Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: (Almost) OT - Camping for 1st Timers?
From Gettysburg
I'll second Jack's suggestion (and others) to pack in plastic bins. Avoid cardboard if you can. Remember, whenever one goes camping it will be wet on the ground. Plastic containers with a good fitting lid are the ticket and you can leave 'em out overnight by your car or on the picnic table.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 7:57

From Greensburg, PA
I saw no mention (maybe I missed it) of a Thermarest or closed cell foam type sleeping pad. I cannot tell you how much better your night will be with one of these. They roll up smaller than a loaf of bread. They insulate you from the cold, damp ground. And the one I have which is actually a 3/4 length Thermarest mat will practiacally allow you to sleep on a bed of rocks and be comfortable. Especially those of us with older achy bones. I will never go camping without one again.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/therm-a-rest/backpacker/

Posted on: 2010/5/4 8:07

Uncle buck

First off, if you bought everything mentioned it would cost a pretty penny. You may wish too look at buying gear from sierratrading post,Cabelas or Campmor. Each has some deals and has excellent customer service- I have sent things back to each place and never had a hassle. You also could get better deals off craigslist or ebay but I never buy from those places so I cant comment on those. Perhaps even Pennysaver or gargae sale too.

I also recommend a tent you can stand up in. It makes changing clothes a snap . I enjoy a Kelty Yellowstone 6 tent. I have logged over 200 nights in that tent . It is huge for one person but that is the way I like it. It is 8 x 8. But it is not so big I cant put it up in the rain and in the dark in just a few minutes. And it is large enough it will handle my plush 7 foot long cot. Guys who get wet camping in a tent- just don’t know how to do it right. IMO- saving $50 bucks on a lesser tent will not be of much comfort when it is 330 am raining and you are all cramped up. There are a myriad of tents out there today- I have not shopped for one in years so I can recommend one off the top of my head.

A ground cloth which really is just a piece of tarp can be had for a few bucks- I rarely use one truth be told. But then again I have been off the ground for several years now.

Sleeping bag. I have a minus 20 degree bag because I no longer ever wanted to be cold. I used it was week on the Delaware and it wasn’t too much when it was high 30’s in the morning. But you can get by with a 40 degree bag if your going to be camping from say May to October.

Sleeping pad-this is something you will want. Again dozens to choose.

Headlamp- if you don’t have one you will want one. It can be used on stream and used around your campsite. Unless your doing some heavy duty cooking I don’t see a need for a lantern really. I lived 3 months last year in my tent and I never felt like I needed a lantern.

Cooking- ie stoves/mess kit. I would skip it unless you think you are going to be camping a lot. I try to eat a non-cook breakfast and just pickup a coffee on the way to the water if possible. Lunch- non-cook also, PBJ or other sandwiches. For dinner it is usually late and I am tired and at that point don’t feel like cooking and cleaning anyway and eat out. Again, it might not be possible do to these things based on location but the vast majority of the time it is possible. Most of time these are fishing trips where I happen to be sleeping ion a tent and its not really a “camping trip.” It is just to exhausting to do all the cooking and cleaning up to me.

If it was me I would'nt skimp on the tent or sleeping bag .

Posted on: 2010/5/4 8:24

Re: Uncle buck
From Monessen, PA
Akid, did you mean you WOULDN'T skimp on tent and bag?

Posted on: 2010/5/4 8:28

Re: Uncle buck

When I write long posts the page keeps wanting to keep scrolling back up and I have a hard time fixing things. Truth be told I wote a better post yesterday but because the page kept jumping around I quit. I wrote this one in Word. Not sure if that is because of my hoopdie computer or a site flaw. But I did order a new computer yesterday- whoowhoo!!!!

Posted on: 2010/5/4 8:33

From Florida
Thanks for all of the additional responses and info everyone; I only saw them a few minutes ago.

I took a quick look at the websites mentioned. I think I'll also head down to the local sporting goods store and crawl into a few tents to get a feel for thier sizes before deciding on one.

Are there any features/materials of construction I should look for? I'd also like to keep the costs of the tent and sleeping bag to under $100; is this reasonable, or should I look to spend more?

P.S. - I forgot to mention the air mattress; I figure that limiting myself to $100 for all three would probably not be a good idea.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:01

- Ray Bergman

From Monessen, PA
Mike, I think you'll have a tough time keeping that budget. Call around to family & friends or check Craig's List. Buying New, I'd say (and I'm a cheapskate) you'll be in the ranges:

Tent $69.99-$119.99
Bag $39.99-89.99
Pad/Mattress $19.99-59.99

Maybe grab a nice tent and try to borrow a bag and mattress/pad.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:18

From King Of Prussia, Pa
IMO, spend money on a good sleeping bag vs. a good tent. You can get a pretty decent tent from wally world for relatively cheap. For the longest time when I camped I never used a tent. I would just use a small backpacking hammock and hang a tarp over it if there was a chance it would rain.

Also, if you plan on cooking over an open fire bring aluminum foil. There's almost nothing that can't be cooked by wrapping it in foil and tossing it into the fire.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:20

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
While a pad/air mattress is a definite nicety and will make you more comfortable, honestly, if this is a one time thing for you, you can do without.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:24

From Greensburg, PA
If its a one time thing...don't buy anything. Borrow some gear.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:41

From New Castle, PA
If you are camping at Poe paddy during the Jam, DEFINATELY get a pad or air matress to use under your bag. I believe all the tent sites are gravel and if I recall, the rules state that you have to put the tent on the gravel. Not a very good combination for a restfull night.

If you are camping someplace where you can set up on grass, then you might be OK without it.

Also, I'll second the suggestion of getting a tent at Wally World. Just don't get the cheapest one. I got one last year that is pretty decent. As long as it has a waterproof floor you will be in good shape. (Is that the right term for the floor of a tent?) The Wal-mart tents are more than good enough for one or two trips a year. If you plan on doing a lot of camping then a better tent might be worth it.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/5/4 19:14

From LV
I'm of the opinion that a 20 degree sleeping bag is a must, you never know what time of the year you'll need it. I've been upstate in June and July when the night temps were in the 30's. Bring whatever food you may need, and plenty of drinking water about five gallons is enough for one person.
A good tent is a must, I like the kind that goes up fast with the poles thru the top , I can't tell you how many times I arrived at my destination and it was already raining or just starting to. A head light. There's probably something I'm forgetting but I'm sure the others will get the rest.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 19:52

From Chester County

Posted on: 2010/5/7 9:12

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com