Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Anonymous Users

From Eastern PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Quote:

troutslammer wrote:
thanks for reinforcing my point jack , you don't fish enough to know if the stream is getting alot more pressure for whatever reason , fishing a stream once every couple yrs one would think it has never changed !!!! Like i said go fishing more jack !! trust me its good for ya !

I will just say you are uninformed and let any speculation as to whether you could actually deal with the truth to others.

jack does it right. sometimes there is simply no joy in a run.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 5:03

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Just curious - how does being a read-only Anon user prevent you from getting in trouble with your work Internet police (if they exist)? Your browser history still shows you were at the site, and even if you delete that, your company's router, firewall, or proxy will still log the URLs that your computer visits. Granted, there's not forum evidence that is preserved with date and time stamps to show when someone posted, but there's still quite the trail that exists.

Also, I'm wondering do bots/crawlers contribute to the number of Anon visitors? You know, the search engine ones that index the spot-burning posts that the spot-burning chasers search for? Or does Xoops automatically exclude certain user agents, like some webstats programs do.?

If your work logs you or your key strokes, you can get caught. Reading anonymously won't prevent this, but they would have to go looking for you in the logs. In addition, as you mentioned, this is a log if you sign in and post.

As for bots and crawlers, I don't know if their contribution to anon viewers is significant or not, but I understand there is an app for meat-hunting brookie anglers that will crawl the whole web for hot-spots and burned spots too. Most of them just focus on PAFF, though, it is a lot more reliable and fruitful.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 8:04

From Indiana/Gettysburg PA
I could never register before to become a member until a few days ago. I am not sure why it wouldn't let me, a message would always appear saying they were not taking anymore members at this time.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 10:59

From Monessen, PA
From time to time registration is shut down for security reasons.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 11:07

From Bozeman
There are currently 4 registered users and 30 anons browsing the site.

Given past trends in internet forum participation (the 1% rule), I find it hard to believe that the majority of the anons are regulars that simply didn't log in.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 13:52

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

jayL wrote:
There are currently 4 registered users and 30 anons browsing the site.

Given past trends in internet forum participation (the 1% rule), I find it hard to believe that the majority of the anons are regulars that simply didn't log in.

I don't find it hard to believe at all, in fact I believe it to be true. I was "looking around" (anon) for the last 20 mins before I logged in.

I was wondering, would it help to make folks become members to access the Stream Reports and Stream Locations forums? And make it manditory to "log in" to view them (post) as well? I think something similar was suggested previously?

Also, Google sends people here with reckless abandon! Something needs to be done there. lol

Posted on: 2011/12/22 18:11

From Bozeman
Your interpretation is almost entirely unsupported by scholarly research on internet communities, and imo, is naive from the human nature perspective.

As to making forums member only, I doubt it is within Dave kile's vision. Regardless, from my perspective, merely having an account does not give one access to information that I consider to be non-public. I know it wouldn't make a lick of difference in my aversion to posting sensitive information, but perhaps that's just me. I haven't seen the research. Lol.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 18:26

From Monessen, PA
The reality that folks don't seem to want to acknowledge is that the site owner encourages the free sharing of information if'n a poster wants to share. I agree with him on at least two levels.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 18:26

jack are u freely sharing info on those streams you fish every 2 yrs ? I agree if thats all the more you visit them then who cares how many people are there on the leap year you decide to fish it !

Posted on: 2011/12/22 18:54

From Southwest, Pa
i may be delusional as jack states but

go to fisherie forums, look at the bottom...

you will see startling numbers such as 7,000 ppl viewing and 230 members currently online... if you think the majority of those ppl just have not logged on you are the one that is delusional

Posted on: 2011/12/22 19:31

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
and jack, the slammer is correct here dude... you post here all day and night. you and i got into an argument about a stream last year that you prob fish once every year or so, and like the slammer puts, didn't run into anyone.

myself on the other hand, knowing landowners on that stream (a part you don't even fish and did not acknowledge) visit the stream more often and have seen increased litter and dismay by landowners...

that's the point cray... sure it takes anglers other places, sure most of them are good guys... but it doesn't take more than one or two to do some destruction to a small, fragile stream. You'll never hear me cry about Spring, letort, penns, spruce... i can fish for fingerling wild browns in the sw and I thank God everyday it has not been burned on this site.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 19:35

-Art Lee

From State College PA
do people think the way this post turned out (and others) would encourage people to post and be active here?

Posted on: 2011/12/22 20:49

From Philadelphia
If I could withdraw this post, I would because it really didn't going according to plan!

Posted on: 2011/12/22 21:09

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
do people think the way this post turned out (and others) would encourage people to post and be active here?

I would hope it encourages people to feel free to express opposing viewpoints civilly. If anyone is scared away because they might be challenged in their set views by the variety we harbor here, then they can find a more comfortable place to hang out and I will not lose much sleep over it. This is a mere personal opinion, as a poster and member of the community.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 22:09

From Monessen, PA
And let me add for troutslammer::

If you spend more than 5 days a year on Roaring Run, you are the one contributing to excess pressure, yet you complain. You may be the one who needs to "get around a bit." This, in my opinion, if more important than "getting OUT a bit."

And, I must be perfectly honest-- if you are reporting encountering overcrowding on Laurel Highlands brookie waters, you are either lying or very unlucky.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 22:14

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com