Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: $70,000 to FF with Jimmy Carter

What exactly is the rap against Carter? It's been awhile and I don't remember all the history.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 14:24

From Media Pa
Reagan had to clean up his mess and free the hostages in Iran. That's the "rap".

Posted on: 2011/3/8 14:34

From Pittsburgh
He didn't play politics...therefore, he couldn't get much accomplished when working with pols that only played politics.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 14:37

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well:

1. He immediately signed over a huge asset, the Panama Canal, for nothing at all, after all of the U.S. money made to build it.

2. The Shah of Iran was a huge U.S. ally and moderate voice in the region. When he was challenged by a band of extremists, Carter refused to step in and help, leading to the Islamic Revolution and the Iranian leaders we see now. This also caused the Iran hostage crisis, and Carter was pretty weak in negotiations. He did attempt a military rescue, which went horribly wrong.

3. High unemployment coupled with high inflation and high interest rates. The infamous malaise speech, where he attacked Americans for becoming fat and lazy (he was right, but you don't say that!)

4. Energy crisis, oil crisis.

5. 3 mile Island. And in hindsight, perhaps the worst decision was to essentially end new nuclear plants and the decision not to run breeder reactors, i.e. trying to store the spent fuel when its perfectly good fuel itself.

6. Upset the farmers by not supporting grain exports to Russia.

7. Gave tons of money to Nicaraguan revolutionists, who used it to set up a totalitarian regime not friendly to the U.S.

8. His brother recieved a huge kickback from Libya to facilitate oil sales. Libya was not exactly well liked at the time.

Not saying its all his fault, but a lot of bad stuff happened while he was in office.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 14:54

Hey,we had Billy beer and Plains Ga. became a tourist spot-

Posted on: 2011/3/8 15:16

From Madison co. VA (Conway River)
Quote:

fadeaway263 wrote:
Wonder how much the Prof would pay to fish with George W

http://technorati.com/sports/outdoor/ ... -fantasy-bidder-pays-70k/

Thats more dangerous than hunting with Dick Cheney.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 16:51

From SE PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Well:

1. He immediately signed over a huge asset, the Panama Canal, for nothing at all, after all of the U.S. money made to build it.

2. The Shah of Iran was a huge U.S. ally and moderate voice in the region. When he was challenged by a band of extremists, Carter refused to step in and help, leading to the Islamic Revolution and the Iranian leaders we see now. This also caused the Iran hostage crisis, and Carter was pretty weak in negotiations. He did attempt a military rescue, which went horribly wrong.

3. High unemployment coupled with high inflation and high interest rates. The infamous malaise speech, where he attacked Americans for becoming fat and lazy (he was right, but you don't say that!)

4. Energy crisis, oil crisis.

5. 3 mile Island. And in hindsight, perhaps the worst decision was to essentially end new nuclear plants and the decision not to run breeder reactors, i.e. trying to store the spent fuel when its perfectly good fuel itself.

6. Upset the farmers by not supporting grain exports to Russia.

7. Gave tons of money to Nicaraguan revolutionists, who used it to set up a totalitarian regime not friendly to the U.S.

8. His brother recieved a huge kickback from Libya to facilitate oil sales. Libya was not exactly well liked at the time.

Not saying its all his fault, but a lot of bad stuff happened while he was in office.

And signed away any rights to build breeder reactors in the Nuclear Non-proliferation treaty.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 17:59

From Madison co. VA (Conway River)
Quote:

NoMoreCornChuckin wrote:
RLeep and Osprey, I didn't see anyone here use the word "Hate". I liked Jimmy too, but I didn't think he was a good president AT ALL. He was one of the worst IMO, but you couldn't help but like him. Talk about putting words in someone's mouth.

He's a good person but was a bad president. He wanted to be a peace maker, but it was the wrong time for that.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 18:18

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
For one he totally killed the intelligence community that has taken years to build back.

But I have to say I liked he wife and she i really smart. Her and Jimmy visited North Korea after he left office while I was working in Seoul. They both prepared after ation reports on the visit. Ros was outstanding and her attemtion to detail on her observations was remarkable.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 18:42

From either at the tying desk or on the river
Spend the 70K now. Soon it will have the buying power of 30K at the rate the printing presses are running.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 5:59

From Johnstown, PA
Chuckin..........you're right and I apologize , he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box either , and Reagan would have done great things had he not died in office.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 6:08

From Harrisburg
?

Posted on: 2011/3/9 6:16

From Johnstown, PA
Howdy there Dan i was asking about y'all on the dog thread. Shame about ol Ronnie huh?????

Posted on: 2011/3/9 6:40

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>and Reagan would have done great things had he not died in office.>>

ROFL~!!

Mr. Corn: Please note that I did not use the word hate in my post that you seemed to take exception to. And my views of Carter the man and his presidency remain unchanged. I liked him as a President and for the most part, I like him as an ex-President.

But in this medium where it can sometimes be difficult to discern what somebody actually means to convey, I do apologize for any misunderstanding.

This is the Main Forum and I don't want to clutter it with political opinion, so just me be brief about a couple of things.

The following are/were true of Carter as a President:

1) He was by nature inflexible and ill suited to working with the Congressional leadership of his party. This cost him.

2) I largely see the matters of the Panama Canal and Iran as being examples of the bill coming due for a long history of active American interference in and manipulation (sometimes forcibly or through covert activity) of the internal affairs of various regions and various nations. The process that built the Panama Canal was an example of this sort of manipulation. It was a natural and ethical thing that Carter righted this offense. Incidentally, the treaty that turned the Canal Zone over to Panama contains a clause that guarantees the US in perpetuity a right of military intervention to safeguard its national interests.

The matter in Iran probably need not ever to have happened at all. We (the CIA, actually) as a portion of our Cold War policy, deposed a democratically elected leader in Iran in 1954 and facilitated the restoration of the monarchy in order to stabilize the country under leadership favorable to US goals and policy.

The Shah, while friendly to our interests, suppressed his people brutally through his internal security force, the SAVAK. He was a dictator, in his own way no better than the Islamists who overthrew him. The whole thing was a powder keg waiting to blow. And it happened to blow on Carter's watch. A man cannot be charged with arson because a building he happened to be walking by suddenly bursts into flames. If there is any fault to be assigned to Carter in the Iran matter, it, IMO, is that he chose to shelter and coddle the Shah in this country after he was forced to flee Tehran. This further inflamed the Islamists and made the hostage situation even more difficult to resolve.

It is perfectly natural for a nation to act in its own interests in its external affairs. But when these actions put us in fellowship and alliance with despots who are no better than the people we see as threats, there is often an eventual high price to be paid. We paid this price in Iran.

3) The runaway inflation of the Carter years is most directly and causally related to the economy-disorting wage and price controls put in place by Richard Nixon. By personality and disposition, Carter was unable to do much about this through the use of the levers of government. He was somewhat brittle, aloof and did not work well with the necessary people. But he did not cause the economic woes of the late 70's.

4) When fishing over spooky fish in low water, a light rain that causes enough surface disturbance to occlude the fish's window can often mean fast and furious dry fly action over fish you couldn't get within casting range of before it began to rain.

Cordially,

Bob

Posted on: 2011/3/9 9:45

From Pgh
FYI -- Carter is no dummy. Not by a long shot. Granted, he wasn't the most effective president, but at 156 his IQ level was one of the highest ever to hold the office. (Einsteins was 160)

Posted on: 2011/3/9 11:29

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com