New to Etymology - help with ID?

B

BTRobertson

Got skunked again at the Yough near West Newton (way too heavily fished in my opinion), so I turned over some rocks in the water and found all these bugs. Are these nymphs and did I find a black stonefly?

Thanks ahead of time.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 11
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 9
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 9
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 8
not a stonefly but dragon fly nymph in second pic
smaller ones (dark) in last 2 pics are hendricksons and the larger ones quill gordons. (whitish one is an instar)

Thanks sandfly. So is a dragonfly nymph a good pattern to use? I've never heard of this nymph being tied for trout, and my one fly-tying buddy said it's an "often overlooked pattern." Your thoughts?

Also, I'm going to have to get some Hendrickson and Quill Gordon nymphs tied up pronto, it seems.

Much appreciated.

Dragonfly nymphs (and therefore nymphs that imitate them) are more common in stillwater environments. We do not have great stillwater trout fishing in PA, but other places do.

Also warm water environments (the Yough in West Newton is a warm water environment).

Thanks shortrod2. It's my guess that the Yough trout may feed on DF nymphs since they exist in plenty, but other streams maybe not so much. It stands to reason that other fish may feed on them, too, so if I fish those I may hook into other species. Right?

BTRobertson wrote:
It's my guess that the Yough trout may feed on DF nymphs since they exist in plenty, but other streams maybe not so much.

Yes, trout are likely to eat dragonfly nymphs where ever they find them. They are more likely to find them on the lower Yough than a cold mountain stream.

BTRobertson wrote:
It stands to reason that other fish may feed on them, too, so if I fish those I may hook into other species. Right?

Yes, but the same can be said of anything a trout would eat.

et·y·mol·o·gy
noun
the study of the origin of words and the way in which their meanings have changed throughout history.

en·to·mol·o·gy
noun
the branch of zoology concerned with the study of insects.

Yes, thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake. I'm studying etymology in my grad work so I mixed up the terms. Thanks for the help.

BT, the Etymology of some of these mayfly names is really interesting.

crepuscular wrote:
BT, the Etymology of some of [d]these mayfly names[/d] entomology is really interesting.

There I fixed it for ya! :-D

crepuscular wrote:

et·y·mol·o·gy
noun
the study of the origin of words and the way in which their meanings have changed throughout history.

en·to·mol·o·gy
noun
the branch of zoology concerned with the study of insects.
I was going to point that out, glad someone else did instead.

Back