37 inch Brown Trout

allan_s

allan_s

Not fly fishing but quite impressive, it was caught through the ice on Lake Wallenpaupack.

37 inch Brown Trout

I have never seen a Brown Trout that long. Anyone up to use sinking lines and streamers once the ice is off?

That's a big fish.

Big Trout, but not even close to 37".....

that's 37" look at it compared to width of the guys body. A friend up here has a 32" mount of one he caught and released on upper pine.

No way. Maybe 36" 36.75 at best.

LOL!

+1 Farmer Dave!!!!!!!!

I don't think that thing was 37". Big fish, no doubt, but not 37".

I question the length too but get your dang fingers out of the gills if your going to release it.

quite a feat considering the ultra-lite tackle

I'm ignorant of ice-fishing techniques, so what kind of line (type and pound test) do you normally use? I'd think the line would take a beating as the fish runs and the line rubs against the edge of the ice hole.

I was waiting for the rod to slip out of his hand and disappear into the lake..

That's awesome, great catch and fish. That lake is loonnggg way from me, but I have been told the giant brown fishing is phenomenal there.

salmonoid wrote:
I'm ignorant of ice-fishing techniques, so what kind of line (type and pound test) do you normally use? I'd think the line would take a beating as the fish runs and the line rubs against the edge of the ice hole.

It can.

More than likely he was using braided line.

It looked like mono. Also, he said it was 4lb test and braided line is only available in 8-10lb minimum break strength.

Anyway, nice fish to say the least. I'm glad they released it.

FarmerDave wrote:
salmonoid wrote:

It can.

More than likely he was using braided line with his Tenkara rod.

Fixed your post FD and before anyone else says it, STOCKED!!!!!!

Another virus (Spin Casting Video) has been released into the Fly Fishing forum.

I suppose we will soon be a generic forum. (both Flyfishing and Spin Casting?)

A great fish, no matter if it is only 36.75". My only concern would be that the guy said they had it out of the water for "only" a little more than 2 minutes. That seems to be a pretty long time if that fish is going to survive, even in cold temperatures.

Another virus (Spin Casting Video) has been released into the Fly Fishing forum.

I suppose we will soon be a generic forum. (both Flyfishing and Spin Casting?)

Ok, just to be clear. The term "spincasting" is WAY overused in this forum. There are spinning reels. There are "baitcasting" reels, or just "casters".

And yes, there are "spincasting" reels. See below. The reel in the video is in no way a spincasting reel. It is a spinning reel.

Attachments

• spincasting.jpg
    spincasting.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 3
  • spinning reel.jpg
    spinning reel.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4
  • casting reel.jpg
    casting reel.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2
Who cares what # is associated with the fishes length. That's an amazing fish........

afishinado wrote:
It looked like mono. Also, he said it was 4lb test and braided line is only available in 8-10lb minimum break strength.

Anyway, nice fish to say the least. I'm glad they released it.

I looked at it again, and I think you are right. I confused it with a different video. With that reel, he likely just had 4lb mono.

Warning, there are a few cuss words in this video.

Some people use a heavier line, and then a short piece of mono tippet especially on a tip-up or the old spool type reels. But on a small spinning reel like that, likely just straight mono.

I usually just fished for perch and other panfish and used 4lb test mono, but would sometimes set out a tippet for bigger stuff, with no real success.

Nice of them to release it after shoving their fingers into the "lungs" of the fish. Doubt it survived that ordeal.

Back