Another Day of Firsts

Pontus

Pontus

So in my very short fly fishing career, there have been many "firsts." Here are some more from today.

I left school after 2nd period (had a test), and drove home to get my stuff and then went out to the headwaters area of the Patuxent. Air temperature was 70, water temperature was 45. Flows were as perfect as they could ever be in February, with just a slight tint to the water. I did some prospecting with a black cone head woolly bugger and nymphed for a little bit as well with no success.

ImportedPhotos00002.jpg

There were early black stones out and about along with some other small insects. I didn't have any stoneflies so I tied on a size 18 olive humpy with a small caddis larva dropper. On about my 5th cast there was a little splash and the fish was on.

FirstWild.jpg

Click for big

It's the smallest trout I've ever caught, but it's my first wild trout and my first trout of the new year. If you remember my earlier thread, the flies were the old man's. First trout on his reel also.

ImportedPhotos00001.jpg

All in all it was a great day out on the water, and I can't wait for spring.

Sounds like a great day..I went out and fished the Quitty today in Anville,the park section...about 4 other people fishing ,the water was off color ,nice hatch ,but no fish,..still it weas a good day even though i took the bagel

Sounds like you had a good time. I had a first on Wed., I caught my first ever trout (along with 15 others) during the month of Feb. The only month I have not caught a Trout is now Jan. Guess I will have to wait till next year for that one. Good luck this year with your trout fishing.

Looks like some nice water!!
It's cool to see you using your "new" gear !!

Don't mean to pick and be a downer on such a great day,
but PLEASE don't place fish on rocks. I'm not one of those guys who come down on people snapping a pic of two, but there are better options.
Develop good habits early.

No, I understand. I was actually thinking before your post that I should have just left him in my hand for a quick picture and dropped him back in the water. I assure you that he swam off very confidently, though.

Would you call pebbles rocks?

Back