Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: #1 PA Stream vs Other States

From Greensburg, PA
The only thing that makes Penns, Spruce and the Little J less attractive to me than any ofo the streams I frequented when I lived in Idaho is that they are just as far a drive from where I live now as those were. Maybe I just need to move. The other thing is that there was more open, un-posted water. But the streams themselves are right up there with many of my favorite western streams.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 14:18

From collegeville, pa
Im thankful to have a stream (20 minutes away) with wild browns rising at 8am in mid april...oh yeah it fishes 12 months of the year too.

west vs east is apples and oranges.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 14:56

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

govtmule wrote:
Im thankful to have a stream (20 minutes away) with wild browns rising at 8am in mid april...oh yeah it fishes 12 months of the year too.

The idea that trout fishing out west is a vacant sport all winter is a misconception. There are plenty of western fisheries that can be fished in the heart of winter ... Famous water like the Gallatin in Montana and the Frying Pan in Colorado come to mind.

I think year-round fishing out west is less common, but I think that's for a variety of reasons and not a result of the fact that there aren't any fish to be caught in Jan/Feb/etc.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 15:31

Chinooks
great winter fishing
but also can be 30 below the next week.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 15:58

From florida
Winter steelie,Feb. 2011 taken in Oregon.Lots of winter fishing out west.

Attach file:

jpg  !cid_381.jpg (79.17 KB)
1159_4da20fd1c8c19.jpg 1024X762 px

Posted on: 2011/4/10 16:15

From Bozeman
Don (flybop) lives and guides in Montana and misses Penns. He says it rivals some of the MT streams.

Personally, I enjoy western fishing a lot, but still prefer to fish the eastern streams. Maybe I am just more comfortable around here, but I would take penns or BFC lit up with hatches over a day out west, regardless of conditions.

I can see keeping the majority of my fishing in PA pretty much forever. We have lots of great water.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 16:15

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

greenlander wrote:
Quote:

govtmule wrote:

The idea that trout fishing out west is a vacant sport all winter is a misconception. There are plenty of western fisheries that can be fished in the heart of winter ... Famous water like the Gallatin in Montana and the Frying Pan in Colorado come to mind.

I think year-round fishing out west is less common, but I think that's for a variety of reasons and not a result of the fact that there aren't any fish to be caught in Jan/Feb/etc.

I agree. I fished about 250 days a year in Idaho. Spring creeks and tailwaters for the majority of it but all year for sure.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 21:09

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:Maybe I am just more comfortable around here, but I would take penns or BFC lit up with hatches over a day out west, regardless of conditions.

That whole "lit up with hatches" conditional isn't exactly a minor detail, though.

Isn't that the same thing as saying, "I'd take the absolute best possible day on Penns over a random day out West."

If so, I would too.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 21:31

From Pittsburgh
I'd rank the Delaware river right up there with any of the best western streams

Posted on: 2011/4/10 23:06

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Mileage of trout streams take into account a river like the Yellowstone can be 90 miles long and 200 yards wide?/lol

Chaz is right. PA is #2 in miles of "identified" wild trout water. Alaska #1. And PA is #1 in wild trout stream "density", i.e. if Alaska weren't so dang big we'd be higher. We have a much wetter climate than the west = more streams. I say "identified", because somewhere like Maine or even NY may compare favorably to us if they catalogued every little trickle that holds trout like we do.

Where we fall to the west is simply size. They have big rivers fed by snowmelt. With few exceptions, our big rivers get warm. But the tribs to those rivers are small trout streams, because of the climate we have far more than the west, and collectively they more than make up the western mileage advantage of the big rivers.

So their mileage is the big trout rivers. Sure, the tribs hold trout too, but it might be 20 miles between tribs. Big country. Here, in many parts of the state, you go up one of those marginal rivers, like Pine Creek, and its literally less than a mile between the mouths of trout streams, which may branch a half dozen times into separate little trout streams.

In a question like this, 1st, I don't think a fishery that relies on stocking, fingerlings or otherwise, deserves any spot in the discussion. Our only rivers that can even compare are the LJR, Penns, and the D. And frankly, I think all 3 would fail to impress a westerner.

As for our spring creeks. Again, we have the density of them, there's a ton of em here. But lets not forget the west has them too, and in quality, they're probably better out there.

IMO, I love small streams, and I think PA, as a whole, ranks favorably to the west. But I don't think we have any particular fishery that ranks up with some of them out there. Our advantage is that if you want to change streams, you can be there in a few minutes. Out there, it might be 200 miles.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 8:14

From Eastern PA
Quote:

greenlander wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:Maybe I am just more comfortable around here, but I would take penns or BFC lit up with hatches over a day out west, regardless of conditions.

That whole "lit up with hatches" conditional isn't exactly a minor detail, though.

Isn't that the same thing as saying, "I'd take the absolute best possible day on Penns over a random day out West."

If so, I would too.

Read the statement again. I highlighted the important part for you.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 8:21

Quote:
That whole "lit up with hatches" conditional isn't exactly a minor detail, though

Yes, but Penns and BFC are "lit up with hatches" probably half the days of the year.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 8:34

Frankly, if you got the money and time and could devote life to trout fishing, the thing to do would be:

Go south for the winter. Say, the smoky's area. Then come up to PA for March through the end of May and catch the fantastic progression of hatches we have at those times. Around the end of May you start tracking north, ending up, say, in the Adirondaks by late June. Then go west in July, and spend July till the snows come in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, or Colorado.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 8:41

From Bozeman
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Quote:
That whole "lit up with hatches" conditional isn't exactly a minor detail, though

Yes, but Penns and BFC are "lit up with hatches" probably half the days of the year.

Correct. The end of april through low water and warm temps is pretty much a constant conveyor belt of bugs.

I'd take a central PA stream in may over anything else. No contest. While some (or all) of you may disagree, I maintain that our better streams are among the best in the country. It's just a different experience.

Western guys fly to PA now and then for a reason.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 9:09

Quote:
The end of april through low water and warm temps is pretty much a constant conveyor belt of bugs.

The problem with Penns (not so much BFC though), is that its only fishable for maybe half of that time, though. The first to muddy and the last to clear. Penns is real tough when she's ragin, even for streamers. Just too much water and wading is tough.

Then again, the famous western rivers are blown out straight through mid-summer, so....

Posted on: 2011/4/11 9:15

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com