stocking. I did not land the fish the first time, but I got a good a glimpse of him and he fought about exactly the same both times. I'm fairly confident it was the same fish I hooked before stocking...I'm leaning toward holdover.

The rainbow was caught this past weekend after the second round of stocking. Seems really small for stocked, but I'm leaning toward thinking it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1439.JPG (191.35 KB)
5334_518869cd811e5.jpg 864X648 px

jpg  IMG_1762.JPG (195.97 KB)
5334_518869dad5585.jpg 864X781 px

Posted on: 2013/5/6 22:54

Re: Another game of stocked or not.

From Ephrata, PA
I can't tell w/ smaller bows, to be honest with you. It seems odd that they would stock such a small fish, but who knows. The brown looks stocked to me. Fins aren't in the best condition, no red tips, I don't see a blue orb behind the eye, and the dots seem REALLY dense. Hold over I think.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 23:08

From NE OH
Stocked.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 4:54

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Brown - Definitely stocked. zero doubt on this fish.

Bow - probably stocked, but I'm not good with smallish bows.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 6:19

From Johnstown, PA
I think they are both holdovers , but both healthy and if you dint eat em i'll bet they are still holdin their own. NICE!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/7 6:28

From South Central,PA
Anyone know if the state is stocking fish this small? Both were released by the way.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 13:35

From Ephrata, PA
There is a fingerling bow experiment going on in a few streams, but if I understand it correctly, no mature trout are being stocked on said stream. That wouldn't rule out a hold over brownie, though. Maybe your stream is part of that program. Also, its not unlikely that a "fingerling" got into the mix when the adults were stocked. Could also be a hatchery escape.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 13:48

Ok, this thread got me curious. Not just from this thread, but overall, due to the liberal use of the term "holdover", I'm getting the impression that everyone's definition is different than my own? It doesn't really matter, it's just semantics. But my definition:

1. From an earlier stocking this spring - definitely not a holdover

2. Stocked last fall, caught this spring - iffy. I wouldn't normally use the term, but wouldn't complain if someone did, as it's from an entirely different stocking season.

3. Stocked last spring, caught this spring - classic holdover.

i.e. the term means the fish has survived an entire summer in the stream. Used because surviving a summer is uncommon in much of PA's stocked streams, thus making it somewhat remarkable, deserving of more than a simple "stocked fish" tag. Surviving a winter is common and expected.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:31

From Ephrata, PA
I was thinking from the fall stocking. That's the least amount of time I'd consider it a "holdover".

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:33

From Lancaster Co.
I also include a fish stocked in the fall that's caught the following spring as a holdover.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:35

This stream is not stocked in the fall. It was stocked in February, and adjacent areas in March. Then again in May.

I understand the OP's reason for thinking it wasn't a May planting, as he believes he caught the same fish before that. But if from a February or March stocking, I wouldn't describe it as a holdover.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:42

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
But if from a February or March stocking, I wouldn't describe it as a holdover.

Me either. has to make it through summer or over the winter months.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:44

And on the bow, the answer is that unless it's fingerling stocked, they don't INTENTIONALLY stock rainbows this small.

That said, fingerlings often travel long distances. When they stocked the Tully with fingerling bows, I was cleaning up at the confluence with the Skuke, well below the stocking. I'm talking 20+ in a few hours. And I know they were catching a few all the way down the Skuke past Pottstown. Not sure if anywhere in this system gets fingerlings, but travelling fingerlings are not uncommon.

And a few escape one raceway and get into others, so off-species stockers, and fingerlings, sometimes get mixed in with batches of the intended fish.

But given the area of the state, wild certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility, either. I see one or two things that I question, but I suck at bows, especially small bows, so I don't trust myself to make a call.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 14:51

From Da 'Berg, PA
i normally think of a fish that has survived over winter as a holdover.

but not ones that just survive a summer.

inconsistent i know. lols.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 18:48

From South Central,PA
I believe I caught this brown in Early February just before the Feb. Stocking. Then I caught the pictured fish (which I think is the same) in Late Feb, after stocking.

My definition of holdover is 9-12 months ( from the previous years stocking).

Not many trout make it through the summer, but I have caught two rainbows in the fall and winter months. There is no fall stocking.

I was hesitant to ask the question because the topic of stocked vs. wild vs. holdover on this site...well you know!...but this is less about my personal goal as a fisherman and more about my interest in this creek. It's not the greatest but I think it has potential. I'm involved with a local conservation group and I do think we are starting to see some improvements.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 20:07

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com