Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

#1 PA Stream vs Other States

From Philadelphia, PA

This is likely a pointless exercise, but I thought I'd satisfy my curiosity.

I was looking at what the PFBC has deemed PA's Top 10 Trout Streams, and it got me to wondering how most of us view our home state water.

If you were to choose what you think is PA's best stream, where do you think it would rank in a states like MT, WY, OR, ID, etc?

Would it rival top streams in those other states? Would it fail to make the top 50? Top 100?

Posted on: 2011/4/10 10:00

Re: #1 PA Stream vs Other States

Many PA streams would rank high. Great hatches, wild trout and some nice scenery.

It's just different.

Many western rivers are very large and are trout water for 50 miles or more. For example; Deshutes,Madison,Yellowstone, Bighorn, Green, North Platte.

I suppose since there is bigger water in the west the fish can tend to run large there as well.

Probably also say that PA streams tend to be pressured more because they are smaller in general and perhaps make for more challenging fishing. Typically, if you are a decent angler here in PA you will have no trouble tangling with the western trouts.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 10:06

From Jefferson Hills, Pa
The best stream or river in the state is the one your headed to after a weeks worth of work.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 10:26

From Chester County
Quote:

hendeylathe wrote:
The best stream or river in the state is the one your headed to after a weeks worth of work.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 10:37

A huge fraction of the streams in PA have been decimated by one form of pollution or another at some point in their history. The Letort, Spring Creek, the Little J and many others have lost the diversity of insects that they once supported. Stocking over wild fish prevents wild trout from flourishing in many PA streams. Wherever they might rank, they'd rank higher if we took better care of them.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 10:37

At times everything comes together on the western streams to the point where you feel you are in Paradise[or any other valley].
I always felt I wasn't quite there in the east.
the Cumberland valley limestoners were close but the humidity could be rough even on a 20 something kid.lol
it was always fun though even when I fell in,got skunked etc...
For the ultimate in weather,scenery and pretty good fishing I would have to give the nod to Montana in the early fall,but there was that stream in Colorado and Penns creek,..it's all good.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 11:06

From Philadelphia, PA
My personal impression -- and it is an impression, not a judgement based on years of experience fishing rivers all over the country -- is that even the best PA streams (as good as they are to us) would fail to impress individuals whose home waters are in some of the aforementioned states.

It seems like the influence of population (which brings pressure, polution, etc) have taken their toll on our historic streams, a toll that won't be fully reversed in our lifetimes, or perhaps ever.

Storied rivers and streams in other areas of the country unquestionably have greater fish populations (often several orders of magnitude higher or more), predominantly wild fish populations (where the opposite is true in PA), larger fish, less pressure, etc.

Though it will likely earn me a lashing on this board, I often find myself wondering what's so great about our great PA streams.

Don't get me wrong, I've had amazing days on water in central PA and elsewhere in the state. Those days are just far less common than their counterparts.

Though I think it is in many ways a good thing, I think PA trout fisherman focus on the minutiae of our sport in order to form the image of PA's greatness (from a fly fishing for trout perspective), while those in more fortunate locales just go catch fish.

Sometimes I wonder if we're not a victim of our own marketing, so to speak.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 11:23

Edited by greenlander on 2011/4/10 12:07:27

From LV
If you were to take the top ten limestone streams in PA I'd have to say because of the length of the season they'd be better than anything in those other states. But that's just me.
BTW you left out Maine, which to me is the second most important trout state in the east. It has more intact brook trout populations than any state and as a huge plus it also has native salmon. There is much more wild country in Maine than PA.
I've never seen the states ranked as to mileage of trout streams, but if I were a betting man I bet PA is either #1 or #2.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 11:54

Mileage of trout streams take into account a river like the Yellowstone can be 90 miles long and 200 yards wide?/lol

Posted on: 2011/4/10 12:08

From LV
By my calculation there is no less than 22,000 miles of trout water in PA. That doesn't even account for the mileage not surveyed. Other than MT who's got more?

Posted on: 2011/4/10 12:13

Delaware,he says ducking and running.
Maybe Pat will come by and work it out for us.
Going by length time width [but not volume] I would guess Wyoming,Idaho,Colorado,California and Alaska
Probably 200 small streams in the upper big hole valley alone.
don't forget the Western states have hundreds of brookie type streams that nobody bothers to fish.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 12:24

Quote:
By my calculation there is no less than 22,000 miles of trout water in PA. That doesn't even account for the mileage not surveyed. Other than MT who's got more?

I expect that almost all the western states have significantly more than PA. Those states are much bigger, much higher in elevation and contain much larger remote areas. I also expect that upstate NY and Maine have more wild trout water than PA.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 13:04

From State College PA
I'm within 45 minutes of 5 outstanding (blue ribbon) wild trout streams that people travel 100's of miles to fish. If I'd make the trip to Tea/honey creeks I'd add one more destination and if I counted Logan branch as a separate stream one more yet. I can fish before and after work everyday on two different streams (with different conditions/hatches/properties) from April-Oct. Out west, you have to travel great distances for such diversity.
I vote PA- besides, I'm here right? call me a homer.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 13:35

From LV
One thing in PA is Within an hour of my home I can fish at least 100 wild trout streams, there aren't many places like that. 1 1/2 hours and it triples.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 13:47

When I lived in Bozeman mt.
5 miles to Gallatin
20 miles to Madison
20 miles to Yellowstone,50 miles to the Missouri,90 miles to Yellowstone Park,50 to the Jefferson.
and 50 streams loaded with brookies,20 limestones within 30 miles.
Next -lol
Just having fun on a Sunday-
I loved Pa. as that turned me on to trout fishing but no comparison.
truthfully streams like Yb and most others would be considered ditches in the west.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 14:11

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com