"Brownlining"

wgmiller

wgmiller

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123742286341478873.html

I think I'd sell all my gear and take up shuffleboard before going this route. But hey, to each his own I suppose and these guys are good stewards of the waterways by being C & R.

Sounds like they could use my name, but change the location to the lower Susquehanna, Manda Creek or the Quittie.

yeah-pretty tough to snob anybody when you go that route.-well maybe eel fishermen.

Well,another word in my dictionary. Two actually, because I picked up bluelining also. It is not often that Flyfishing makes the front page of the Wall Street Journal. Hey, what ever spins your prop!

wgmiller wrote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123742286341478873.html

I think I'd sell all my gear and take up shuffleboard before going this route. But hey, to each his own I suppose and these guys are good stewards of the waterways by being C & R.

Enjoy your shuffleboard. :)

I'll fish where and when I can, and unfortunately, do not have the luxury of leaving town every time I have the urge. This kind of stuff is fun, and I honestly get much closer to that feeling I get from finding a clean brookie stream than I do by going to the nearest ATW.

"BROWNLINING" ???......man i thought this thread was going to be hilarious.

Well, if you read the article about the guy fishing downtown drainage ditches sporting a 9mm and casting between a discarded sofa and a semi submerged shopping cart while a used diaper bobs by in the current I think it is kind of funny....... Isn't it?

jerseygeorge wrote:
Well, if you read the article about the guy fishing downtown drainage ditches sporting a 9mm and casting between a discarded sofa and a semi submerged shopping cart while a used diaper bobs by in the current I think it is kind of funny....... Isn't it?

At first, until it becomes real. :-D

You seemed like a good guy at the jam, so you're welcomed to join me for a try. :)

it was funny.... when i first saw the subject, all i could think about was someone's kid fishing in a toilet......and i guess the article is not that far off.

jeff

I remember taking a trout in Edinborough,near the college, out of some bed springs.Have seen and fished around ond cars that were used to stablize the stream banks in North Carolina I can't recall catching anything ,but drifting bait past a 37 ford was different.
Sort of sounds like the old days of fishing Schenley when they dumped the mash into the river and the carp fed like pigs at a trough.

I have caught fish that were lying in a tire, much like they would use a rock. They would rise to the fly and fight like crazy to get back in their tire.

Not much different from some of the local streams that are marginal anyway! Think I'd rather having something nice to look at when the fish aren't biting.

scotto wrote:
I have caught fish that were lying in a tire, much like they would use a rock. They would rise to the fly and fight like crazy to get back in their tire.

My buddy and I were fishing natives in the way upper Swattie and as soon as the words left my mouth I heard them: "cast between that old tire and the fridge, I think there's one sitting there". Not exactly a set of words I'd ever expected to spit out while fishing for brookies, but I've caught some nice fish since learning that AMD streams can hold trout.

Boyer

Jay- My daughter graduates Philly U this spring. I have spent a lot of time down there, especially at the Manyunk Brewery, looking over the river and wondering if anything lives there. I would brownline with you anytime! JG

I have been “brownlining” for years. I called it “city fishing”. I love it and I was there this morning. 3 smallies to hand. . I live 2min from the 3 rivers. I have caught gar, large mouth, catfish smallies, carp and pan fish on dry flies.

Trout are not the be all and end all. Samllies IMO fight way better than trout. Carp are way harder to catch.

I once fought a carp while listening to the Foo Fighters playing Live . That was was the bomb.

Stay in the burbs ! Oh and send me your gear when you get over yourself.

One of my favorite brownlinig spots is the Loyalhanna in Latrobe. And yes I have had to dodge diapers.

Last weekend me and the kid went fishing for fallfish and stocked them in our pond.

You make the best of what you got.

3 hours to limes. Chartiers creek has orange ooz- along with carp,sauger,smallies,rock bass and catfish.

Back