A good morning

O

outsider

I live close to Lancaster County and my heritage is Pa German. My grandmother spoke it fluently, and when we took her to see her sister, they never spoke English.

My wife and I are amidst the Amish and Mennonite communities on a regular basis. And we speak to them about our common heritage. Two days ago we stopped at a small hardware store near New Holland to buy a saw blade. I started a conversation with the young man at the counter, and some how the conversation turned to fishing, and then to my love of fly fishing. Wow, did his eyes light up!

Turns out that he and his brother recently took fly fishing because they found out how much fun it can be. But they needed help, which is were I came in. This morning they showed up at my house and I tutored them on some of the basics, including casting instructions. BTW, they happened to be Mennonite, and had to rely on a cousin to drive them to my house. I also gave the youngest his first fly reel.

Next step is streamside instruction. So good to pass our passion on to others!

You can be proud that you gave unto others.

Sounds like a lot of this is going around lately judging by the recent posts. Good for you!

Well done and good on you!

Back