Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

A few interesting words on ticks

Hello all,

Running into the ticks a lot from exploring brook trout streams in the jungles of PA. I am picking them up despite tucking pants, wearing long sleeves, etc. I think if they are in an area, they cling and crawl until they find skin, it's hard to avoid their death grasp.

Anyway, in doing some research it appears as though a blacklegged tick, a.k.a, the deer tick, needs at least 24-48 hours to transmit Lyme disease. So, when you get home, look for those devils and get rid of them, you should be able to prevent the disease.

Additionally, only the female transmits the disease. I think the males will pierce the skin, but from what I am reading they don't suck blood-I think.

Deer ticks carry other diseases, and I read that at least one of the others, again, requires 24 hours of feeding to transmit the disease successfully.

So get them off early, and you may avoid some complications.
And Lyme can be treated with antibiotics, the earlier the better, but I am not sure if you can be 100% cured.

I am not a medical professional, just passing on some friendly findings.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 3:40

Re: A few interesting words on ticks

From LV
Get a good hot shower whenyou get home, andthrow your clothes in the washer. Research shows that cold water doesn't kill the darn things. So wash clothes in hot water.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 5:37

From Gettysburg
I'm a fan of permethrin based clothing treatment and use it on my waders, vest, and boots/shoes. I seem to get far fewer ticks than I used to before I started using this stuff, even when hunting when buddies were covered with ticks. Apparently, it is highly toxic to fish (and bad for cats) so I obviously don't apply it to my landing net. You can buy it at big box stores with camping gear and sometimes I'll see it at Wal Mart under brand names like Repel or Sawyer.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 8:24

From Lansdale Pa.
Nasty little buggers, last year had one on my stomach, wife pulled it out felt like someone punched me in the stomach for three days. wound up leaving a bruise around 3" in diameter. There is a prescription medicine you can get from your doc that if taken early enough can prevent the spread of lime disease. And saave the tick for ID. and testing.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 8:31

From Franklin County
Also to add is how you remove them from you is also very important because studies have also shown that by squeezing them they may actually transmit other pathogens or even cause infection if you don't get the head out. Since I heard of this I looked around and gone through about two devices and really like the ticktwister. I haven't had a deer tick attached to me yet this year but had a couple dog ticks on my dog and 2 on me and this thing has worked great.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 8:45

From SEPA
If there's one creature on this earth I truly loathe, its ticks.

I'll catch and release any other insect in my home, even spiders and centipedes...But ticks?

I destroy them with a vengence.

And the worst part is they love me.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 8:46

From Schuylkill County
The symptoms can vary from one person to another. I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I developed a pain in my right eye with redness and blurred vision. I went to the eye doctor. He treated the immediate eye problem with steroid eye drops. But, he was concerned about the cause and so ordered a bunch of blood tests. Well, the one for Lyme Disease came back positive. I am on Doxycycline for a month. Hopefully that will cure it. In retrospect, I can now say that I have been having more joint pain than normal for a month or so but, since some of that is normal for me, it was not something that really stood out. So, the onset of the disease may not be obvious. Never noticed a bullseye rash. It's a jungle out there.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 8:47

From Franklin County
Sorry to hear that Upstream!!
Best of Luck to Ya. It sounds like it was caught early on and if you are like my dad, cousin, aunt, 4 friends, You will get better!

Ooo, I noticed that was your first post, Welcome Aboard!

Sincerely,
Pat

Posted on: 2009/6/5 8:57

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I heard great things about the "ticktwister". A friend of mine, who is a nurse, said it is the greatest thing when they run into ticks in the ER. I guess they burrow clockwise, and the instument takes them out counter clockwise to reduce injury or bruising. Made for pets, but they use it in the ER. I guess you can buy them at PetSmart and other petstores.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 15:50

Found some more interesting facts. The tick has a larvae, nymph, and adult stage. However, unlike, most stream insects, these stages are just an increase in size, of the same form, throughout the life cycle.

A larvae, which is about the size of pin head, does not carry lyme.

The nymph, which is around the dimensions of a poppy seed, does carry lyme.

And the adult female carries lyme and is about the size of a #16-20 caddis.

As I mentioned before it takes 24 hrs to transmit lyme. Consequently, the nymph, which is very hard to see, because of its small size is responsible for the majority of transmission. Most people don't see it, until it blows up from a blood meal. If you have a lot of moles on your body, see if any are moving. Scrub your scalp with some shampoo, being sure to pull the nails over most it, to dislodge and choke any nymphs with the suds.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 17:06

try and say ticktwister fast, 3 times :)........sounds like a device all outdoorsmen should have.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 17:09

Update: Dog ticks are generally bigger than deer ticks, and they do not carry Lyme. They can however carry Rocky mountain fever. And dog ticks love all creatures of the forest, not just domesticated dogs, so you may be covered in dog ticks and not deer ticks.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 17:21

From Lewistown
My cousin went to the ER the other week and the nurse used hand soap in a counter-clockwise motion. So the clockwise burrowing now makes sense to me.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 21:13

From Johnstown, PA
I'm more scared of ticks than rattlesnakes. The only other thing that even comes close would have to be white faced hornets , those things will try to kill you if you bump a nest , but ticks are just sneaky. Welcome to the forum UPSTREAM .......thats a cool name.

Posted on: 2009/6/6 9:15

Never a worry about ticks as a kid, are ticks a recent problem? If so where did they come from?

Posted on: 2009/6/6 9:19

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com