Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

3/24 youth fishing day rules

From SE Pa
Can more than 1 child accompany an adult with a license as long as they have all the needed (Mentor, etc) licenses? I've read the PA Fish Commission writeup but (it's probably me) I can't figure out if it's just 1 child per adult or multiple ....... Thanks, I have 2 grandkids.

Posted on: 2/5 13:03

Re: 3/24 youth fishing day rules

From Lancaster
Uhh I would like to say so much more but will refrain. Y

The answer is yes you can take multiple youth fishing with you as long as they have the permit. My father and I take my niece and nephew every year and they have a great time.

Just make sure the waters you intend to fish are already stocked. Some streams don’t get stocked until a few days prior to the traditional opening day.

Posted on: 2/5 13:21

From SE Pa
Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Sorry if I cause any frustration or the question was out of line.

Posted on: 2/5 20:20

From Lancaster County
Perfectly valid question. I think (if my memory serves me correctly) that HopBack's angst stems from some of his observations while engaging in the mentor angling activity in years past.

For instance, there are esteemed angling families who would stand the provision on it's head and take along one child, so that multiple adults could then "mentor" that child. Each adult, of course, has their own rod. Or a 1-year old is thrown in the backpack to be "mentored" while the so-called adult does the fishing.

Posted on: 2/5 21:36

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Sorry if I cause any frustration or the question was out of line.

I don't think your question is what caused the frustration...its the PFBC and their rules explanations or because maybe a lot are not in favor of this mentor youth fishing day (I'm personally not a fan of it). The PFBC makes a lot of their rules so confusing that no one truly understands them. This is happening with the crappie regulations at Sayers dam. Even the warden in the area has the rules incorrect. (Sayers has a limit of 10 crappie per person. You can have a MAX of 5 over 9 inches. This means you can have 5 9+inchers and 5 under 9 inches or say 2 9+inches and 8 under 9 inches. A lot thought it meant you couldn't have more then 5 under 9 inches too which is incorrect.) There is no reason that you should need to read the rule 10 times think you finally got it understood but still be slightly confused. Then you go out and talk to someone else about it and they understood it completely different then you. They either do this intentionally to give out fines or they just truly do not care.

Posted on: 2/6 8:41

From Carlisle PA
The rules are quite simple. The problem is the unethical adults who take advantage of them. All for catching trout, freezing them and 6 months later throwing them away because of freezer burn. Or some will say that they are have fresh trout for dinner 6 months after taking them from that freezer!

Posted on: 2/6 10:34

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

joebamboo wrote:
The rules are quite simple. The problem is the unethical adults who take advantage of them. All for catching trout, freezing them and 6 months later throwing them away because of freezer burn. Or some will say that they are have fresh trout for dinner 6 months after taking them from that freezer!

That's my issue with all the youth mentor programs...

Posted on: 2/6 15:50

From Dauphin County
It’s become a tradition for me and my nephew. Although we have yet to keep any of the stockies he has caught. I would if we deep hooked one. I’ve been lucky as I have yet to witness any adults behaving badly or abusing the rules. The whole point is to get your kids fishing in a time when their results will be maxed.

For anyone wishing to avoid adults fishing altogether, I recommend the children’s only areas like Clark’s Creek at the nursery. It was crowded but the fish and kids were eager and the DC Anglers and PFBC folks made it a great day.

Posted on: 2/6 16:45

From Glendora nj
I love the youth program, my daughters have/had great times. I agree it is abused but not by all of us. My oldest is to old to go , I do take out my other two daughters and next year my son will be old enough to join us. They all love fishing for now and they still talk about the huge fish they caught last year.

Attach file:

jpg  Jo at GL.jpg (130.18 KB)
5080_5a7a24636b795.jpg 720X960 px

jpg  Shelby Orvis.jpg (125.44 KB)
5080_5a7a247b714ad.jpg 960X960 px

jpg  PO.jpg (112.53 KB)
5080_5a7a24c9338c0.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2/6 17:01

From Stewartstown, PA
No idea but ran into problems at Muddy Creek a few yrs ago as the locals feel adults can't fish with their children. Was practicing catch n release and had more then one argrument with locals and had to inform them to read the regulations. It was soo bad the locals were throwing corn in the water. God forbid you catch their stockers. What a shame!!

Posted on: 2/7 8:26

Edited by smm717 on 2018/2/7 9:04:08

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

smm717 wrote:
No idea but ran into problems at Muddy Creek a few yrs ago as the locals feel adults can't fish with their children. Was practicing catch n release and had more then one argrument with locals and had to inform them to read the regulations. It was soo bad the locals were throwing corn in the water. God forbid you catch their stockers. What a shame!!

I don't think the adults can fish with their children on the youth mentor day. They can help cast but that's it from what I know. If the adult is allowed to fish then I REALLY do see issues with this program. Concentrate on your kids...not your fishing!

Posted on: 2/7 9:23

From Stewartstown, PA
Read the rules.

Were you throwing corn in the water?
fishingregulations/pages/mentoredyouthprogram.aspx

Posted on: 2/7 9:42

Springer,
Multiple youth may accompany one adult. In fact, it is common. The adult need only be a fully licensed angler, which means that a sixteen year old could take a younger brother, sister, cousin, or friend fishing and I have on rare occasion seen teens with a younger person. I have even seen a non-angling parent purchase a license just so the children could fish on MYD.

Posted on: 2/7 9:45

From Landisville
Quote:

bigjohn58 wrote:
Quote:

smm717 wrote:

I don't think the adults can fish with their children on the youth mentor day. They can help cast but that's it from what I know. If the adult is allowed to fish then I REALLY do see issues with this program. Concentrate on your kids...not your fishing!

In 2018, Adults are allowed to fish with their children just not allowed to harvest. Children are allowed to keep 2 fish and must have their free mentor youth permit (or voluntary youth license).

I'm okay with this regulation if it means more adults take their children out to fish, not all children need supervision 100% of the time while stream-side.
My friend and I will be out with our 3 year olds again this year. Last year the boys sat with a pole in their hands fishing while I supervised them, my friend did some more aggressive fishing to get more hookups then handed his rod to the boys to reel them in. It worked out well, and kept their attention for most of the morning until nap time.

Posted on: 2/7 9:46

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

smm717 wrote:
Read the rules.

Were you throwing corn in the water?
fishingregulations/pages/mentoredyouthprogram.aspx

If I had a can of corn I probably would have thrown the whole can unopened at ya...I can't stand corn hatches and I can't stand adults taking advantage of a day meant for the youth. Concentrate on the youths not the adults. If it takes the adult fishing to get the youth out then there is something totally wrong and selfish about that adult!

Posted on: 2/7 9:56

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Do You Have or Will You Obtain Multiple State Fishing License’s for 2018?
Yes 68% (64)
No 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/7/20 10:51
5 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com