Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: "Thingamabobber" ??

From Greencastle
I was bummed out when I saw them in a store because I came up with a dry fly that I gave that name to. My last name is Bobb (really) and I thought I had a fly worthy of my name. Instead it's a copywright infringement.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 17:18

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
When I stopped at the Fly shop the guy there showed me the balloon rig. He thinks they are even more sensitive than thinkamabobbers. I do like the half hitch tie

Posted on: 2011/11/22 19:17

From "THE VILLE"
Coat the eye in rubber cement let dry and poke a small hole though the eyelet on the 'bobber. No slipage

Posted on: 2011/11/22 23:46
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Eastern PA
Quote:

tracker12 wrote:
When I stopped at the Fly shop the guy there showed me the balloon rig. He thinks they are even more sensitive than thinkamabobbers. I do like the half hitch tie

I know a lot of guys that were using balloons before thingabobber came out. When introduced to thingamabobbers they quickly converted.

I don't like the kink in the butt of the leader. I think wbranch idea of using the slip dudes like on the new fangled Frog Hair indicators is a pure win. Why not?

Posted on: 2011/11/23 1:42

I've never understood why floatmasters aren't more popular. To me, it is the best of everything.

Creates a right angle, is super easy to take on and off, just as easy to move on the leader, and doesn't create any kinks. Works on light tippet or heavy diameters. Comes in all manner of colors and sizes. Even in the summertime, you can usually get away with casting a small one in low water conditions. If they fish are spooked at all, I just go dry dropper.

http://www.floatmasterco.net/

Grey

Posted on: 2011/11/23 15:44

From New Castle, PA
Thingamabobbers are junk. They kink your leader. I have a ton of them that hareline sent me free and they are still in the package. I won't waste my time to even open the package. Have you seen the new ones with the three bubbles that they want you to tie hopper patterns on? Those were a defect at the factory that they had to recoup when the machine messed up.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 22:56

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Quote:
I've never understood why floatmasters aren't more popular. To me, it is the best of everything.

they are great to use..so are the frog hair, both have the leader going through them. just pin where you want them on leader.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 8:35

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From "THE VILLE"
I use thingamabobbers on my furreled leades they dont kink they leader. But on a tapered mono or floro leader I use a little corky with a tooth pick. Easy adjustable and doesnt make the right angle kink.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 8:38
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From pennsylvania
Quote:

Leteras wrote:
Thingamabobbers are junk. They kink your leader. I have a ton of them that hareline sent me free and they are still in the package.

if you haven't opened the package, how do you know that they are junk? come on, hundreds of thousands have been sold.
maybe you're doing it wrong...

i mostly tight line nymph or sight nymph, but when i do use an indicator, i use a thingamabobber. i put it on between bobber stops as suggested by wbranch. they work fine, don't slide and there is no kink.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 8:55

From NW Penna
I have used them with a 1" dropper line.

Tie an improved clinch knot onto the tmb with 10 lb mono (I used red trilene), Then get a drinking straw from a little juice box.
Cut about a 1" piece, tie the line from the tmb around the straw with an improved clinch knot, leaving a tag between the tmb and straw of 1" or less.

To put on you just slip your leader into the straw and slide the knot off of the straw. The knot will draw tight enough to hole in place and it will not kink your leader.

Gave them up for the little styrofoam indicaters with the toothpick.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 9:38

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

bingsbaits wrote:
I have used them with a 1" dropper line.

Tie an improved clinch knot onto the tmb with 10 lb mono (I used red trilene), Then get a drinking straw from a little juice box.
Cut about a 1" piece, tie the line from the tmb around the straw with an improved clinch knot, leaving a tag between the tmb and straw of 1" or less.

To put on you just slip your leader into the straw and slide the knot off of the straw. The knot will draw tight enough to hole in place and it will not kink your leader.

Gave them up for the little styrofoam indicaters with the toothpick.

Thats classic....Bing tries new thing, modifies it to remove the neg effects, then returns to old standby. Speaks volumes.

About twelve years ago me and a flyshop owner were working on a design similar to the Thingamjiggy. We took a piece of heavy mono(30#) and made a loop and stuffed the tag ends into the styrafoam indys. Tried hot glue, super glue, melting the ends, nothing seemed to work to keep the line from falling out. Melting the ends worked but they too kinked the line. I sued thes for an entire season in Erie. It was basically a failure. HE gave up the effort, four years later the thingamajiggy was born. Same exact idea. More reliable but same result.

Cant beat a styrafoam slide on float with a toothpic. IMHO.

Never tried a thingamabober.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 10:49

From Monessen, PA
Here's what I find advantageous or just unique about the thingamabobber:

1. The weight and wind resistence ratio is much better than foam or even yarn indicators, making casting your rig easier;

2. They react very quickly to the subtlest of hits;

3. The manufacturer is not afraid to call them "Bobbers."

Posted on: 2011/11/24 11:36

From Erie Co.
I like either float master or the Polly pom pom.
I feel the thigamabobber is not subtle enough for me. I like that one can see if their rig is at 90*
sometimes casting a thig'bob it is too obtrusive to the conditions.
Even with a polly pom pom I can suspend 2 b'size weights an egg and a weighted nymph.
best, Lot cheaper too.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 16:04

From New Castle, PA
I never said that I haven't used one. I just said Hareline sent me some of them free and I won't open the package because I don't like them. If I run into you in Erie I will give you them for free.

Posted on: 2011/11/24 18:13

Leterass... You sound dumber with every post
Thingamahoppers have been around for a few yrs and are not production mistakes... They were original tied with the single bobber... The segmented bobber body was made for easier casting and a better profile

Maybe you should learn a few things before spouting BS
But it's not like that's anything new

Congrats on a sample pack of bobbers
I'm sure that they'd love to hear you ingorantly slam the product

Posted on: 2011/11/24 18:41

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com