Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: A dilemma

Yeah. I'd want to know. I don't count snagged fish. It's such a disappointment for me going through the exhilaration of fighting what I think to be is a large fish, only to find out that it's a modest fish that's been snagged.

Snagged fish feel much better than they actually are.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 16:44

22 bow is equal to 30"browns-lol

Posted on: 2010/1/12 16:45

From florida
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
22 bow is equal to 30"browns-lol

On what planet?

Posted on: 2010/1/12 16:50

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Thanks Jay. I really need to get out there.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:11

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
If it was my buddy you bet I'd tell him it was snagged.....if it was a paying client...not that I am a guide, I'd probebly make not mention of it unless he/she pointed it out. Pull out the fly and let them have the glory.

I agree with Maurice. I surprise that no one asked if he was using the Moffitt system.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:17

From Emigrant, Mt
First, I tend to underestimate the size of "big" fish. I can say that the fish was not a 2 footer, but easily 22". The fish was caught on a 5 wt, on a size 20 midge on 5 x. The fact that it was snagged (if not initially, then at some point in the fight, which is common) only made it more difficult to land. Also, for a guy only in his third year of fly fishing who before his Big Horn trip had only caught stockies up to 16", it was a huge fish.

Seeing the excitement that these guys were full of, listening to them exclaim that this was a fish story that the will never forget I really did not want to take anything from the moment. Like I said, if this fish was hooked in the corner of the mouth and the fly stayed there, it would have been a memorable fish on its own. However, given the situation that unfolded because of the pectoral hook-up, the whole story is so much more exciting for me, and more importantly to the two brothers. The way I look at it is this: This guy will very likely catch a bigger trout at some point, but not likely a more exciting one. I have caught and guided many bigger fish, but none come close to this one on the "WOW" scale.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:22

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Flybop,

No doubt it's a memorable story, personally I'd think it be even funnier if the story ended, " and after all that, fish into my backing, jumping boats, brother going in the drink, the damn fish was snagged." But that just me.

From my limited experience it seems people get guides for different reasons and have different expectations. Some just want to get into fish, no matter how, and some want to really learn and utilize the guide for instruction to become better overall fisherman. I would think the guide would need to judge the client and base their actions accordingly. If and when I do use a guide, it be for the latter reason, to hone my skills, so I'd want to know about the snag. With that said, I don't think it's a big deal either way, especially if the fish is gonna be released.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:37

I'd want to know.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:47

From pittsburgh
if i were a paying customer who was releasing fish which i normally do i think the guide telling me it was snagged would ruin the memory unless i commented on it first that comment jayl posted really wants to make a man make his gf take a job out there when she gets out of school and support a man for the rest of his fishing career

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:53

-me

From Emigrant, Mt
Had this happened with my buddies there would never be a question. I would see the humor in it and the "snagger" would owe me a beer for the extra effort. As a guide though we need to read the clients and take the big picture into consideration. Every guide I know regularly releases a snagged fish without ever saying anything. We do this not be be a** kissers, but to help our clients have a good time, give them some positive incentive (many clients are truly beginers) and with the realization that a "snagged" fish is harder to land.

There is also the fact that with a two fly rig if the fish gator rolls or otherwise gets twisted up in the leader, very often the fly that is not in the mouth will get hooked in the fish and the mouth hooked fly gets pulled free. This happens so often that there often is no way to tell for certain which came first.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 18:01

From Johnstown, PA
Flybop.........i'd want to know but if i was in your shoes i honestly don't know what i'd do. Consider this , if you had been fishing with the client all day and had a pretty good feel for the person , i'm betting your judge of character and the feel you got for the person would guide (no pun intended) your decision. Oh by the way.....how was your trip back to Millheim? , i thought about you a few times while looking out at it snowing and thinking about having to drive any distance in that mess , How did it go? Did you get to fish Penns creek? Did you float or wade?

Posted on: 2010/1/12 18:11

From Emigrant, Mt
Osprey, we drove all the way in heavy rain. The night before Penns dipped below 500 cfs, but I knew that we were in for much bigger water than that. So, we went directly to State College and fished a very little while at Spring. I managed to move a few small fish on buggers in the high, off color water.

The next day we stopped by Bruce's shop on the way to the Weikert stretch. Bruce did his best to talk us into going back to Spring, but I knew what I was getting us into. That was over 1500 cfs, but surprising decent clarity, nearly two feet, and some fishable places. I managed a few small browns, but it was good to just be there again.

We also met up with selfinflictedfunck. Don T and I had a beer with pennscreekguide, Tom, at the Elk Creek Cafe'. I was half kidding trying to get Tom to get his drift boat out so we could do a Couburn to Weikert float. He had other (better) plans, so we wade fished.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 18:35

From Hagerstown, MD
I'd want to know...foul hooking a fish definately takes away from the catch. I know that it is inevitable, but I'd feel weird claiming credit for a foul hooked trophy.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 19:41

From Monessen, PA
I am pretty sure Albatross felt so bad for me during big trout season that he may have tried to lie about a fair hook in my favor once or twice. I wanted to believe him at the time, but couldn't shake the doubt. Or was that David? Maybe both.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 20:11

-- Leo Tolstoy

yeah i'd want to know

Posted on: 2010/1/12 20:17

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com