Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Insect ID Please

From Upstate NY
These are a few of the most common mayfly, stonefly, and caddis larva from my local stream and was wondering if anyone could tell me what I'm looking at as far as species? or is it nearly impossible to tell from a photo? Will the adult caddis be the same color as the larva? The green caddis larva not in a dish is the only one found in a casing, the rest were all in rock structures clinging to the bottom of stream rocks. I know enough to tell the 3 types apart but not enough to ID them.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20190922_171020.jpg (140.11 KB)
28684_5e6ba258b61f2.jpg 1280X2276 px

jpg  IMG_20190922_171334.jpg (147.60 KB)
28684_5e6ba2db21f0e.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  IMG_20190922_171103.jpg (145.21 KB)
28684_5e6ba2f15f0d1.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  IMG_20190928_123850.jpg (149.70 KB)
28684_5e6ba3073b617.jpg 1499X843 px

jpg  IMG_20190928_122516.jpg (147.28 KB)
28684_5e6ba31648901.jpg 1280X2276 px

Posted on: 3/13 11:13

Re: Insect ID Please

Not down to species level, but in the first photo, the mayfly at the bottom is one of the "clinger" type nymph, such as a March Brown or Light Cahill. The stonefly is some sort of golden stone.

Posted on: 3/13 12:22

From Upstate NY
Quote:

redietz wrote:
Not down to species level, but in the first photo, the mayfly at the bottom is one of the "clinger" type nymph, such as a March Brown or Light Cahill. The stonefly is some sort of golden stone.

Thank you, that's just the kind of description I'm looking for.

Posted on: 3/13 12:40

From Gettysburg
Quote:

redietz wrote:

Agree. ^

Posted on: 3/13 17:39

From Gettysburg
I circled the stonefly nymphs in green. They're perlids ("golden" stones).

The mayflies, which I think are march browns, are red; the yellow critter is a leech, and the fish circled in pink is tough to ID but likely a dace or darter of some make and model.

The green caddis outside the dish is a tough call but I'd guess a grannom as their larva are bright green. Was the case one of those little, dark, square sided tubes? If so, you probably have a grannom.

Attach file:

jpg  28684_5e6ba258b61f2 - Copy.jpg (110.65 KB)
13138_5e6bfeece691b.jpg 450X799 px

Posted on: 3/13 17:45

Quote:

redietz wrote:

Sorry - SECOND picture (unless the order changed.)

Posted on: 3/13 19:57

From Gettysburg
There's also a scud...

Attach file:

jpg  28684_5e6ba2f15f0d1.jpg (48.47 KB)
13138_5e6c2d33af7c6.jpg 500X281 px

Posted on: 3/13 21:02

From Granville
Is this from a wild trout stream? Or is it a warm water stream that is stocked with trout? I only ask because immediately the critter that caught my eye the most was the assumed leech that I saw. I have never encountered a leech in a wild trout stream around me. The Juniata river is a different story, however, and I've pulled more than a few from my legs from wet wading.

Posted on: 3/14 6:21

Quote:

jifigz wrote:
I have never encountered a leech in a wild trout stream around me.

I have. Not many, but some.

Posted on: 3/14 7:20

From Upstate NY
Quote:

Dave_W wrote:

The mayflies, which I think are march browns, are red; the yellow critter is a leech, and the fish circled in pink is tough to ID but likely a dace or darter of some make and model.

The green caddis outside the dish is a tough call but I'd guess a grannom as their larva are bright green. Was the case one of those little, dark, square sided tubes? If so, you probably have a grannom.

You are correct, that fish is a type of Darter. Those green caddis larva are in small round tubes made from stream gravel, when you walk by they roll off the rocks, there are literally thousands.

Posted on: 3/14 8:53

From Upstate NY
Quote:

jifigz wrote:
Is this from a wild trout stream? Or is it a warm water stream that is stocked with trout? I only ask because immediately the critter that caught my eye the most was the assumed leech that I saw. I have never encountered a leech in a wild trout stream around me. The Juniata river is a different story, however, and I've pulled more than a few from my legs from wet wading.

It's a true trout stream, I get many native and brook trout out of it. Leeches are really uncommon but not unheard of, that's the only one i found out of a lot of flipped rocks. I have been wet wading the stream those came from for ~20 years and never had to remove a leech.

Posted on: 3/14 9:00

Quote:

Rusty_Shackelford wrote:
Quote:

Dave_W wrote:

You are correct, that fish is a type of Darter. Those green caddis larva are in small round tubes made from stream gravel, when you walk by they roll off the rocks, there are literally thousands.

The caddis are probably these:

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/651

That website is awesome for learning about aquatic insects.

Posted on: 3/14 13:15

From Upstate NY
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Rusty_Shackelford wrote:
Quote:

Dave_W wrote:

Sure looks like it, I have visited the site in the past. Thank you for helping out.

Posted on: 3/14 13:32

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

Rusty_Shackelford wrote:
Quote:

Dave_W wrote:

Several caddis larva look like this (color). No doubt a reason why the green weenie works so well in many trout streams.

Posted on: 3/14 17:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>

Copyright 2020 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com