Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: "trained" trout
From Altoona, PA
I thought stink bugs were supposed to taste awful to the things that would eat them.

Anyway, some stocked trout are very well trained. You see this were they get fed by hatchery workers on a regular schedule. When they are fresh stocked you can throw gravel into the stream and see them rush for the pebbles.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 15:42

From Monessen, PA
Speaking of the hatchery conditioning, I used to think fresh stocked trout would feed twice a day according to the hatchery feeding time-table. I learned over the weekend from a fellow angler at Erie that Steelhead feed twice a day as well, as he explained: "once just before you get there and once right after you leave."

Posted on: 2008/10/14 15:54

From Pittsburgh
So thats a stink bug - they look alot like the squash bugs that eat my zuchini plants in the garden. Yes, I think have seen them along the stream.
I don't see why a trout wouldn't eat them. They eat those big nasty looking cicadas. I've also even seen them eating - and have caught them on - bees

Posted on: 2008/10/14 16:17

From Pgh
Stink bugs may taste awful to trout, but they were definitely eating them that day. I have also seen trout go gonzo over lady bugs which tend to hang out around bridges and such.

But I have never seen the water boil with risers like I did last week on the J when every trout in a hundred yard stretch was rising to flying ants. One of those sights that'll be with me for the rest of my life.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 16:50

I took a little tour of the river this afternoon, quite a few guys on the lower end, not doing much, saw a few rises at the stone quarry, TOO MANY LEAVES!

Posted on: 2008/10/14 19:21

From Pittsburgh
DFG,
The bee was my secret weapon for the Deerfield River in Mass. I saw them taking a couple bees right after a rain one day. Every time it rained, I would pound the bank, just next to the muddy water line, and kill them with a bee. For whatever reason, I don't think I've even tied on a bee since I moved back to PA.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 20:39

From Pittsburgh
David,

About 20 years ago, I was fishing Penns in the fall, when I found out that trout eat bees.
The fish started rising pretty good to something - and they wouldn't hit anything typical for that time of year - BWO, slate drake, or caddis.
A closer inspection of the water revealed lots of dead and dying bees floating down - a bee spinner fall? Anyway, I didn't have any bee patterns that day. But I came up with one when I got back from that trip.
I've never seen the trout rising to bees like that since then of course, but I am ready now
And I have caught a few fish on them - usually in the fall

Posted on: 2008/10/14 20:54

From Lititz/Huntingdon
I saw the same thing happen on Saturday the 11th on the Little J where it dumps into the tailwater from the lake. I was fishing just up from Point Access right along Rt 22 and the tracks. I couldn't make it work for me but I sure did take notice of it!

Posted on: 2008/10/17 18:31

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com