Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Another Marcellus Shale Explosion

From Potter County
Here's a "spot burn" for ya.

We just had a Marcellus Shale well explosion on Elk Creek (trib to upper Pine in Tioga Co. and just over the hill from Cedar Run) within the last hour or so. At least two injured with a Med-Evac helicopter circling the area for a safe LZ as I type.

Don't know extent of the injuries or if there will be environmental damage.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 12:22

Re: Another Marcellus Shale Explosion

From lancaster county

Terrible news! Lets pray for the best people.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 12:23

From Parkesburg, PA
We should organize something here through PA Flyfishingis to oppose this crap.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 12:58

I'm afraid there's many more reports like this to come in the near future.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 13:19

now that is not good.... best wishes to all involved...

Posted on: 2010/6/18 13:19

Webmaster
Slate_Drake_9,

Any updates? Hope those folks are okay?

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:18

From North Central PA
One trauma flown to Arnot Odgen Med Center and one flown to Robert Packer Trauma Center.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:23

From Solanco, PA
this is crazy! the first time ive even heard of this company was just a few weeks ago when my buddy was telling me that marcellus shale wanted to drill on his land in lycoming co. and since then ive heard of two disastrous events. ill be on the phone by the end of today telling him to strongly consider turning them down!

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:28

From lancaster county
Quote:
One trauma flown to Arnot Odgen Med Center and one flown to Robert Packer Trauma Center.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:29

Webmaster
Just sent to me on twitter from a friend.
http://bit.ly/93uavo

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:32

From Potter County
No updates from any reliable sources. One I've heard was "nothing happened" "just two guys got hit with a pipe" and another source is reporting an explosion. I didn't hear an explosion and haven't seen any flames. So I don't know anything, except two guys were med-evaced out.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:34

Webmaster
Thanks

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:36

From Potter County
Thank you Dkile for your link. The "news article" I read earlier today indicated it was indeed an explosion. I guess I shouldn't always trust local "news reporters" and their ability to report factually all the time. I just know I watched the chopper flying around the area.

I hope this is the last time, but I doubt it will be.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:42

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
BlkLgB,

Marcellus shale is not a company. It is a geologic formation that holds natural gas. A combination of modern drilling technology and better estimates of how much gas is there have made it economically viable to drill. We are now in the middle of a gas boom, and MANY companies are taking part. I don't know that the most recent explosion is the same company as the one in Clearfield County. It may have been, but the chances are that it isn't.

The method itself is technically similar to the old shallow gas well drilling of which we already have hundreds of thousands of wells in PA. The differences are that the Marcellus formation is at a much greater depth, and to be economically viable, the drill hole must be turned horizontal at depth. Technically those differences aren't huge but the real world implications are significant. With wider, deeper, and much longer holes, much more water is used for hydrofracking, meaning any leaks or spills which do occur are of much greater volume. Pressure is higher, which means the likelihood of blowouts like these are greater and more damaging. Equipment is bigger, meaning well pads are much larger and take longer to drill. More water + bigger equipment + rapid exploration = considerably more road damage. Horizontal drilling means they can put multiple wells on one well pad, which means the drilling activities take much longer (if 1 well takes 6 months to drill, 8 wells on one pad means they'll be actively drilling for 48 months at that site before leaving to enter the collection stage). The "sudden" exploration of the formation means that more activity is going on at once rather than spread out over decades like the shallow wells did. And lastly, the Marcellus formation covers around 2/3 of PA, and includes areas that don't have experience with the shallow gas wells, so the people who live there are being exposed to the gas industry for the first time.

It has been a HUGE political issue recently, as it should be. I'm not against the drilling, but anything this large with this much potential for damage needs to be scrutinized very closely. I'm in favor of slowing them down. There's X amount of gas that we're going to get whether we get it all in 20 years or over 200 years. What's the rush? Do it slow so that the newer wells can learn from the mistakes of the ones that came before them.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 14:49

From Parkesburg, PA
They have to be lying when they say an explosion never occured. They are drilling for gas... to me drills and gas seem like a pretty explosive combo. The beginning of this Marcellus Shale drilling sounds horrible for the environment and I must ask is there any particular danger to people who may be living in the area of these wells or happen to be passing through?

Posted on: 2010/6/18 15:01

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com