The coffee can sold for $130.00

Posted on: 2009/11/7 8:44

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

Re: "THE MOVIE"
From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:
Quote:
"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman. "

One of my favorite fly fishing quotes...my second being this:

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. Teach him to fly fish, he'll move to Montana."

I like it better this way.

Give a man a fish, you feed him fa dinner, teach a man to fish, he will be late for dinner.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 9:04

From Johnstown, PA
About the right arm thing...........Weren't he and Norman both journalists maybe it had something to do with writing?

Posted on: 2009/11/8 5:34

From South Central PA
This discussion has got me looking around for background on the movie, since it's the only one I own (VHS). By now we know that the movie differs from the book in some important respects, and the book differs from reality in many respects. In no particular order:

Apparently Norman told his children bedtime stories based on his favorite aspects of growing up in Montana, and only much later did he take their advice and publish embellished and modified versions.

Paul's beating death in Chicago after Norman got him a job out there opens up the strong possibility that Norman felt torn in the vein of, "If I hadn't asked him to come out here, he might still be alive," or something similar. We'll never really know unless he opened up to someone about it.

He and Paul were not the only children. They probably had four sisters.

In the book Paul is quite willing to go underneath with a wet fly if that's what it takes to hook up.

Craig Sheffer (Norman in the movie), having grown up in York, PA, and with a father and brother who were also involved in movies and TV, brings a nice PA angle into the mix.

Posted on: 2009/11/8 7:40

From Greencastle
I remember in the book, Norman referenced Paul's right hand a few times. He mentioned how it was "swollen" and muscular from fishing so much. He seemed to think highly of his brothers casting hand, I'm sure Rev. Mclean felt the same way of his son. That was my interpretation.

Posted on: 2009/11/8 13:57

My favorite part is when (the less than expert brother) was asked by the better fly fisherman-

"What are they taking."

"What?"

"WHAT ARE THEY TAKING!"

What was the salmon fly pattern? Bunyon bug?

Love it!

Posted on: 2009/11/9 8:24

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com