Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

A few good winter flies

I am planning on fishing the West Branch Octorara in Lancaster tomorrow. I'm not asking for any close kept, hard earned secrets. But what are a few good flies to fish?

Posted on: 2011/1/29 16:35

Re: A few good winter flies

From Room 109
Griffins gnats would be in my box this time of year for sure .

Posted on: 2011/1/29 17:03

From SW PA
Trevor,
Although I have no knowledge of the stream you mention, I'll fish a wooly bugger in the Winter more often than any other time. Cold water to me ,means the fish will be lethargic. So I'll dead drift a bugger, or sometimes two, and let that maribou works its magic. Black would be my first choice, and I'd let the water conditions determine the size; Generious flow = large fly, low flow= smaller size.
lacking any midge activity to get Bruno's fly suggestion some casts, or any other obvious insect activity. I'll save myself the trouble of changing flies and just force the buggers to work.
Good Luck!
Dave

Posted on: 2011/1/30 8:52

From Greensburg, PA
Peeking caddis has always served me well in winter.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 22:38

From lancaster county
Quote:
Although I have no knowledge of the stream you mention, I'll fish a wooly bugger in the Winter more often than any other time. Cold water to me ,means the fish will be lethargic. So I'll dead drift a bugger, or sometimes two, and let that maribou works its magic.

Perfect answer

Posted on: 2011/1/31 8:11

From Altoona/Smoke Run
Listen To DaveS. That's my "go to" winter fly as well.

Some beadhead nymphs are never a bad second choice. Pheasant tails/hares ear/muskrat etc.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 9:24

Although I have no knowledge of the stream you mention, I'll fish a wooly bugger in the Winter more often than any other time. Cold water to me ,means the fish will be lethargic. So I'll dead drift a bugger, or sometimes two, and let that maribou works its magic./quote
yep-also other streamers but as mentioned need to get them down and acting natural.It is not so much a nymphing time of year as understanding not a time for stripping.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 10:38

From girard pa
I like to fish wollys and sometimes small pt in winter. depends on water temp on how active the fish will be.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 11:03

From Dillon, CO
I was out there about a month ago and the majority of the runs that hold fish this part of the year were at least partially frozen over, and almost all of the fish were hanging out under the ice. I'd imagine it's about in the same condition right now, but I could be wrong. If you're going to fish it now I would not waste your time fishing between 472 and puseyville road as I've found the fish population in this section to be almost nonexistent right now. If you're going to fish park at the first pull off along Street Road and fish downstream to the end of the section. The largest runs will hold fish, although if there's a good amount of ice they will be darting back and forth from the ice cover to the feeding lane. Fly choices for this time of the year at the WB Octoraro should include #14 - #18 caddis larvae, #14 - #18 hares ears, #10-#12 20 incher stone, #16 - #18 sucker spawn, #16 - #18 rainbow warrior, and of course #12 - #14 hot pink san juan worm (this fly is probably your best bet). Get your fly down as fast as you can in the water column. If you work hard you may get some follows on streamers, although I have yet to find the fish in that stream to get really excited on them this time of the year. If runoff has not been too bad you will be able to site fish in many some of the slower runs.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 15:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com