ANF Holdover Potential

ConMan

ConMan

Hey guys... any opinions on how the ANF holdover population should be this year? Not withstanding trout creeled, I'd be interested in your thoughts on mortality. My understanding is it was a moderately cool and wet summer - but I tried to get some historical weather and see and was unsuccessful.

As always, thanks guys.

Mike.

My first point is that trout have to be released if they are going to "holdover." With the ANF in the cldest part of PA I doubt there will be aspile upward in the population because of winter kill. A stocked fish isn't a holdover unless it is in the stream the next spring.

I fish the ANF frequently and have caught holdover browns every year. I do not keep records so I cannot tell you details as to percentage or number caught. I am planning a trip this weekend so I’ll let you know how we do. From memory you might catch one for every 20 or so fish. We fish the Kane area, EB Tionesta, Kinzua, Two and Four Mile mostly.

"I doubt there will be aspile"
That would be a spike upward.
Anyway There are some very good trout streams in the ANF and there are some that are very bad, I won't say what ones I've fished that are good, but you'll know the bad ones right away.

Sorry guys.. should have been more clear on the line of questioning. I'm talking about trout that have been put in this spring/early summer still being there for fishing this fall. I have caught true "holdover" fish in the spring that have made it through the winter, etc. But, for purposes of this thread, I'm looking at what thoughts are from those who've been in the area or close to it, observed water levels, temps, and rainfall, to help with an educated guess on how they could expect the trout to survive the summer. I know where I want to fish and know the area very very well. I just don't live close enough anymore to fish it and observe it more than 2x a year, I'm afraid.

Mike.

Back