Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 2013 - Some Great Trout Fishing

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
All I know is that I haven't had anything besides a dry fly on the end of my leader for the whole month of May...

Posted on: 2013/6/6 13:52

From Philadelphia
Just got back from the Pine and Allegheny. Did well on both Sunday and Monday, then the clouds lifted, the sun shone, and the trout took cover. Did well enough close to dark when the fish started moving again. We didn't run into much hatching action. Some sulphers on the Pine and a goofy #10 something with greenish wings and a white abdomen on the Allegheny. Caddis, of course---most fish caught on a hare's ear soft hackle. All in all, though, it has been a good season so far!
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/6/6 16:51

From PA and NH
Pretty much standard year, average in all respects. Now last year, that was one weird year and if you knew where and when to fish was epic in quality and quantity. I saw more large fish in places I've rarely if ever seen them. Just a personal observation.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 18:36

From Lancaster
For me numbers probably about equaled last year at this time but I didn't get as much chance to fish for native brookies this year. Overall, this was a great year. Got a chance to catch fish on sulphurs, March Browns, Caddis and Tricos. Also, being able to catch one of those beautiful wild browns on the Little Juniata, Penns and Spring Creek at the jam this spring (thanks to PAFF) definitely made it a season to remember for me.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 18:59

From Bucks County
I fish Slate Run every year in late may and early June. This year there seems to be alot more trout, especially small trout and they are holding in places where I haven't seen them hold in 6 or 7 years. So on that note, I agree that wild trout may be rebounding. It could be a year class thing I suppose, but I feel its improving after feeling like it was declining over the last 5-10 years. I've seen it on other streams too but felg that Slate was a good example of a wild freestoner.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 20:23

From Clearfield
Quote:

tulenkot wrote:
I fish Slate Run every year in late may and early June. This year there seems to be alot more trout, especially small trout and they are holding in places where I haven't seen them hold in 6 or 7 years. So on that note, I agree that wild trout may be rebounding. It could be a year class thing I suppose, but I feel its improving after feeling like it was declining over the last 5-10 years. I've seen it on other streams too but felg that Slate was a good example of a wild freestoner.

This is certainly good news.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 21:09

From South Central PA
PFBC surveyed Slate late last summer. Official results not out as yet, but informal internet commentary said brook trout took a nose dive but small browns were abundant.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 21:33

From LV
On Monday I had the best day of the year so far, but none have been spectacular, Sunday was not especially good, 2 streams with the same name, 2 very different experiences.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 22:20

I've caught my biggest Brookie and Brown to date this year.

I agree, the fishing has been awesome this year, and the woods as well. Saw a bear, a mink, and a hawk carrying a snake in its beak the other day, and today a completed flattened copperhead in the road.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 22:27

From Butler County
I have to say that the trout fishing seems to be getting better lately, even with stockies. In the last week, I have fished Elk, Jefferson, Cambria, and Armstrong Counties and have found large numbers of very hungry stockies and natives. Hopefully the next week of temps in the upper 80's doesn't end the stockie run...

Posted on: 2013/6/18 10:09

From Chester County
Great to hear good reports in Western PA. Spring is just about over and overall, throughout the State, trout fishing has been very good for most anglers.

It would be great if this summer the warmwater fishing ends up being good or even better than the last few seasons. Especially with the smallies in the East. One can only hope.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 10:19

From NC PA Mountains
This year has also been my best in several years. Was out on the West Branch this morning & the flows are great with a temp of 50 degrees! Caught a few.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 10:40

From barto PA
I've had a fantastic spring. Granted this is my first year seriously fishing for trout with the fly rod and I dont' get around much, but what I have been fishing has been good to me. No trophys but before this year I had only ever caught one trout on the fly. This year I'm well up toward 50 or 60, I don't really keep count though as getting out is more important than catching if ya ask me. Not getting skunked does feel good though and I've only been skunked once this year so far.

Nice think hatches here in the Perk Valley too. Like I said I never paid a ton of attention before, but there were certainly times this year where I breathed in a sulfur or two while on the creek they were so thick.

As a newbie I'd like to ask what ya all mean by it's over and talk like that. I've also seen a few on here mention it's unethical to fish for trout all summer or dangerous to the fish rather if it's too warm. How does everyone feel about this?? Do you not target trout once the water warms up or do they just not bite or do you hunt down colder water or what?? Help a greenhorn understand please.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 10:48

From Philadelphia
Quote:

PASKIINGSUCKS wrote:
As a newbie I'd like to ask what ya all mean by it's over and talk like that. I've also seen a few on here mention it's unethical to fish for trout all summer or dangerous to the fish rather if it's too warm. How does everyone feel about this?? Do you not target trout once the water warms up or do they just not bite or do you hunt down colder water or what?? Help a greenhorn understand please.

As water temp goes up dissolved oxygen levels in the water diminish. Trout need oxygen to recover from a fight once hooked. Ergo, reduced oxygen hurts the ability of the fish to recover from being caught and can be lethal. You will get mixed opinions on this here on PAFF but the vast majority favor not fishing for trout until water temps come doen again in the fall.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 10:55

From Dauphin PA
The water temp has to have a 6 as the first number. If not grab a six and head to the golf course.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 11:01

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com