Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Another fly shop bites the dust...

From Pittsburgh
My point exactly Afish! And yes, fly shops sell on ebay. Perhaps a poor example. But there are now many online fly shops that don't even have a brick and mortar presence.

I have no problem with these business models. I am a technologist for a living and work with hundreds of ecommerce business's to help them grow their business.

I happen to like going and casting a rod before I buy it. I like talking with the guys at the shop about the cfs readings on the yough. I like finding out that a small crease fly stamp serves as a perfect form for a bass slider. I like sitting in on a talk on steel head techniques and learning how to tie a eugene bend knot with 25 other fly fisherman who were all eager to learn as well.

If you like those things too then you need to be willing to pay a bit more for dubbing, tippet, lead eyes, etc..... That is the deal and there is no real way around that. If you don't like these things then that is OK, just don't be shocked or disappointed when your shop closes.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 9:40

From rock glen, pa
recently my waders started leaking so I drove 45 min. to the closest fly shop to buy new ones. The place was almost empty so I asked if he was closing down, he said no. If you have no inventory how can you sell products. He had two differenty wader made by simms in three sizes. He didn't have my size he would have to order them. Why would I want him to order them when I can do that my self and have them shipped to my house and not have to drive 50 miles away? Anyway the fly shop that I go to isn't going to be around much longer if he keeps this up.
By the way he had six fly rods total from 3 manufactures.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 9:47

From Philadelphia, Pa
Quote:

I have no problem with these business models. I am a technologist for a living and work with hundreds of ecommerce business's to help them grow their business.

Really? Hmmmm.

Search engine optimization has become my personal hell.

www.myresumepros.com

Posted on: 2011/6/5 15:25

What the heck is a bonus prize dollar and how does that benefit me if the shop is going out of business?

Posted on: 2011/6/5 15:51

From Eastern PA
Quote:

GlockMan wrote:
What the heck is a bonus prize dollar and how does that benefit me if the shop is going out of business?

Ya, I didn't understand that either. It was an "extra" 1000 to go with your original 1000 for a total of 2000. Not sure 2000 what?

Posted on: 2011/6/5 16:28

From Southeastern Pa
so where is there to go in lancaster for fly fishing stuff? what do you think they could have done to stay afloat aside from what was already mentioned? (ie: online stuff)

the only reason i ask is because a buddy of mine and I were kicking around the idea of opening a shop in my garage. just to sell leader material, tippet, flies, etc. stuff that you go through a lot of. we were also thinking about buying and selling used stuff and fly tying material. do you think its a good idea?

I feel like it may work just because the ER must have had a lot of overhead at their place, plus they were selling mostly high end gear. maybe a shop more geared to the "average" joe would work.

just a thought, we're working through it now but I dont know of any other shops in lancaster area.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 18:19

I don't live in Lancaster, but just remember you will have to be open when you will want to be fishing. That's the biggest drawback I can see. There are a 1000 other things to consider even though you're thinking small. Good luck..........Biggie

Posted on: 2011/6/6 18:29

From SE PA
Weren't they located in a commercial strip? Every time I see a shop located in one I have to ask myself what the rent is. Same with White Clay Outfitters.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 18:32

Tim the tippet and leader sale business could be a good idea , i would consult with jdaddy he is already in the leader sale business and i hear he is doing quite well with it ! if i remember correctly i think his supplier is cabellas & the profit margin is probably arround 100 % its just unfortunate that they don't cost a 1000 dollars a piece !

Posted on: 2011/6/6 18:44

From Southeastern Pa
thanks for the input, i was thinking of having a good website built and trying to talk to different companies out there about their products. I realize in order to sell orvis leader and tippet they will probably want you to buy some reels and rods too, i don't really want to do that. I would like to have a place for people to come after work to get the things they need for the weekend or whenever. my biggest problem with The ER was their hours, I work till 6pm and thats when they closed often. as far as fishing vs open, I realize that will happen but I was thinking about hours along the lines of Monday, Wednesday Friday 5 or 6 to 9pm and then Sat and Sunday 12-4. How's that sound? those are the hours I always and up wanting to or needing to go to the fly shop and on sundays they're never open, whats up with that? anyway we're a while away from getting off the ground with it, my wife and I are working on a business plan (she's got a business degree from Albright that she's not using where she's at so she's kinda stoked about the idea) and I'm trying to figure out what people need that will sell. Keep up your input, I know it's not something I'm going to live on so that also factors into the hours being the way they are, it allows me to continue working and go to school. it's a start, and I am very sad to see the ER go as they have been very supportive through the years. keep the ideas coming, you can pm me, I want to help fill the void left here because it's gonna suck for a lot of us guys who forget they're out of stuff at the last minute and cant wait to get something in the mail or justify driving 45mins-1 hour to get a $10 roll of 5x or whatever!

Posted on: 2011/6/6 20:59

Thanks for all the kind words! Bev and I enjoyed all the great people we have met since opening in 1984. It's time to retire from the retail business. I have a job as most of you know. I need more time to fish and enjoy life. Life is too short to work all the time.

I will still be "in the business" after we close the retail store. I will continue to teach casting and fly fishing, running trips and selling some of my exclusive items from our web site: www.TheEveningRise.com.

Just a word of the wise to some of you who want to open a store. We were succesful at this for all our years. We started small & built the business. We are now in a different time! You can't stay in business selling tippet and flies, unless you sell it out of a van along the stream; LOL!

Keep in touch!
Check our web site from time to time!

Best Regards,
Nick DelleDonne
The Evening Rise

Posted on: 2011/7/4 12:33

In the 30 years we have been in business, there is not much we have not considered or thought of. I have played with store hours for many years. If your working another job or what have you. You can't be open all the time. People talk a good game, but most dont come during the late nights. We have been open at nights quite a bit over the years. We have documented and seen the trends. Retail trends are not that simple, especially when your dealing with men! (the majority of shoppers in a fly shop)

Good Luck!

Nick

Posted on: 2011/7/4 12:39

From LV
When all the local shops are closed where will we get our stuff? Cabelas? NOT!

Posted on: 2011/7/4 15:07

From LV
Let me put it as simply as I can, I don't want cheap, when I buy something I want something that will last a lifetime when it comes to rods reels and boats and waders. The stuff from China SUCKS and isn't worth it at any price. Remember that when you buy a rod online, go out and use it and then it breaks. Buy cheap you get cheap.
I like good old American made stuff, unfortunately there is not much of it out there, in part because the Government has cut all these deals and the retail people have sold the public on the cheap is better sales pitch. You get what you pay for always applies.

Posted on: 2011/7/4 15:21

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Let me put it as simply as I can, I don't want cheap, when I buy something I want something that will last a lifetime when it comes to rods reels and boats and waders. The stuff from China SUCKS and isn't worth it at any price. Remember that when you buy a rod online, go out and use it and then it breaks. Buy cheap you get cheap.
I like good old American made stuff, unfortunately there is not much of it out there, in part because the Government has cut all these deals and the retail people have sold the public on the cheap is better sales pitch. You get what you pay for always applies.

So, flyshops don't sell Chinese junk? Only internet sites huh? Gotcha

Posted on: 2011/7/4 15:38

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com