Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Another fly shop bites the dust...

From Mount Joy, PA
The Evening Rise in Lancaster will be closing in the very near future... Sale begins June 9th.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 8:52

Re: Another fly shop bites the dust...

From North Central PA
sorry man I didn't see this post here... I posted the same thing down in the Gear section. My bad!

Posted on: 2011/6/4 9:03

This is sad news. I have been a customer since the days when their shop was at their house. Always recieved great friendly service and Nick and Bev were patient with me when I'd ask questions as a beginner. They will be misssed. I wish them the best in future endeavors (or retirement, if that is the case).

peace-tony c.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 10:12

From Hanover
The shop has been for sale for quite some time. I guess they didn't find a buyer.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 10:18

From Gamehendge
This makes me sad. Super nice shop and friendly people. Ill have to make it down for their sale, before its all gone.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 10:53

From Pittsburgh
I hate to sound like a jerk but for all of you that buy your gear on ebay, at cabelas, bass pro, etc..... This is the inevitable result!

I've never been to this particular shop, but I am sad to see another one close.

and before anyone gets all upset... if you don't have the option, I totally understand shopping elsewhere. If you have a choice and want a shop in your neck of the woods, you have to buy stuff there for them to keep the lights on!

Posted on: 2011/6/4 12:12

From Greensburg, PA
Unfortunately its mom and pop anything...fly shops, hardware, corner groceries, 5 & dimes, even a small diner has trouble competing with a chain any more...We have let corporations dictate how and where we buy everything. So lets keep giving them tax breaks and building their new HQs and putting up the same store every 8 miles of every road in the country....and letting them import products from China...American public has no one to blame but themselves.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 14:22

From North Central PA
On that note... I guess I shouldn't want a Sheetz in my town. Dammit! I love their apple fritters.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 15:37

From Lancaster Co.
Knew it was for sale but stopped there to by some tipper this afternoon and it was closed to get ready for the sale WG mentioned. Selling everything including fixtures. Took fly tying lessons from Nick and the late Ed Kraft when the shop was in their home. Got my first rod (and second) from them. Nick and Bev were always nice and helpful. All the best to them.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 17:35

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Pittflyguy wrote:
I hate to sound like a jerk but for all of you that buy your gear on ebay, at cabelas, bass pro, etc..... This is the inevitable result!

I've never been to this particular shop, but I am sad to see another one close.

and before anyone gets all upset... if you don't have the option, I totally understand shopping elsewhere. If you have a choice and want a shop in your neck of the woods, you have to buy stuff there for them to keep the lights on!

Who do you think is selling online and eBay? Adaptive mom and pops that took the bull by the horns rather than sitting there waiting for people to walk through the doors. I support small independent shops but most of my purchases are made online. It's simply a better business model.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 19:37

From Greensburg, PA
jd, I agree... with the caveat that mom and pop online have decided to buy from china because the good s they sell are cheaper. There fore he manufacturing sector of this country is still sinking fast.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 20:49

From Philadelphia, Pa
The fact that i was born in 1979 makes me agree with jdaddy. The wish that i was born in 1879 makes me feel not only for the shop owners but the people they had influenced while serving their community. Technology is bitter sweet and we wont realize what we have lost until it is long gone. Lets face it even the most tech loving people on these forums still maintain a semi nostalgic view of fishing. Aside from the products, these forums are in a way a modern take on the old fly shops. The comradery and wealth of knowledge shared is similar. Its great and all but it still doesn't get you away from the wife and kids.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 0:06

From Chester County
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
jd, I agree... with the caveat that mom and pop online have decided to buy from china because the good s they sell are cheaper. There fore he manufacturing sector of this country is still sinking fast.

The Mom & Pops didn't decide that......we (the FFing consumer) did! If we want fly rods, reels, fly lines, flies and all other equipment cheap; it has to be made in China, Sri Lanka, Thailand or some other far away place.

The corollary to the above is if we (the FFing consumer) decide to buy online or from a big box store instead of the local fly shop, we shouldn't #OOPS# when they go out of business.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 6:21

From Mount Joy, PA

Posted on: 2011/6/5 8:18

From Southeastern Pa
I will miss them, they were very nice to me and very knowledgable about the sport.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 9:05

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com