Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: $70,000 to FF with Jimmy Carter

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Well:

1. He immediately signed over a huge asset, the Panama Canal, for nothing at all, after all of the U.S. money made to build it.

He honored a treaty. Shame on him.

2. The Shah of Iran was a huge U.S. ally and moderate voice in the region. When he was challenged by a band of extremists, Carter refused to step in and help, leading to the Islamic Revolution and the Iranian leaders we see now. This also caused the Iran hostage crisis, and Carter was pretty weak in negotiations. He did attempt a military rescue, which went horribly wrong.

The shah was put in there by the CIA in the first place at British Oil Industry request. They actually had a democratically elected president, but he wanted more than 5% of the oil revenue, and the Brits didn't like that. That ultimately caused the hostage crisis.

3. High unemployment coupled with high inflation and high interest rates. The infamous malaise speech, where he attacked Americans for becoming fat and lazy (he was right, but you don't say that!)

He had the reserve jack the interest rates to stop inflation.

The malaise speach was acually true, but ill advised.

4. Energy crisis, oil crisis.

See 2.

5. 3 mile Island. And in hindsight, perhaps the worst decision was to essentially end new nuclear plants and the decision not to run breeder reactors, i.e. trying to store the spent fuel when its perfectly good fuel itself.

I didn't know he caused that.

6. Upset the farmers by not supporting grain exports to Russia.

OK, that's 1. grain embargos are a problem.

7. Gave tons of money to Nicaraguan revolutionists, who used it to set up a totalitarian regime not friendly to the U.S.

OK, make that 2.

8. His brother recieved a huge kickback from Libya to facilitate oil sales. Libya was not exactly well liked at the time.

Still only 2.

Not saying its all his fault, but a lot of bad stuff happened while he was in office.

I'm not a big fan of his either, but I have to admit he was probably the most honest president and that counts for a lot with me.. More honest than Abe, and way way more honest than FDR.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 11:48

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Like I said, I wasn't saying he was the cause of anything. I actually think, especially regarding economic issues, presidents have far less effect than what we give them credit for, and when they do have an effect its usually felt decades later. The exception is when the economic condition is caused by a specific foreign policy issue. Foreign policy, the president has a huge effect, though even then, they're often playing a bad hand handed to them by several predecessors.

So very often a president's legacy is a sign of the times he served under, rather than a cause of it. Carter was no different.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 11:56

From Clinton County, Pa.
Good man, bad president IMO.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 12:16

From Media Pa
IMHO Carter is not honest at all. PM me if you really want details of an interesting lawsuit I filed years ago. Since I got sued once for giving a publically filed complaint to a newspaper I am leery to go into detail here.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 12:30

From florida
Check Wikipedia,has an interesting chart on this.GG

Posted on: 2011/3/9 16:44

From harlansburg
who cares about that guy, lets get back to april vokey!!!!

Posted on: 2011/3/9 17:31

From Ephrata,PA
Has anyone Googled "April Vokey Photo Images"? Oh my God!!!! She's Smokin'!!!! A few bikini shots in there too!

Posted on: 2011/3/9 20:51

From Cleona, Pa
This is what is awesome about this country, the liberals on this forum are standing by the king of the liberals himself Carter, a horrible, horrible President. I really don't care if he is a nice man. He commits to an oath to take care of the country, not do what is in the best interest of the left, which by the way are the minority!

Freedom of speech, that is thanks to the one thing that makes and keeps america, the constitution and and the men and women of the military who defend it!

Bring it on!

Posted on: 2011/3/9 22:00

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Maybe we could get TU national to put up the money and use the opportunity to lecture Carter about the evils of stocking over wild fish at spruce creek???

Hope Donny Beaver isn't at the dinner...

Posted on: 2011/3/9 22:52

From Johnstown, PA
jkilroy......if you think liberal views are in the minority here in America how do you explain US?................NOW? As long as we allow our two party , two philosophy system to prevail they can "Whipsaw" us against each other forever and fill their pockets while they laugh at us. Liberal/Conservative back and forth and nothing gets done , there is more common ground than you think in the way commonfolk view things. As folks move on up the ladder of wealth and success they tend to polarize more and so do their views. We tend to buy into our parties views as we prosper and that is exactly how they exploit us. I would pay to fish with April but not $70,ooo.00.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 6:08

Jimmy Carter is GAY! He can pay me $70000 and then I'll slap him in the face for being a dumbass............

Posted on: 2011/3/10 17:46

is that worse than being a dum trout ?

Posted on: 2011/3/10 17:52

Quote:

pete41 wrote:
is that worse than being a dum trout ?

Yes, anyone who would pay to fish or have dinner with him would be dumbass.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 17:54

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com