Quill

blueheron

blueheron

From the Poconos, Quill gordon?

Attachments

• quill.jpg
    quill.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 8
I'm by far no expert in bugs and such, but this doesn't look like a QG-at least the ones I've seen in NCPA. Maybe a red quill?

Seems too small for QG. Rusty Spinner!

red quill spinner
3 tails is a Hendrickson---2 tails would be a quill Gordon, red quill, or blue quill There are 2 red quills one 3 tail (Hendrickson) and one (Epouris).

Cept, unless I'm blind, that thing has 3 tails....

there for red spinner..its a hendrickson spinner 3 tails

I didn't see that little third wisp when it was on my thumb, pretty sure it had two wide splayed tails, not quite a spinner but dangerously close. That could be the back of the leg in the close-up.

I see 3 tails and he's flipping you the middle one for catching him!

OK, this frustrates me. It looks like a #16 rusty spinner. What more do we need to know? In other words: Quis magis operor nos postulo scio

I learned the latin names for shrubbery as a lad and it turned me off of the proper pursuit of piscatorial pronouns, so I just threw a size 12 brown biot body with light dun wing dry and called it a day. Apparently my thumb is bigger than you give credit for, when I'm done tying cicadas or I start my friday night beer binge, whichever comes first, I'll post some additional views of the quill and the predator that was dining on them.

JackM wrote:
...looks like a #16 rusty spinner. What more do we need to know? In other words: Quis magis operor nos postulo scio

What is the extra work involved with calling it a Ep. subvaria female imago?
A rusty spinner would be a great imitation
But, this is supposed to be a Hatch and Entomology Forum, so the answers provided and the disputes that followed should suffice.

Alright done tying and half way through the binge, done my first, but I'm not here to debate, I just like fish and bugs. And Ry, I practice catch and release bugging, I put that male quill on a bush streamside.

Attachments

• twotail.jpg
    twotail.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
  • beavbow.jpg
    beavbow.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 3
Sorry, I was just having fun. It probably does have a proper latin name.

Never be sorry for having fun, there's not fun in the world as it is.

HEndrickson, the smaller fly looks like a blue quill.

Leptophlebia spinner. Likely L. cupida, but I cant be sure about species. Definitely not an ephemerellid (red quill, hendrickson etc). The hindwing does not have the shallow depression behind the angulated projection along the leading edge.

Back