2 Man Pontoon

cricketontherun

cricketontherun

Does anyone have any experience with any of the 2 man pontoons out on the market? I live in Western PA, and it seems that like one would work great from anything with some white water like Slippery Rock Creek to the Allegheny River. Not to mention some of the larger limestoners like Penns Creek. I'm familiar with most of the brands, but just no hands on experience. Help Please.

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16160&cat=254&page=1

I've guided out of that boat in the past and it works well. Easy to row lots of storage room and plenty of room for the guy up front to fish from!

I thought you liked the solid bottom pontoons better Alpa?

I'd at least want a standing platform in the rear as well.

What kind of money you wanna spend cricket?

I'll spend a little more for quality for sure. I'd love a scadden if I can find a sale or a good used one. The creek company looks about equal compared to an outcast or bucks bags. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in those models other than price. I did see a McKenzie ST drifter for $1699.99?? It's still a lot of money for something I've never had my hands on though; which is really the dilemma. I do want something that can handle a bit of a payload. Camping equip., 2 people, dog, and an option to stand in the back.

cricketontherun wrote:
I did see a McKenzie ST drifter for $1699.99?? It's still a lot of money for something I've never had my hands on though; which is really the dilemma. I do want something that can handle a bit of a payload. Camping equip., 2 people, dog, and an option to stand in the back.

This is your answer! It's still $1699 on Dave's site. I received the Scadden Skyomish from Dave last year. There are a number of us that have this model, which is very similar to the McKenzie ST two person boat. They just extend the frame for the second seat in the back. I'd get a standing platform for the rear seat, but not the lean bar, etc for the rear. The frame is light weight, the toon covers are amazing and have a 10 year warranty (something the other folks don't have). It's quick and easy to inflate. Dave sent me a pump that you can hook up to a car battery but frankly it is easy to pump up manually. The frame fits together nicely and is all aluminum. This is another issue that a lot of the boats have in that they use steel which rusts like crazy.

Warning: When ordering from Dave Scadden be prepared for bumps in the road, namely delays in shipping. Particularly with trade show season coming up, you will likely get a number of reasons for delay in shipping. There is about a 15% chance that there will be wrong/missing parts. Both of these things should not be a deal breakers as Scaddens boats are superior and he will personally get on the phone with you and make things right. Eventually. We have often joked (seriously) that he could increase his business and profitability by 25% with an organized office manager. Speaking of trade shows, he will be at Sommerset Fly Show and often offers deals, though I doubt that McKenzie will be lower. Maybe get a shipping deal on top of it?

I'll second the Creek Comapany. I have the 3-Man and while it isn't the easiest thing to keep straight, its totally manageable. It does row nice, and is set up perfect for storing gear and such. It takes abuse really well, too. It even has a back platform for mounting a motor, although we just use it for cooler space. Two people can carry it without a lot of effort, IMO.

I have the Scadden McKenzie Drifter in a 2-man. Solid boat that is rated up to Class IV whitewater, which is more than most of us will ever likely encounter.

I also have a one man Creek Company and have been on their 2 & 3-man models, good boats and a little less expensive than a Scadden.

I bought my Scadden used w/ a good trailer for $1500. Keep that in mind too, if you use it enough you're not going to want to pump up the ponttons and setup and attach the frame and then break it all down after each outing every time either. You'll likely want to get a trailer at some point soon too. Mine is a flat "snowmobile" trailer with the front cowling removed, works great. You can find used 2-3 man Pontoon boats w/ trailer deals around for the same price as just the new boat. I'd strongly consider finding a used one w/ trailer in decent shape.

Alpa that 2 man pontoon looks sweet. Eliminates the need for 2 cars on a trip I would guess.

fadeaway263 wrote:
Alpa that 2 man pontoon looks sweet. Eliminates the need for 2 cars on a trip I would guess.

How is that? Where is the take out car?

Keep that in mind too, if you use it enough you're not going to want to pump up the ponttons and setup and attach the frame and then break it all down after each outing every time either.

Absolutely. It takes no more than 10 minutes for me to put mine together but damn it is a mind hurdle to get motivated to do it.

I break my one man down but the big 2-3 man Scadden would be a pain IMO, especially if I'm getting off the water late after a long day. In 5 minutes its secured on the trailer and I'm heading home. Plus its all ready to go for next time, which could be the next morning.

This one is a little out of your price range (it's about 6k) but they make exceptional rafts with plenty of options to go along with them. They handle whitewater with ease, and only sick in water about 4 inches when fully loaded. Great raft but costs more than most are willing to pay.

http://www.streamtechboats.com/

Thanks so far fellas! There's a lot of good info here. I do have a flat bed trailer already; which was my intention to use. If anyone has a connection on a good 2/3 man used that would be helpful for sure!

Back