Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

A most unlikely event

From Souderton PA
I fished Valley creek in the rain tonight. I went to a favorite spot while it was still a light sporadic rain, and started off fishing a caddis pattern that has become a bit of a go to for me on this section of Valley. It is a modification of a Davy McPhail pattern that is a fairly unique no-hackle hairwing that I really like. You can fish it as a dry, a cripple/emerger, sink it and dead drift as a nymph and then swing as an emerger. All methods have been productive. So I fished this for about 20 minutes with no luck, then switched to nymphs and wound up catching 2 little browns on a casual dress. All in all it was a nice quite, albeit wet, evening.
After switching to nymphs, I wound up misplacing a backcast and getting my fly stuck in a tree that has become the bane of my fishing existence. I usually wind up donating at least one fly to the tree trout in this tree on every visit. So I pulled, and it seemed to be hooked well. I pulled a bit harder, and it popped and the fly came whizzing back to me. As I retrieved it, I realized that something was wrong. The fly looked like it had began to fall to pieces, and the tippet was wrapped up in an unusually large birds nest. I moved to the side to rebuild my leader and tie on a new fly, and as I drew the fly up into my hand I realized that the fly was in fact fine. I had hooked and retrieved one of my fairly unique caddis patterns along with the attached tippet that I left in the tree the last time I fished there over a month ago! As the rain began to increase I decided that was as much luck as I could handle and headed home.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 22:15

Re: A most unlikely event

Haha, same thing happened to me on my local stream: plugged a reed across the way and retrieved a tandem set of nymphs, one a midge nymph with hares ear dubbed at the thorax/head.

Thus.... I've been trying different approaches!

Posted on: 2013/6/6 22:22

I once caught a giant bass by hooking through a swivel attached to a rig that was in the bass' mouth. I couldn't believe that in the massive lake we were fishing my hook went through that swivel eye and stayed there as I reeled in. Strange days.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 23:33

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I was fishing a green weenie earlier in the year, got caught on a submurged rock, it let loose and I came back with mine, 2 other green weenies and a glo bug. It was a junk fly extravoganza!

My best claim to fame was steelhead fishing a few years back. A buddy of mine had a tandem nymph set up that the whole thing was lost on a fish. I told him that I'd get it back for him. I cast towards the fish about 10 times, got a "hookset" and it came back at me within a few seconds. Had his whole setup back in less than 2 minutes from when I said I would.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 16:01

From Parkesburg
Snapped a big brown off on penns rehooked him 5 minutes later got the fly back he snapped off. Fish can be dumb!

Posted on: 2013/6/7 16:11

From Chester County
A similiar thing happened to me a few months ago when I was at Valley and I hooked a tree and got it out, and I didn't notice I had hooked another guys flys he lost. I fished with the tangle for about 20 minutes, and I actually caught a fish, the only fish of the day. Weird.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 21:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com