A UK Approach to the Tandem

DGC

DGC

Fishing the trio technique on my local stream from Paul Gaskell on Vimeo.

In this video it is called the trio technique. The first minute or so is a few still photos with text, but that is followed by quite a bit of fishing (and catching) video with instructional narration. He catches brown trout and grayling.

This is just an FYI and I have not fished with two droppers off of a dry myself. Also, the waters he fishes are much more stained than the gin clear freestones I usually fish, so he can get away with getting that close and standing fairly tall.

The stream is probably the River Don in the Sheffield area. I say this because Gaskell has also done a conservation video on that stream, and they look similar. Also, his statement "it's a beautiful thing," regarding the contents of a stomach sample (around the 12-minute mark) would seem kind of strange except in the context of a recovery effort.

The conservation video is also very good. Here is the link:

Wild Trout Trust River Don Video

How exactly is he tying his nymph on? He says it isn't tied to the bend of the dry fly.

I got the impression that he does attach to the bend of the dry fly. Pretty much has to given his approach of almost no leader on the water. Not many choices left: either to the eye of the dry (I would think tough to do with two droppers), or he ties in a loop on the dry and attaches to that.

Back