Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 19 »

Re: 30" Browns

From United States
I catch all color phases pictured, in the same stream.

Posted on: 12/20 10:47
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

Night_Stalker wrote:
geebee,

take a look at the article by Dave Whitlock in the Summer 2012 issue of TU's "TROUT". In it , he discusses brown trout coloration Pages 57-58.

"...Trout living in murky streams will be pale colored and those living in large clear lakes, oceans and those just returning from the sea will be almost colorless or silvery and posses few and smaller spots and markings..."

The fish I encounter, are in the "murky stream" category.

http://online.qmags.com/TU0612#pg1&mode2

The lack of spots below the lateral would suggest then that those are lake run or sea run no ?

And though I am no-one to be arguing with Dave Whitlock, every other fishes coloration matches its environment - stripers, bass, brookies, pike etc are all darker in murky water aren't they ?

Posted on: 12/20 12:37

From Camp Hill, PA
There are no true lake or sea-run trout, to my limited understanding of the terms, in the Susquehanna River system. I fish Le Tort, Big Spring Creek, Conodoguinet and Susquehanna. These feed into each other and fish range is limited by dams.

Take a look at the pics I posted recently of fish caught in Conodo:
Re: Night Fishing During the Colder Months? #28

Dot patterns vary a lot in the same streams. Attached photo of what I am told is the original strain of Le Tort browns (few dots) and a more typical Le Tort fish. Please ignore the fish management/handling issues from 9 years ago. The fish were released and only out of the water briefly, it was also raining. I apologize for my past behavior. 20 and almost 24" fish.

Attach file:

jpg  P5040236_R.jpg (153.50 KB)
7920_52b4936e5479d.jpg 418X191 px

Posted on: 12/20 14:03

Quote:

geebee wrote:

The lack of spots below the lateral would suggest then that those are lake run or sea run no ?

Why do you think so?

Posted on: 12/20 14:08

From Landenberg, PA
Cos Fish adapt their skin cells to their setting and stream based browns are completely spotted all over their sides.

A number of sea run browns are being caught in the susky each spring at boat ramps by walleye anglers.

It might be a small run but it's there and those fish are not living year round in the susky, they're heading for its tribs. All browns were originally andronomous, they are not native to ponds and lakes in Their natal range in Europe unless it's connected to the sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsVnplmcG0

Both those fish are georgeous Night Stalker, but why would one fish adapt to its surroundings and not another, that's not how nature works.

stocked fish adjust their colour in weeks, unless that fish was just stocked I think it came recently from a lake, the sea or a very deep impoundment.

In my experience spotted patterns can vary naturally in a wild river but not the colour that drastically - based on 30+ years of fishing for native brown trout in Europe.

Posted on: 12/21 4:51

Edited by geebee on 2013/12/21 5:06:47
Edited by geebee on 2013/12/21 5:20:08

From Gettysburg
Quote:

geebee wrote:
A number of sea run browns are being caught in the susky each spring at boat ramps by walleye anglers.

Migratory is probably a better term than "sea run." We've had this discussion on the forum here before and I think it's perhaps a good thing to make some distinctions as not all our readers are familiar with PA waterways. These browns in the Susky are not "sea run" in a technical sense - in other words, they do not move down into tidal water with high salinity. Large dams make this largely impossible on the Susky. What is happening here is movement within a watershed by brown trout on a seasonal basis. Some of this movement, I suspect, is dramatic. It's common knowledge by many regulars who fish for big trout or who otherwise fish the rivers during the colder months that large wild browns are in the Susky and Juniata. However, these Susky fish are not spawning in rivers and living in the ocean like salmon or steelhead.
Don't mean to be picking nits here, just a clarification for the sake of readers who may be unfamiliar with PA or the Susky.

Posted on: 12/21 7:58

Edited by Fishidiot on 2013/12/21 11:38:53

From Landenberg, PA
No, I agree no fish are running right through the system, I'm saying those silver browns came from the bottom of an impoundment or lake, though there is being caught on the lower susky actual sea runs.

Maybe a better term is transitory ? - these fish move to feed on high protein diets wherever they can get it.

Posted on: 12/21 12:30

From Gettysburg
Quote:

geebee wrote:
though there is being caught on the lower susky actual sea runs.

Actual "sea runs?"
While I'm sure some trout have been found going up the fish ladders on Conowingo or downriver thru the turbines, I'm unaware of any studies that have verified a population of actual sea run brown trout in the Susky watershed. Do you have a link or some info on this as I'd certainly be curious to know more.

Posted on: 12/21 12:54

From United States
In the post spawn months of Jan threw early May, I catch browns that are bright silver. In my opinion these are the fish that ran up a tributary and spawned. The brightness of the fish is the reflection of light coming from the mirror like scales. Acting as a mirror the scales reflect the surrounding light as a camouflage. A natural defense in a situation involving a lot of light penetration in the water column. While at the same time a brown trout holding under a rock or bridge may be very dark. I've noticed that the trout that do not run up tributaries carry spawn colors later into spring.
I have been told different times by Letort Regulars that there were two distinctly different genetic browns in the Letort. The amount of spots and the red spots being characteristics used to define the recognizable difference.

Posted on: 12/21 13:04
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

geebee wrote:
though there is being caught on the lower susky actual sea runs.

Actual "sea runs?"
While I'm sure some trout have been found going up the fish ladders on Conowingo or downriver thru the turbines, I'm unaware of any studies that have verified a population of actual sea run brown trout in the Susky watershed. Do you have a link or some info on this as I'd certainly be curious to know more.

watch the youtube video in my post above .

since that fish was reported on 2/26.2012 a couple have turned up below the conowingo dam - which like the the other dams have fish ladders or elevators, only the sudbury dam is now without one...

given the failure of the shad runs, as i said its doubtful that fish are running more than one dam but the conestoga, octoraro creek, could have runners in the cool seasons like the MA, CT and NJ rivers.

back to the topic - i have a hunch that Late February /early March might be a good time to throw sandeel patterns and streamers at night near those boatramps an hour or two after mid tide downriver.

Posted on: 12/21 18:56

From Lancaster County
I don't have the data readily available at the moment but using Google against Exelon's website, I was able to dredge up fish counts through some of the dam ladders. They counted anywhere upwards of 400 browns a year moving through. There were also trout recorded anecdotally from angler surveys. No qualitative data was available (size, color, etc.). But given the vastness of that river, those are background numbers.

Posted on: 12/21 20:03

From Glendora nj
I was just searching my computer for my pictures of Sea Run Trout, we get in NJ, If I can find them I will post pictures of them.

Posted on: 12/21 20:55

From United States
SNJ , I sure hope you can produce them. This thread has suddenly grown very interesting. I wasn't aware of any salt running trout other than coaster brookies on the east coast. I am totally fascinated, totally. Exciting.

Posted on: 12/22 14:04

From Landenberg, PA
Thinking on it, I'd also think that the chances of a 30"'brown also have to be higher at hatchery below outflows where they can pick off escapees, and the bottom of fish ladders - I know people fish small shad flies during the shad run, but I wonder if anyone throws big streamers on a fast sinker to see if anything was preying on them underneath ?

If not big trout, then perhaps walleye ? A guy in mass took a 9lb lmb at the pond above the wareham herring run. He was hard on the bottom just waiting for dinner to go past.

Something must be predating on the shad before the stripers turn up right ?

Posted on: 12/22 14:53

From Glendora nj
Sten, check your pm.

Posted on: 12/22 15:01

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 19 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com