Yough Bug, what is it?

albatross

albatross

The trout were going wild for this bug for hours yesterday on the Yough. This bug is clearly not one of the big 3, Caddis, May, or Stonefly. I had no imitation close enough for the fish. What the heck is it?

P7080005.jpg

How's this?

http://bugguide.net/node/view/570331

Thanks Pat. Your link looks to b a reasonably close match, but I wonder if sawflies are aquatic?

Thats it Alby...thats the one that I saw. Nice picture. Just when you think you don't need any more flies.

No, sawflies are not aquatic.

If you're absolutely sure it was aquatic, there are a number of aquatic wasps. Well, not really aquatic. But parasitic, and lay their eggs within other insects or other insect eggs, many of which are aquatic. Thus, they "dive" in search of hosts. You'd have to search the species, I've no clue.

But while sawflies are a type of wasp, they are not aquatic, and they're the only type I know of that don't have the thin "waste". So perhaps I'm way off base on this one, I dunno.

Browsing Troutnut, it looks like it might be a member of the midge family (Chironomidae). These were near size 16, so they would be the largest midge I ever saw.

Could be some sort of midge, but I doubt it.

*++Looks like it's wings are not fully unwravelled ... that would indicate an aquatic insect. I've seen a multitude of midges on the yough, but that's still a big midge. What was thier behavior on the surface... drifting, fluttering, dancing?

*++Looks like it's wings are not fully unwravelled ... that would indicate an aquatic insect. I've seen a multitude of midges on the yough, but that's still a big midge. What was thier behavior on the surface... drifting, fluttering, dancing?

David, they were drifting and dancing. I'm sure the leg movement was a key for the fish. These bugs were the dominant hatch Sunday all afternoon and into the evening. The fish were definitely keyed on them. Standing still and letting the river flow by me there would be a bug in arms reach every 10 seconds or so.

I have another photo, not quite in focus, that may show the wings better...
P7080002.jpg

How about Genus Stictochironomus? http://bugguide.net/node/view/246133 Pretty close match...
NKKK6KSKAK6QJ0NQ10EQ10WQZSAQHS1QF0NQ102QRSWQTK5KAKXKAKUQA0LKEKKK10QKWK5QD00KT0HKC0GQD0AQ.jpg

Greg -

I didn't really notice those things on the river monday evening. The fish did give us a pretty tough time though. We caught a few on BWO's, caddis , and sulphers toward dusk. However, there were quite a few risers that just ignored all of my offerings.
And like any other other flyfsherman, I will now blame it on the fish taking some oddball fly that I've never seen before

The thing that's throwing me away from midge and towards a wasp of some sort is the real skinny neck. But it just may be the way the picture is or something. I'm lost on this one. Carry on fella's.

No question Greg, that is the bug I found. I observed several that looked "Spent" But were in fact pretty lively, because I couldn't get a pic. I picked out an appropriate sized spent caddis, and got a take immediately.

So between six or seven posters here, (Who probably have 100+ years of experience combined) we've never seen this one before!
Gotta love Fly fishing, it can humble ya!

Hey I'd also point out that the eyes seem much larger than any other midge I've ever seen. Something tells me its not a migde. I wish I would have collected a specimen.

It's a type of sawfly

I'm fairly certain it is Diptera, but I don't have a great idea what the family name below that would be. I guess that would narrow it down to tens of thousands of species. I think we can safely rule out the familiar craneflies and midges, which reduces the burden...

Some species of Xylophagus is my best guess:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/50861

http://bugguide.net/node/view/627620

I expect that still leaves dozens of possible species. Pretty much no chance for an amateur like me to ID this to the species level...

BITING MIDGE- CULICOIDES VARIIPENNUS
found in muddy and slow moving rivers, hatches during the hotter months

Back