They're Back! Lanternflies

M

Mike

Saw the first, small, black with white dots, nymphs today. At first from a few feet away I was thinking that there was a jumping spider on my wife's shirt. Then I thought it was a wood tick. When I moved closer I saw the white dots and posture of a lanternfly nymph. I had not seen any that small last year. I then easily found them on a grape arbor, Fig trees, and milkweed once I had the search image. Something was obviously damaging the grape leaves, creating many small, brown spots, which then led me to search the arbor for a sucking insect.

Mike wrote:
Saw the first, small, black with white dots, nymphs today. At first from a few feet away I was thinking that there was a jumping spider on my wife's shirt. Then I thought it was a wood tick. When I moved closer I saw the white dots and posture of a lanternfly nymph. I had not seen any that small last year. I then easily found them on a grape arbor, Fig trees, and milkweed once I had the search image. Something was obviously damaging the grape leaves, creating many small, brown spots, which then led me to search the arbor for a sucking insect.

I just bought one of these bug a salt 3.0 for such an occasion should be in the mail any day now .

https://www.bugasalt.com/products/bug-a-salt-3-0-black-fly-edition?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu7ycnMjN4gIVElqGCh2-awc0EAAYASAAEgL8ffD_BwE

Mike wrote:

I saw my first SLF nymph of the season today as well.

Confirmed sighting in Glenmoore. Here they come...

Interesting article about a possible end or way to control SLFs

https://www.popsci.com/fungi-invasive-species-spotted-lantern-fly-pesticide

Back