flipnfly

flipnfly

its not aquatic but fish love em.....

Attachments

• cicada.jpg
    cicada.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 6
Flip -

That's an annual cicada that you're showing there. They're the ones that you hear buzzing in the trees during late summer evenings.
I've never seen them on the water in heavy enough concentrations to get the fish taking them. I guess you have? Or you catch fish on them regardless?

Yeah flip thats a locust....cicadas have an orange abdomen.

Maurice they are both cicadas-Cicadas are often colloquially called locusts,[1] although they are unrelated to true locusts, which are a kind of grasshopper. Cicadas are related to leafhoppers and spittlebugs.

Most of the North American species are in the genus Tibicen: the annual or jar fly or dog-day cicadas (so named because they emerge in late July and August). [1] The best-known North American genus is Magicicada, however. These periodical cicadas have an extremely long life cycle of 13 to 17 years and emerge in large numbers.[1] Another American species is the Apache cicada, Diceroprocta apache.

After mating, the female cuts slits into the bark of a twig, and into these she deposits her eggs. She may do so repeatedly, until she has laid several hundred eggs. When the eggs hatch, the newly hatched nymphs drop to the ground, where they burrow. Most cicadas go through a life cycle that lasts from two to five years. Some species have much longer life cycles, such as the North American genus, Magicicada, which has a number of distinct "broods" that go through either a 17-year or, in some parts of the world , a 13-year life cycle. These long life cycles perhaps developed as a response to predators, such as the cicada killer wasp and praying mantis.[14][15][16] A predator with a shorter life cycle of at least two years could not reliably prey upon the cicadas.[17]

Thanks googlefly :-D .....let me rephrase.....

Thats a green one, the ones that are all the rage are orange. or rather have orange on them.

no actually i have never used one but i had a pic of it and figured id post it i have seen bass take them in ponds but thats about it sorry

Yep. They are closely related. size, shape, etc. are similar. Color differs.

Green = happens every year in small numbers, July-August time frame.

Black and orange - Periodical cicadas. Each area has a "brood". A given brood comes every 17 years (13 years in southern areas). May-June time frame, and in HUGE swarming numbers. So the traveling angler can go find a brood in most years, but the stationary type have to wait a LONG time between local broods.

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/michigan_cicadas/Periodical/

^^^Everything you ever wanted to know. Down the page a bit is the list of broods, you can click and get a map of where they are. The big PA brood is XIV, and won't happen again until 2025.

This year will be brood I. Folks in SC PA, very close to the WV, MA border, may get in on some of the action. Next year the greater Philly area may get some. The extreme SW corner gets some in 2016. And western PA, including the ANF, in 2019. Most of the SE portion of the state goes in 2021. And then the big "most of PA" brood in 2025.

Here is the pattern I used a few years ago. Smashed them. Didn't need to worry about float, mending, nothing. Instant rise.

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

that is a great looking pattern....

Nymph-o
Did u tie that or is it store bought, love the look of that pattern. GOTTA HAVE SOME!!! The last cicada hatch I made 3 trips to the Little J that year and had a blast. Can't wait til 2021 for the next hatch although i found some interesting info. on this site that says there are different hatchs as there are 6 different periodical cidcadas.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/periodical-cicada

No, I didn't tie that. I bought that actually at the time of that amazing cicada hatch at a fly shop.

Back