Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Anonymous Users

From Mont Co, Pa
I do that more often than not. The non-registered folks come around in time if they're devoted.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 14:52

From Philadelphia
I guess I'm surpirsed by that because I use my work PC and my home PC and as soon as I click PAFF website, I'm signed in. I guess I thought everyone did that. Okay that 'splains some of it but I still invite Anon's to join us. We are good lot and apparently we've imbibed in a beer or two on occasion.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 15:29

From Monessen, PA
I agree that most "Anons" are registered users who do not sign in. In fact many folks don't like to be perceived as being here all day long just because they signed in. I always sign in because it is the only way to use majick moderating powers and OT, which is now more than half the reason I visit here. I think a lot of folks, especially during work hours, do not sign in or post, but they read-- smart move depending upon your job vulnerability and internet screwing around tolerated in your workplace.

Then again, some are shy lurkers. Then a handful are mining the site for places to catch 7 inch brookies. Most of these final group just search out streams that Steve gets upset about when mentioned.

I think I have put to rest all mysteries now.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 16:36

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
i would go all in on the hand that deems at least 30 percent of those viewing without registering are bait slingers (with or without fly rods) looking for specifics, such as places to fish

Don't understand the point. So what? They're fishermen just like fly fishermen. I think they have a slightly higher % of scumbags, but we have our share too, and frankly, those that are taking the time to search online for fishing information are probably serious enough about the sport that they're not the type we're trying to avoid.

Quote:
but I've met people on freestone wild streams that specifically told me they found the stream through an online forum.

Again, so what? They're on that stream instead of another. Does it really increase the fishing pressure overall, or is it a zero sum game, where you may increase pressure on one stream and decrease it on others?

I get the point about private land and the danger of it getting posted, or in non-normal situations (such as a hatchery escape or a guy's pet fishery), or about especially fragile streams that are already on the brink. I fully support keeping those quiet, or if you do have to discuss, doing it on the OT forum where only members can see.

And yeah, I tend not to mention a number of streams. It's less out of fear for the stream, and mostly out of respect for whoever showed or told me of the stream! I'm much more open about streams that I found on my own.

But for a run of the mill stream on public land, in my view, one of the problems we have is that the pressure is too concentrated on the famous waters, and not nearly enough people know about all of those other, often better, places. Spreading people out would be a benefit, overall. It amazes me that people rant about posting "secret" streams, then those very same people turn around and complain about how crowded Spring, Penns, LJR, etc. have gotten.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 16:36

From Erie Co.
I usally frequent this site without signing in.
going back now bye.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 18:38

From Ohio
I don't think making members only sections will help, any one can register, it takes like 2 seconds.

Although the baitfishing side of fishing does happen to have more bad apples, I have met many spinfisherman on the streams, including small wild trout streams, who respect the resource, practice c&r, don't litter, and are overall great people. Maybe fly fishing just isn't their thing.

I noticed most of the newer members on here stated that they have been lurking a while before they joined, so I agree that some of the anonymous users do eventually join.

Also a lot of the anonymous users might just be people searching on google for specific flies, how to nymph, what rod to get, etc. and this site comes up, thats how I found this site.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 18:42

Steve , when streams are mentioned on the internet that doesn't cause a stream to be over pressured it just redestributes the fishing pressure just ask jack , heck he fishes 20 times a yr himself mostly during the month of may in DHAOL i would suspect !

Posted on: 2011/12/20 19:34

Nothing wrong with a little bait slinging! Love me some butter and crawlers lol

Posted on: 2011/12/20 22:07

From Monessen, PA
Troutslammer whatever your post is meant to suggest, it fails and you are wrong. Trust me. Stop following the crowd.

Posted on: 2011/12/20 22:09

hey jack go fishing for a change its better than living vicariously trust me !!!!

Posted on: 2011/12/21 7:37

From Monessen, PA
Still lost. But, I think maybe you are taking my comment about knowing 10 good waters and only visiting them once every couple of years and pegging me as a 20 day a year angler. Where the DHALO comment comes from, I have no idea. But I either find your humor elusive, or I think you start having deluded notions of reality when someone thinks you over-estimate the utilization of these waters. In this, you are like Steve, so I appreciate your effort at apologetics.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 8:36

From LV
I sometimes look at the site without signing in during the day, because I work FT and I put in more windshield time than I should have to. I don't linger, but if you look at my posts they're all at night.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 17:13

thanks for reinforcing my point jack , you don't fish enough to know if the stream is getting alot more pressure for whatever reason , fishing a stream once every couple yrs one would think it has never changed !!!! Like i said go fishing more jack !! trust me its good for ya !

Posted on: 2011/12/21 20:04

From Lancaster County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I agree that most "Anons" are registered users who do not sign in. In fact many folks don't like to be perceived as being here all day long just because they signed in. I always sign in because it is the only way to use majick moderating powers and OT, which is now more than half the reason I visit here. I think a lot of folks, especially during work hours, do not sign in or post, but they read-- smart move depending upon your job vulnerability and internet screwing around tolerated in your workplace.

Then again, some are shy lurkers. Then a handful are mining the site for places to catch 7 inch brookies. Most of these final group just search out streams that Steve gets upset about when mentioned.

I think I have put to rest all mysteries now.

Just curious - how does being a read-only Anon user prevent you from getting in trouble with your work Internet police (if they exist)? Your browser history still shows you were at the site, and even if you delete that, your company's router, firewall, or proxy will still log the URLs that your computer visits. Granted, there's not forum evidence that is preserved with date and time stamps to show when someone posted, but there's still quite the trail that exists.

Also, I'm wondering do bots/crawlers contribute to the number of Anon visitors? You know, the search engine ones that index the spot-burning posts that the spot-burning chasers search for? Or does Xoops automatically exclude certain user agents, like some webstats programs do.?

Posted on: 2011/12/21 22:10

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

troutslammer wrote:
thanks for reinforcing my point jack , you don't fish enough to know if the stream is getting alot more pressure for whatever reason , fishing a stream once every couple yrs one would think it has never changed !!!! Like i said go fishing more jack !! trust me its good for ya !

I will just say you are uninformed and let any speculation as to whether you could actually deal with the truth to others.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 1:22

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com