Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Another bow of questionable origin

From Lehigh Valley
Pcray. great pics an i also catch those bows in several different places over the years at spring creek. really prefer the bows an brookies over browns anymore.dont get me wrong browns are ok but they dont compare in colors to a brookie or bow , an sure dont jump like a bow.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 20:38

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Browns can be very pretty, you just gotta get em from up in the mountains somewhere instead of those rich valley streams. I think they're prettier than rainbows. But they don't compare to brookies.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/10 20:48

From York & Starlight, PA
pcray,

"wbranch, small head and thick body isn't an indication of wildness. It's an indication of growth rate."

Thanks for the info!

Posted on: 2012/4/10 23:06

From Chester County
Quote:

wbranch wrote:
pcray,

"wbranch, small head and thick body isn't an indication of wildness. It's an indication of growth rate."

Thanks for the info!

Good point Pcray, but head size can be one piece to solve the puzzle of wild or stocked. A small head, relative to the body size, indicates a fast growth rate. This is often seen in raised fish which are well fed and have genetics selected for fast growth.

Large head, relative to the body size, indicates slow growth or stunted growth from poor forage in the stream and possibly overcrowding or prolonged poor stream conditions such as a drought. This is often seen in wild fish.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 7:30

afish, absolutely true. It's a good indicator in less fertile, smaller waters, because the stockers had a much faster growth rate than the wilds. Except it'll be opposite of Wbranch's point, the larger heads in comparison with body will be the wild ones, and the smaller heads and thicker bodies will be stockers.

Until you get to a limestone stream, or a big river, or a large lake. Then that's out the window because the wild fish grow fast too, perhaps faster than stockies.

So can it be an indicator? Yep. But you have to understand the reasons and situations to use it.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 7:46

From Brookville, PA
pcray,

Nice pics man! I think I know where the pa bow is from or I have a good idea.

I don't totally agree with you on the fish in the valley streams not being as pretty. I have caught some gorgious fish in the limestone streams and bigger rivers in PA that had awesome colors and were by all rights gorgious. I still have not found Brown Trout that are much better looking than the ones you catch out of BFC.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 9:17

Depends on time of year. Purely subjective and personal experience. But generally, I think fish that have been feeding primarily on mayflies and caddis are butt ugly. Fun to fish for and the focus of us fly fishermen, but ugly.

Scuds, shrimp, cressbugs, on the other hand, produce pretty fish. And these are limestone foods. Which is why the fish look so much better in the winter. Purples and reds.

The secret to the beauty of some of the freestone brown trout, like the one above, I think is crayfish.

Sunlight probably has an effect too. So water clarity and depth affect things.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:41

Is this fish wild?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/22 18:56

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I would say yes, but I don't know poop. Big belly though.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:02

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

On the orignal pic, I think nicely colored stockie. I have been seeing a lot of stocked bows lately with good color and nice white tipped fins, but those front fins definitely are stubby.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 20:52

From LV
A pointed head, or extended jaw is an indication of sex, long jaw =male.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 21:04

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Glock - Rainbows are always tough, but that's a nice one. Just based on the picture, I'd say probably. As always my opinion would be subject to change based on where you caught it though.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 8:07

From LV
Large head and thin body indicates a couple of things, first the fish isn't getting enough food to maintain body weight, that doesn't mean that the stream doesn't have food though, it only indicates the fish in question is not getting enough food. There are many factors that come into play, but one is not limited food base.

Large body size and small head is an indication that the fish is growing fast, but that's about all, it has no bearing on whether the fish is wild or stocked.
As for Glock's fish, it is stocked, it is nicely colored though.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 8:39

From LV
Vibrant colors is an indication of a wild fish, because stockies are NEVER as colorful or as vibrant as wild fish. In short the colors are never as deep and rich in stockies as wild fish, stockies always are washed out.
The first indication of the original fish is stocked is the red band, it isn't red it's organge, that tells me right away that it's stocked, I've never caught a wild fish that had an orange stripe.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 8:46

From cambria county
What about this one? there is wild, holdover, and stocked rainbows in portions of this stream.

[url=Photobucket]rainbow[/url]

Posted on: 2012/4/23 14:48

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com