Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: March Brown?

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Correct, not a quill gordon. QG's have plain wings. This one is clearly mottled.

Not to mention that those barred legs scream maccaffertium.

Chaz, as far as location, he stated Lancaster County. It was a little early for MB's, but not much, and this was in a region of the state where they would start earlier than most. I didn't see the timing as too out of whack. He also stated that he saw a different kind of mayfly, smaller, and more reddish brown. While it's possible this was the spinner stage of MB, I think it's more likely the other mayfly was Hendricksons. It may have also been a Quill Gordon.

Posted on: 4/30 7:58

From LV
Somehow I missed the fact he said Lancaster Cty. Must be a stream that gets pretty warm.

Posted on: 4/30 15:58

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Somehow I missed the fact he said Lancaster Cty. Must be a stream that gets pretty warm.

Yeah Chaz we get a sporadic MB here in April about every year I see them. Lots of nymphs on the rocks right now. They are giant compared to the other species found in our waters this time of year.

I recall posting a similar post a dozen years ago suggesting it was a QG because of timing but got chastized over the wing mottling. I knew better, sometimes we say things before we think them through.

Posted on: 4/30 18:20

Quote:

Not to mention that those barred legs scream maccaffertium.

Actually, most of the mayflies with "clinger" nymphs (the heptagenids) have barred legs, including the the Quill Gordon.

I'm tempted to say "all" rather than "most", but I haven't seen every single species. The stripes around the legs do narrow the possibilities, though.

Posted on: 4/30 21:05

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com