Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: The Cicadas ar Coming

From Greensburg, PA
I agree.. this is kind of a bummer. I was hoping to see some near ohiopyle. I'm not giving up on them just yet.

Posted on: 2016/5/28 19:09

From SW PA
I spent part of today around the yough lake. They are there. Not in numbers like I'm seeing outside of the mountains but they are there and making a lot of noise right now. We should be able to fish them on the yough.

Posted on: 2016/5/30 18:10

The cicadas were in full force at linden Hall golf club yesterday. Full on!!!!!!

Posted on: 2016/6/1 10:36

From Ohio
Any word on Cicadas on the Yough yet?

Posted on: 2016/6/4 12:24

From The "Burgh"
I'm going down tomorrow so i can update after that. I rode my bike through Mingo Creek State Park today and was literally dodging cicadas the entire time. In some parts I couldn't hear myself think they were so loud. Really cool to see such a large hatch.

Posted on: 2016/6/4 18:26

From Greensburg, Westmoreland Co.
I had a report of 5 cicadas by floating unmolested just above Ramcatt on Sunday evening. There are some getting on the water, but the fish may not yet be keyed in on them. Fingers crossed.

Posted on: 2016/6/7 0:16

From Pittsburgh
I drove down to the yough river area yesterday to look for cicadas.
Started out in connellsville. Unfortunately, heavy rain on sunday had raised the river 1.5 feet, and made it quite brown. There were cicadas buzzing around there though - and around dunbar creek, where I stopped at next. But it was also gushing and stained.
So, I headed up towards confluence, stopping in ohiopyle for a look along the way. I never heard or saw cicadas there for some odd reason.
Because when I did get up to confluence, I again heard and saw cicadas flying around. And the outflow water - above the casselman river junction - was clear. But I saw no bugs on the water, and saw nothing rising anywhere on that stretch of river.
Then I ran into a friend of mine there. And after talking to him awhile, he suggested we try laurel hill creek. Which we did.
And the cicadas were buzzing pretty loudly around there - and we actually saw a few on the water.
Started fishing some large orange and black patterns. And did get some fish to come up for them - even though we never really saw any rises anywhere.
So, apparently, the bugs have been getting into laurel hill creek, and the fish are aware of them.
As for the yough - when it finally clears, I think it would be worthwhile to try cicada patterns there too

Posted on: 2016/6/7 11:54

From Greensburg, PA
Albatross, How difficult is the wading in that Ramcat section when its running at an average level? I was looking on google maps and it looks like there his some nice rocky structure a short walk around the bend downstream. Is it as difficult as Penns?

Posted on: 2016/6/7 13:03

Ryan,

You definitely need to pick your spots when wading the Yough. There are some huge boulders and equally huge deep holes on the river and one can be in 20 feet of water with a simple stumble. That said, I do wade in spots. I like the riffle right at the Ramcatt access and some of the softer water upstream of there. I find the water immediately downstream of Ramcatt to be more suited to fishing from shore or boulder hopping. Walking down a mile or so you get in to some nice wading again.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2016/6/7 14:15

From The "Burgh"
Wading under 1500 cfs is great. A little tricky, but I like a little challenge. Anything more than 1500 and effectively wading the Yough is very difficult. Over 2k... Boulder hoping is all I'll do.

Posted on: 2016/6/7 16:33

From Dauphin County
I drove through a significant hatch on the turnpike in westmoreland county last Friday. The sound was deafening and the shrapnel of bugs was everywhere.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 12:35

From SW PA
I tied some foam cicadas over the last few weeks and finally got to try them out. Fished out of my boat on the Mon casting to the feeding carp on the shoreline. Sunday we had quite a few looks but all refused the fly. I changed the pattern up a bit and gave it another try tonight. I was able to hook up with a nice carp about a half hour in but my 5 weight was not enough rod for the fish. We battled for 3-4 minutes before it ran me into a bush and I broke the line trying to turn it around. This was right as the sky turned black so we got off the water. I'll be giving it another try later this week with the 8 weight.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 21:41

The Monongahela river drainage is thick with cicadas as is the lower Youghiogheny drainage (Conellsville and North). There are some cicadas on the top half of the middle yough as well.

My personal experience fishing them is limited to Yough Jam we had last Saturday. We caught fish on cicadas on the upper portion of the middle Yough, but it was not going gangbusters there as I've heard it is on some other waters.

Get out there while you can as this event will be trailing off into history in the next week or two.

Posted on: 2016/6/19 14:20

From Lancaster Pa

Posted on: 2016/8/11 13:44

Great video 1Man. I'm a little dubious that they really got all that footage in two days on the water.

There were a half dozen or more of us from the board who floated the trout stretch during the peak of the cicadas. We certainly caught some fish, but not nearly the numbers show in the vid. I suppose i'ts possible that they just happened to float and film on a magical day.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 16:48

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com