A Call To The FlyFishing Gods!

noclue

noclue

Since winter is upon us and the activity on this site has picked up considerably I thought I would take this opportunity to place a call to all the flyfishing god on this site to answer a few questions for all of us FF mortals(beginners).

1) Stream composition and differances between them? Limestoners vs. freestoners, their characteristics and differances,hatchs,fish holding capabilities, and natural reproduction possabilities.

2) What are redds? I know it has to do with the spawning time. What do they look like?

3)Best ways to properly handle and release fish? Net, freehand, beaching etc.

4)Best ways to protect a stream while fishing? No felt wading wading shoes to avoid spreading invasive species. etc.

These are just a few questions that come to mind. As I learn more it seems to raise more questions.

I think you've spelled it backwards, but I am sure the FlyFishing Dogs around here won't hold it against you. I'll start the bidding, just to kick it off. Since you have framed it as information for a beginner, I am going to approach it like that, which as I read it over sounds kind of like a lecture. You may well already know a lot of what is below. Fair warning.

1. That is really a broad topic to attempt. In very general terms, limestone streams emerge from underground springs in porous limestone formations. As such they tend to maintain a constant temperature year round at the source (in the 50s) but warming or cooling downstream depending on the season/shade cover, etc. The limestone makes the PH alkaline, which makes these streams fertile for aquatic life, from plants on up through the food chain (including hatching insects). Since large and even middle sized PA freestoners often get too warm for trout in the summer, limestone or limestone influenced streams can have advantages for sustaining year-round trout populations. (tailwaters of bottom-release dams can have some of the same effect). Freestone streams just means streams that get most of their water from rainfall runoff (though non-limestone springs and seeps often contribute as well). Their temps and water volumes tend to fluctuate more than limestoners. Its hard to generalize and there are no absolutes, but limestoners - when not degraded by pollution, erosion and removal of shade cover - tend to have better hatches and more trout biomass per acre than a comparable sized freestoner. However, many limestoners do suffer from these issues to one degree or another, so you can't say categorically that limestoners are "better" for trout. Limestoners also tend to be found in valleys for much of their length, so they are often in more of a pastoral setting rather than having the backwoods character of some freestoners. Again, there are exceptions (notably parts of Penns and Fishing Creeks)

2. A redd is a shallow depression in the gravel scooped out by spawning female trout in which to lay her eggs. you might think of it as a nest. They appear as light spots in the gravel bottom - at least when freshly dug. Obviously, you want to avoid stepping in them so as not to crush the fragile eggs. Since the lightness fades over time, its wise to limit wading in shallow gravel-bottomed riffles from fall through early spring.

3. Wet your hands. Don't squeeze. Limit the time the fish spends out of the water, or never take it out. Beaching should be avoided when possible, as should placing the fish on dry rocks or leaves, etc., for photos. If the fish are small to average, you can probably accomplish all that without a net. For larger fish, a net can be helpful in minimizing the handling. It also lets you avoid overplaying the fish until it is exhausted enough to handle with bare hands. Overall, while these are good guidelines, don't freak out about the subject. Trout should be treated with care, but they're not all THAT fragile. Just my .02

4. I have gone to rubber soled wading shoes because I sometimes fish the Gunpowder, where didymo is present. However, for me I can tell the difference in terms of less traction, so I sometimes use my felts when fishing areas not known to have such invasives. I do not use the felt soles in the Gunpowder or other nearby streams though. I don't think whirling disease is much of a problem in the East and it seems to have settled down in the west as well, though westerners may know better.

I hate to take the easy way out, but do a "Google search" of some of your questions and you will be amazed at what you find. A few years back, when I was learning, I gleaned a lot of information from the web. There is more information than you can possibly absorb. Also, do a search on this site and many of the questions you have will be answered. Don't hesitate to pick up some books (from the library, amazon.com, etc.) and read, read, read.

1. google

2. they are where fish spawn... don't fish to fish that are paired up... it is poor form

3. wet your hands... don't lift by the gill plate... don't "bass lip" trout... don't use a Boga grip (or a similar knock off)... DON'T beach fish

4..don't believe the BS about felt soles... its a marketing ploy to sell everyone a new pair of boots
Fully dry all wading equiptment... store in a cool dry place... spray with a diluted bleech solution

Gods ??? The why the heck don't they turn the water into Bourbon. Are you jagoffs holding out on me ?

Everyone can be a FlyFishing God on the interwebs.
and Google is All Knowing.

since I am already emporer of the Earth, I'll let some of the lessor known gods here answer...

Back