White flies

henrydavid

henrydavid

I fish the North Branch of the Susquehanna and I'm usually on the look out for white flies this time of year, however with the "extended" trout season we've had I haven't even been near the Susky yet.

I'm wondering if anyone has spotted any white flies as of yet and if so where abouts are you seeing them.

I don't expect to see them for another 2 or so down here on the main Susky

I saw a few a week ago today on the main stem.

Just checking back in, I had 2 terrific nights the past 2 nights with decent white fly hatches and water clarity has improved greatly.

I'm fishing the North Branch of the Susquehanna not far from the Tunkhannock area. Wed. July 29th I witnessed the first white fly hatch I had seen this year, the water was murky and it really hurt the fishing, ended up with 1 small bass.

The past 2 nights with better water clarity I've landed a dozen or so nice smallies each night and have gotten 4 over 16 inches. If conditions stay stable we should have good fishing with this hatch for another week or so.

Here's a decent smallie caught yesterday while still daylight

bJ8uT5e.jpg

2uElY1e.jpg

There was a good spinnerfall last night on the main branch. There were not many fish keyed on them though.

I'm looking at fishing the white fly hatch for the first time this year. I found this great Web page that went over the flies life cycle. It stated how they are burrowing nymphs that look more like a brown drake nymph. Anyone have some good patterns for this? Also as far as size of these bugs go what would you suggest?

Here is the website if you want to check the information
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/820/Mayfly-Ephoron-White-Flies

So since this is a picture of a brown drake nymph would this be a good match for the white fly?

Nvm I can't get the picture to post....

Attachments

• img1-FFMP-110700-DRAKE-04.jpg
    img1-FFMP-110700-DRAKE-04.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4
It seems early for white mayflies, even on the lower Susqy.

Maybe yinz are seeing cream cahills?

I could be wrong of course.

If someone could post some photos, that would be great.

And troutnut.com has photos of both white mayflies and cream cahills. There are some similarities, but some differences too.

About 2 week yet but I don't know anything about them. I also don't have flies tied up yet. That's why I'm looking for some information so I can make some.

White flies (ephoron leukon) come off in mid July on the lower susky. Wrightsville and work upstream over about a two week period. You can set your watch to it.

They also hatch and molt from sub imago to imago during the same night.

In the Susky there are often so many flies in the air and on the water it's hard to get the fish to pay attention to a realistic fly. I've had great success with the pattern in the pic below. If you want to catch fish try it in a size 8 or 10. True story...not kidding.

Attachments

• White Fly Fly Pattern.jpg
    White Fly Fly Pattern.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 5
+1 on the white popper

White popper. All I ever used for LMB in NY on the ponds when I lived on Long Island. Tied my own that were not as fancy asthe one shown, but very effective. GG

45 to 50 years ago, anchored in a jon boat in the Potomac adjacent to the Ft. Frederick campground, my dad and I were having limited fishing success when a blanket emergence of white flies started.

I had never seen anything like it, and as the hatch intensified, I recall becoming a bit alarmed with all the bugs swarming around us. Dad assured me they were harmless, and not only that, the fish would likely start to feed on them.

This was a profound revelation at that stage of my fishing career.

In those days I didn't know what a fly rod was, but nevertheless had some bluegill poppers in my tackle box that I probably bought dirt cheap with allowance money at Western Auto -- without understanding they were too light to cast with spinning (or spin casting) tackle.

I don't recall whose idea it was, but we wound up free spooling those little poppers downstream from our anchored position to some rises and, when they reached the target zone, engaged the bail and tightened the line to get them to pop.

I know we took a few small bass, but the memory fades after that. It probably got too dark, and I imagine hitting other riseforms would have been problematic without lifting anchor, etc.

Anyway, thanks to this thread for triggering that pleasant reverie.

I would imagine all those coffin flies you stocked up on but didn't get to use at the Jam might work. :)

Went across the Catawissa bridge tonight and it was covered in white mayflies. It was a pretty cool sight to see.

Back