Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Another Central PA ?

I'm trying to make this trip with my daughter a really specialy weekend and have another question. It looks like we are going to use Black Moshannon State Park as a base of operations, with the primary fishing destination of the trip being Spring Creek. She is 10 yrs old and still fairly raw on her casting abilities so for the most part I'm trying to put her in areas with lots of fish, reasonably easy wading and enough room she can handle her line ok. I'm looking at spots that are close to where we are going to camp for other options like after setting up camp and such.

How tight is Black Moshannon for getting her on the water? Is there another stream that is close that I should consider or should we stick to fishing the lake? She'll have her spincast rod along as well for the lake. How bad are the rattle snakes there? Obviously there is always some risk in the mountains but I was told by several to stay away from Fishing creek with her because of them.

Thanks for anything you can add!

I should clarify the timing. Looking at either the 1st or 3rd weekend in August.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 12:40

Re: Another Central PA ?

From harlansburg
not sure about the snakes, but black moshannon creek is a medium size creek, some low hanging branches and log jams and such, but also some more open water that also holds fish. stopped there earlier this year coming home from penns, caught some fish, thought it was a really nice stream. further you drive downstream from the lake, less pressure the stream seems to recieve. I'm sure the lake is good for sunfish. either way, nice area, recieves little pressure compared to the famous streams just to the east.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 22:16

From Harrisburg
Dear Lance,

Given the time frame you are considering in August perhaps you'd be better served with answers if you told us where you are coming from and what you expect?

Black Moshannon State Park is a nice place. A buddy from work rented a cabin there in mid-June and did well fishing Black Moshannon Creek and Six-Mile Run plus some other places I told him about but that was then, when the creeks were full of water.

Two weeks like this past week would make for rough fishing for a youngster on any freestone stream. You'd need some generous rain for things to pick up.

I'm not trying to chase you off with my response. I just don't want to see you having to drag your bored daughter around by her ear trying to get either you or yourself into fish.

Give me and the rest of us more to go on and we'll do our best!

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2009/7/9 23:12

We're coming over east from Akron. Not a bad drive, about 3 hrs. Yeah I was mainly thinking about ease of casting for her and if there was enough room to cast then ASSumed there would be enough water that if there were fish we could give it a go. I've not gotten spend nearly the time I'd like to fishing over there in mid-late summers so I sometimes forget how the freestone streams can drop the levels way down as the summer wears on. The lions share of my mid late summer stream fishing has been in northern Michigan and the streams don't fluctuate nearly as much.

I'm looking at waters closer to the campground to putter around on before hitting Spring the following morning. I know there are other Class A streams in the area but no clue as to what the sizes are. Just not a lot of info out there. Basically I'm looking for enough room that I can keep her out of the trees for the most part and fishing over a half way decent population of fish, then I'll give her the the choice of fishing it or the lake.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/7/10 9:16

From Pgh
As a father of two daughters who I unsuccessfully tried to recruit as fly fishers, I'm probably not the best one to give advice. But here's what I learned from my failures.

Make it as easy as possible (which you indicated you are already doing.) I suggest the lake. The creek was not the easiest for me to fish when I first tried, and that was in April when flows were much better. In August, there could be temperature problems with the stream... it is marginal water. She could have a blast catching sunnies and bass from the lake.

Also, don't overextend your time on the water. They have short attention spans at that age. My daughters would end up chasing tadpoles in the shallows after a half hour of fishing without any action.

Forget about doing any fishing yourself. At that age they probably need you pretty much every step of the way. Like I said before do what you can to make it enjoyable for them.

Savor every second. Before you know it, those little pigtailed cuties will be grown and into things like dancing and shopping and.. (unfortunately) boys. You'll be scratching your head asking where the time went.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 23:54

I agree that the lake will be a better option. It's not easy to cast on Black Moshannon Creek and it gets low and warm and the numbers of fish are not great by August.

See if they rent rowboats at the state park. I canoed there one time and it's a pretty cool lake to explore. The bluefill fishing can be decent. It's not necessarily easy, though, because at some of the main access points they get fished over quite a bit. Maybe some of the bluegill flyfishing experts on here, can give you some tips on flies and techniques.

You might go with bobber and worm. I'm guessing a 10 year old would enjoy that as much or more than flycasting, particularly if her fly casting is not so good.

Also, I'm not sure how much time you have, but I would consider mixing up other activities, and not focus just on flyfishing. Spring Creek has loads of trout, but they are not going to be easy for a 10 year old to catch in August. Trico fishing is challenging.

There is horse trail riding at a place down near Port Matilda.

Tussey Mountain Outfitters in Bellefonte has canoe trips on Bald Eagle Creek, where they provide the canoe, do the shuttle for you etc.

And at the Tussey Mountain Ski Area, near Boalsburg, they have GO KARTS!!! Depending on your daughter's personality, she might like that a lot. There is also a pond there with good bluegill fishing.

Also, there are a lot of speciality stores, boutiques, restuarants etc. in downtown State College. Often lots of stuff going on. Sometimes live music outdoors, etc. She might enjoy walking around there. Just sayin!

Don't forget SMORES around the campfire! That will (hopefully) make up for your forcing her to flyfish the whole weekend.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 12:02

Thanks everyone!

It sounds like lake fishing will probably be on the agenda for the first evening unless hse wants to do otherwise. She's pretty good about nailing bluegills on her spincast set up so that should keep her engaged.
As far as the approach on fishing and her age it's good to hear echos of a lot of the same things I'm trying to do with her. We steelhead fished a few times in the spring and she would generally fish for an hour or two and then want to explore the creek bed a little bit and that's when I get my fishing in. Then after a bit she'll hop back in for another couple hours or so. She caught/landed a nice steelhead this spring on the flyrod by following that method and totally had a blast!

OH and smores are a MUST!

Posted on: 2009/7/13 12:02

I have a son and 2 daughters, and fly fishing stuck with one daughter. However, all can fish and can take their kids fishing and get them into fish.

I just want to add to the chorus of keep it simple, short, and fun at that age. Kids don't need to catch big fish or trout at that age - they are happy with whatever bites.

To keep my daughters interested I (and my daughters) tied fun flies. Pink marabou streamers were always good for the girls. Flies modeled on the Little Mermaid and Dr Seuss fish interested them when they were young. The one who still fishs went through a Goth period as a teen where we tied black and white flies with red throats. Tying flies with them in mind was fun and helped keep them interested.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 14:36

Think about the horse trail riding. And/or go karts.

Pizza at Faccia Luna in State College (good wood-fired pizza, nice decor, and good friendly service)

And save room for dessert at Coldstone Creamery, also in State College.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 15:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com