A trip

mute

mute

So i was thinking of taking some type of trip somewhere in the 3-5 hours away time frame. It would be a trip for fishing/hiking/scenery/wilderness/just enjoying getting out and going somewhere. Like i said i was planning on going anywhere from 3-6 hours away, and trying to spend like 300-500 dollars in all necessities for the trip like gas, food, lodging, etc, etc. It would be nice if the trip included some type of remote place, maybe camping out in the woods for a day or 2. Hiking through the woods and fishing streams and such. Any advice, and knowledge is appreciated. As well as how i should do it and where to go, etc, etc.

I first thought of doing the Appalachian trail, but was told there's not really any fishing out there. And i would like to do more then just hike/camp for a few days.

Near Penns/Spring/BFC or up near Pine/Slate/Cedar. There are campsites near both areas, hiking, and of course, good fishing. I prefer central PA.

Both spots have bigger and smaller water, as well as many wild fish.

mute- Jayl's list is pretty solid. What time of year?

If the trip would be soon- you could consider this area as well.

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/367

Sorry i forgot to include my location. I live in Montgomery county, basically 30 minutes from center city Philadelphia. The trip would be this summer, probably in 1-3 months.

I'll second the votes for upstate. There is some nice country and fishing down here in my neck of the woods but, esp if you're looking for scenery and wilderness, it can't compare to upstate. Upstate is a bit cheaper too. I'd suggest a visit to the Pine Creek Gorge (AKA "Grand Canyon of PA") if you have never been there before. You can camp at two state parks there at the gorge or in a nearby town. If you could make the trip in June it would probably be better fishing. If you wait till July/August Pine Cr isn't likely to have a lot of trout activity. Slate and Cedar will still be cold but they're very tough when they're low. You simply can't beat Potter/Tioga/McKean/Lycoming/Clinton Co areas.

Shennondoah Park!

mute wrote:
I first thought of doing the Appalachian trail, but was told there's not really any fishing out there. And i would like to do more then just hike/camp for a few days.

The AT runs through a lot of trout water. One stretch I am thinking of starts in Boiling Springs (Yellow Breeches, Letort, Big Spring) up through SGL 211 (Clarks and Stony Creeks). Into Swatara State Park (The Swatty, and some other streams).

You could go with a buddy, leave a car at SSP and another in Boiling Spring. The hike might take a few days, plus however many days you want to spend fishing.

Padraic

Back