Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

'Newbs' at the jam?

From Duncannon, PA
Well, I never thought it would happen (at least this year), but my girlfriend actually pushed pretty hard on wanting to go to the jam.

We both like fishing, drinking, and crass conversation, so based on what I've read in the other jam-related threads we should fit in.

Anyway, is there any kind of actual sign up? Have the dates been set officially? I saw someone mentioned Hemlock Acres campground, is that where everyone is planning on staying?

So...is anyone else who's fresh to fly fishing planning on being there, or are we going to be the lackeys who still guess most of the time?

TIA for any info!

Posted on: 2009/1/30 9:44

Re: 'Newbs' at the jam?

From Bozeman
I have been to two jams. The first time, I saw the discussion on here and decided to say to hell with it and drive up. It's honestly something I look forward to each spring now. I've made many friends, and have fished tons of new water because of it.

Just show up. Look for the PAFF sign hanging at wherever the meeting place is, grab a beer, and start BSing. The conversation naturally turns to talking about where to fish in the morning, and off you go.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:00

From Duncannon, PA
We'd probably head up Thurs. night. Is there a specific weekend selected?

Noticed that 15 May through 17 May seemed to be the big winner on the poll.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:11

From Room 109
All Newbs are requied to bring steaks and beer to share with all of the others.

I personally like a cowboy Ribeye

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:13

From Duncannon, PA
I'll bring a keg of homebrew and the carbonation system along with it. Gonna skip out on the steaks though. I have my doubts as to whether I need to add more colon blockage to a campground full of fly anglers.

I'll see if I can brew something up to hit 8% abv or so. That should get the conversations 'colorful' pretty quick.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:17

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I've fished with a few on the board, but for the jam, I'll be a newbie. I'll likely arrive Friday evening, 7-8 o'clockish, and stay till Sunday. I am familiar with local waters.

I will bring beer and marinated beef or pork to cook skewer style.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:22

From King Of Prussia, Pa
I'm a newb as well, both to the sport and this will be my first jam. When we get closer to the jam and figure out schedules I would be interested in possibly carpooling with others from the philly area. Right now I'm thinking I will be taking at least one day off of work for this, possibly more, so my schedule as far as when I can go is pretty open.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:30

From Monessen, PA
The Jamboree has always come together by someone stepping forward to take the lead. The first one I attended seemed to be organized between Padraic, Paul & Maurice. The same for the next year. I noticed at the second one that Padraic was a little disappointed that his enjoyment of the Jam was diminished somewhat by fussing over organization tasks and so the following year, I offered to help out and became involved. From a core of us four and with input and assistance from many other regulars too numerous to mention, the Jam keeps coming together out of the ether.

However, as much as everyone is asked to help make it happen, every year it seems someone has to step up and decide the when and where. Often times, the choice is clear after discussions and consideration among likely participants and the core gang, and it is finally declared: "here is when and where."

So, hearing no other declarations, this is what I think:

The Jamboree should be held at Hemlock Acres Campground on May 15-17, 2009. You can expect a fire ring gathering Friday and Saturday night. Some people may arrive earlier, some will stay into the next week. Use the Board to make such plans and Maurice, Paul, Jay and I will make sure there is a fire ring somewhere Friday and Saturday around or after dark and coffee gatherings Saturday AM and Sunday AM.

If anyone has an activity they would like to see take place, the way to have it happen is to volunteer to make it happen.

As for being new, my first one, I was nervous, like walking into an unfamiliar bar or arriving at church late. My nervousness was wasted, I was greeted warmly, treated as a friend and was comfortable the entire time. Attending enhanced my enjoyment of the Message Board ten-fold because I came to know some of the participants and for those I didn't meet, to realize they were real folks, different in many ways from me, but united by a love of flyfishing.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:36

From Monessen, PA
By the way, the preceding comment about Padraic was not meant as a put-down. The fact was, he did fuss over organizational tasks more so than anyone else and often missed out on fishing and relaxing as much as he could, trying to make certain everyone else had a good time, etc.

The organization tasks aren't difficult, but they require that to a certain extent you put other people's interest up front near your own. While not a heavy burden, it is a burden nonetheless and the more participants pitch in and take care of themselves (or even help take care of others), the more the organizing crew can kick back and relax and fish.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:41

From Dallastown, PA
I aagree with Jacks comments completely and second the motion for Hemlock on May 15-17.

Motion carried.

Start yer planning.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 10:51

From Bozeman
I'm going to go up the week before, and stay until sunday. I'm not sure exactly when yet, but probably Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

I'd carpool with anyone from the SE. I can do that drive in my sleep.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 11:39

From Duncannon, PA
Never been there before...how far in advance should we get reservations for that weekend?

Posted on: 2009/1/30 11:53

From Monessen, PA
You can probably just show up and still get a space to camp, but if you want to make sure, get it as soon as you can commit.

Posted on: 2009/1/30 12:00

From Delaware Co.
I third the motion for Hemlock acres for the dates May 15-17 .

Posted on: 2009/1/30 12:12

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Perfect. I'll be there.

TroutHunting,

Last year was my first Jam. I felt welcomed and at ease very quickly.

P.S. Bring your rain gear!

Posted on: 2009/1/30 14:42

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com