Isos

A

AFISHN

Having grown up on the Upper Delaware river,I've fished Isos for a VERY long time,but I'm open to get some other opinions/intel of when,where,patterns,how,techniques on fishing Isos.
Thanks
Tom

Iso's are the summer/fall hatch for the Upper D.

They hatch from June thru Sept/Oct

They are big, like around size 10+/-

Iso's usually hatch sporadically all day. No need to wait for near dark for a hatch, you can prospect with a dry and catch fish on top any time during the day.

They usually crawl out onto rocks to hatch. Check out mid stream rocks in the UDR and you will surely see Iso shucks. I've enough duns floating to believe that they also hatch from the water.

Nymphing with Iso patterns works well in the faster water. The nymphs are fast swimmers, they are cigar shaped, have prominent gills, and often have a light colored stripe down the middle of their back. (see pic below).

To get the proper body shape I tie a nymph pattern using lead wire, either lashed to each side of the hook shank or wound around the shank and squeezed flat. I use dental floss to imitate the light colored stripe along the back.

Attachments

• Iso Dun & Nymph.jpg
    Iso Dun & Nymph.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks ,Tom
Very helpful
When you nymp do you try to impart verticle movement tot he nymph?

Undulation.

The nymphs are not rising to the surface to hatch so I use a dead drift....no undulation necessary.

Iso's move quickly, I strip them at the end of the drift, the fish approve.

Have some big rustyspinners ready for late evening spinnerfalls.

AFISHN,

When you get to the end of your drift, don't be afraid to let them swing. I'll bet almost 50% of the strikes come on the swing.

I've had great success with black marabou for the body, leaving a nice little tail for the pulsation, and then a few strands of white caribou down the back. Hold onto the rod tight....

Back