Access question...

I

Imgonnamissher

I am curious about access laws in PA compared to Maine. As I understand it, Maine has pretty open access laws, and I usually think nothing of stopping by the roadside and casting at a bridge crossing or whatever as long as there aren't any posted signs. Is access a major issue in PA or would the situation above apply to a majority of PA and MD waters. I was wondering this as my wife and I were exploring Gettysburg and crossing a few small streams here and there. In fact, one of the branches of Anteitem Creek is fairly close to where we'll be but I didn't see many obvious access points. I realize that PA still has tons of great fishing, I just want to make sure I don't get dinged for trespassing based on ignorance of the law.

On a different note, anyone ever fish much in the State Parks near Mont Alto or in the Michaux (sp) State Forest?

That is a tough question to answer since it varies depending on where you are. If a bridge crosses a stream you do not necessarily have access at that point. Granted, the state generally owns a right-of-way easement on either side of the road which can extend 16' from the centerline of the road on either side of a typical two-lane rural road. It may be wider depending on the size of the road. However, beyond that can be private and posted land.

I generally assume if it is not posted at a bridge than it is either public land or the owner does not have any issues with you accessing at that point. Most property owners will post their land if they don't want people on their property, but I have found that if you ask permission they ususally have no problem allowing you to fish there. It seems to me most land owners generally do not want people hunting on the land and post for that reason.

In some cases on larger streams and rivers such as the Little J and the Delaware River they are considered navigable streams and can be acessed up to the high water mark, but you cannot cross private land to get to the stream, you need to access it from a public area such as a boat launch or other public access areas that are usually clearly marked.

I hope this helps.

believe me if its posted or private you will not mistake all the signs people hang.......

Imgonna,
In PA, larger rivers that are deemed navigable are always accessible if you stay in the water (this topic is much discussed on this site, if you haven't already noticed). None of the waterways around Gettysburg fall into this category however. Streams that are listed as Approved Trout Waters (meaning they're stocked) are publicly accessible. Folks in rural areas here in PA are still pretty amenable to public access but I am pessimistic about the long term prospects for public access in this state. Obviously, if you see No Tresspassing signs you should keep out but even some of the posted land is accessible if you ask nicely and promise to release fish. Many people post their land to keep hunters out and are less concerned about fishermen.
There are a lot of trout fishing opportunities in Michaux SF and in the 3 state parks within it. Look me up when you get down here and I'll give yuh the tour of trout fishing in Adams Co. There are dozens of trout streams within a 15 mile radius of Gettysburg and the number is in the hundreds if you push it out to 50 miles or so.

Imgonnamissher...........for the most part the signs will let you know. as far as michaux , check out Mountain Creek the whole way to Mt. Holly springs, couple good lakes in there too, at MT Holly it empties into The Yellow Breeches.......miles and miles of trout GOOD LUCK P.S. from caladonia park the whole way to mechanicsberg sp?

To expand on the others good advice. If I see a home nearby a stream I would like to fish I always ask, and if it isn't their land I ask whose it is. Alot of the land you will be fishing, if it isn't stocked, will be like that. I have asked plenty of times and never had an issue with a landowner; some say "don't ask next time". It is just a courteous thing to do and no one ever seems to have an issue.

With regard to your 'future' local state parks, forests and game lands. You obviously can fish where ever you want! I have fished almost every "fishable" stream, I have about '5 to go', up on that "range" of south mountain i.e. Caledonie, Michaux, Mont Alto, Pine Grove and have found natives in every water. Access to some streams coming off the mountain involve walking in from private property and others are easily found by driving the dirt roads-which can be a bit hairy in the early spring.

Imgonna,
Check your PM.

Back