Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 'Evaluating' Limestone Springs

I didn't buy the book, but I think he did try to justify their inclusion by claiming limestone influence on them. But, both are true freestone streams, and it's hard to imagine even an attempt to suggest limestone influence. I do think he was trying to do a good thing for TU, but he really got carried away with including at least these two.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 9:36

From lancaster county
Sorry to weigh into this so late but I have some insight for you.
Go explore it and never ask anyone if you should.

IMO fishing and the passions or questions you seek out there on the streams are personal. Limestone spring creeks are and always will be my true love. There is nothing like the long flats of gin clear water, the lush watercress lining the banks and that absolute stillness these streams make. You can see what looks like 1 inch of water but is mid-shin deep holding a 20 inch wild trout. Usually by that time, its over and your not going to catch him either.

Not all these streams hold fish like the one above. Some hold much smaller fish. Most of these streams are of low gradient but some move quiet fast.

Walk the stream with a rod like others have said. Ill add that as you do sometimes get in that watercress and kick around. I know of one vastly under fished limestone spring creek near the Allentown area that 90 percent of the fish do not hold mid-channel. In the late fall the water cress has died and after all the leaves have fallen, the trout are under all the leaves on the edges of the stream hiding. This stream also a small spring creek and the holding water is lacking. Most likely you have the same situation.

There are a number of unknown limestone spring creeks to the vast majority, so you just never know. Take it from someone who has personally sought out these streams, many are a bust but the few gems you find are true diamonds in the rough.

I too am curious to the county, but dont tell..........finding them is most the fun

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2011/12/31 2:24

From SCPA
Sal,

That's about as much motivation as could be said. I just figured out that I have some better connections to the property owner on the one than I'd thought so I'm way more confident about inquiring.

The more I think about it, I'm pretty confident about the probability of at least a few stocked fish in some portion of the upper reaches. This stream actually has some deep guts relative to its size where it makes its turns also. Like I said before, I think field runoff is the biggest threat to the possibility of reproduction, but this stream doesn't pick up it's siltation until further on down based on where I've seen it muddy.

One other question to whoever has an answer- are there any 'gives' other than finding the trout themselves that would reveal it's water quality? I can't recall noticing a hatch here, but have not looked for it before either. What causes the cress always present on a limestone run?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/12/31 11:20

From Ephrata, PA
This thread reminded me of this little jewel I found earlier this fall while searching for info on one of the streams Sal wrote about.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 11:52

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com