Timing for spring hatches...... looking to be early

krayfish2

krayfish2

I've spoken to 4-5 reliable sources and was out on the river myself Saturday.

Some Waters in the mid-state already had some blue quills and hendricksons showing. By my records / guestimate, that's a little early (5-10 days).

In the Poconos, I saw olives, stones, a smattering of caddis, blue quills and hendricksons. Nothing in any great numbers yet but hatches are just around the corner. This also seems to be a little early.

On the NY border, I had some guys report small stoneflies and a few olives. Those rivers are typically 10-14 days behind Central PA. They appear to be closer to 'normal' hatch times.

With that said, low water and bright sun change EVERYTHING. Doesn't appear to be much wet weather in the forecast that I've seen. Get your dry fly leaders stretched and ready you dry fly snobs! LoL

Anyone else seen things differently on their waters?

Fished the Mainstem yesterday. Had a ton of small black caddis, midges, and some olives. Fish were up on the caddis. I figured with the warm water and air there would be more olives, but nope. Fished the West Branch last Friday, and had great olive hatches and fish eating them on top. And it was still March.

This last weekend I watched a lot of stockies rise on the Penny Pack Creek - not sure what they were taking. However, I had more luck on Red Copper John Nymphs than any other.

Water was fairly stained and skies cloudy on Saturday , Sunday it was much clearer (water and weather).

When I can walk to the creek in my waders, not much sense to go elsewhere's for now.

Early using what baseline for "normal?"

The "old normal" or the "new normal?"

Not much going on at Fishing Creek Columbia County. Saw a caddis and a few small black stones. Water is still cold but nice flows for this time of year.

Ron

you can have false hatches this time of year, just a few here and there not a full blown hatch

Sandy,
I got pics texted of Hendrickson spinners from Saturday. That was from the State College region which seems awful early for spinners to be around.

From what I've been seeing locally, if things are going to be happening early, it won't be by very much. On the little juniata for instance, I have seen a stray grannom here and there (about 6 or 7 total over two days). I would say with the warm air temps and current water levels they would have every reason to be coming off early and yet they're not. At least not yet. I can't be on the water at the usual time for the hatch today but I may still go have a look at the stream side bushes. Might as well drown a couple nymphs while I'm at it too.

I can confirm Hendrickson Duns from this past weekend.
I keep hearing Grannoms but not where i’ve been.

And I suspect at least one shop is reporting bugs that no one I know personally is seeing on the water. But I’ve never known a fisherman to let the facts get in the way of a good story.
; )

Not news but Grannoms are on Spring saw clouds of them yesterday.

I was at Spring (FFP) on Sunday. Around 1030am, BWO's #16-18 were pretty heavy and fish were on them up until noon before things died down. I then switched to a BWO emerger and BWO soft hackle wet and still managed to pick up some fish in the riffle areas. I also spotted some small black caddis #18, but didn't try to catch any fish on them.

I apologize for my incorrect bug identification. Without my glasses on, the photo I got by text was not a Hendrickson spinner with egg sac.... It was a male Hendrickson dun with huge genitalia. My bad.

Don’t beat yourself up kray. It’s tough to tell sometimes these days. Easy mistake, could happen to anybody.

A Hendrickson with big bizzles. First I've ever heard of that. Good stuff

krayfish2 wrote:
I apologize for my incorrect bug identification. Without my glasses on, the photo I got by text was not a Hendrickson spinner with egg sac.... It was a male Hendrickson dun with huge genitalia. My bad.

Maybe it "identified" as a female...

I’d say the grannom was on time- you can kiss the grannoms on the J good bye till next year. 4 feet high and rising. Hit them on Spring and one day and on J yesterday but it wasn’t what I expected- got a good 20 minute pulse then very sporadic - from a dry fly perspective.

acristickid wrote:
I’d say the grannom was on time- you can kiss the grannoms on the J good bye till next year. 4 feet high and rising. Hit them on Spring and one day and on J yesterday but it wasn’t what I expected- got a good 20 minute pulse then very sporadic - from a dry fly perspective.

^ yeah Kid, I feel your pain.

I had this week penciled in for a grannom trip out there. The same thing happened last year in the middle of April to mess up fishing the grannoms.

Attachments

• LJ 2018.png
    LJ 2018.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 6
  • LJ 2019.jpg
    LJ 2019.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 6
I'd say the grannoms are/were right on schedule. Mid april seems to be the new norm IMO.
Thirty years ago, the last week of april was the norm

all is good, right on track. I will be preparing myself for black caddis, blue dun, olives, egg sac adams in eggsac green, yellow, brown, with cream bodies, muskrat bodies, black and brown bodies. make sure some are tied spent wing. don't be afraid of size 10. Water up and will be. coachman, cowdung, Hendrickson below surface. that is what I am working on. small fly would be blue quill but maybe a miss because high water. red quills all month long.

maxima12

Back